wireless card not detected

my dell 1395 wlan minicard is not detected

quietthought wrote:
> my dell 1395 wlan minicard is not detected

That is a Broadcom card that uses the b43 driver. Have you installed firmware?
If you have network access while in Linux, just open a terminal and enter the
following command:

sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware

After that, you need to configure the wireless with YaST and/or the
KNetworkManager applet.

If you do not have network access while in Linux, go to the web site with the
Novell Forum and check the “Additional Wireless Bits” sticky at the atart of
Networking / Wireless.

Larry

i tried to follow the directions from the additional wireless bits, but the commands wont work for me. Do i separate each command with a semi colon.

quietthought wrote:
> i tried to follow the directions from the additional wireless bits, but
> the commands wont work for me. Do i separate each command with a semi
> colon.

Each line is a separate command. Type the data EXACTLY and follow with an “enter”.

Please send the output when these commands won’t work for you.

Larry

Ok i got the commands to work i think but i after i executed them all i got was an intro to what b43- fw cutter and its usage directions. I restarted still no internet and under network services in Yast it still doesnt see my wlan card. what now i wanted to post the results from the commands but when i tried to write to my windows partition access was denied.

can anyone help me with this problem

so you did this

sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware 

& it just came up with a list of options ?

try this :

1 ) open a console/terminal
2 ) type su & press enter.
3 ) enter root’s password when asked ( nothing will be displayed as you type, this is for security ) & press enter.
4 ) type /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware & press enter.
you should then have the firmware installed. now, go to YaST - network devices - network connections. see if your wireless device is displayed. If not, a quick re-boot normally solves this, then have another look. if it is now there, click on it & then click on configure/edit & fill in the details as necessary

Andy

quietthought,
finally I found your thread regarding the connection issues :wink:
Already tried deltaflyer44’s instructions? As mentioned in the compiz thread, it’s essential that you get your internet up and running IMO!

Yes it just gives me a list of directions to use fwcutter and in the list i see the “-w”: to extract and write to a directory. i dont get a no such file or directory error from the first command so i assume that i placed the tar file in the right place. As for deltaflyers instructions its says “couldn’t resolve host: download.openwrt.org” and installation fails. Am i right in assuming that its still trying to install via the internet and the commands from the Additional wireless bits were meant to circumvent this. Is there a way to manually extract the file and install without using the terminal?