powering wireless card

Hi,

I’m using openSUSE 11 on a new acer aspire 7720z with an atheros ar5007eg wireless card. The card is recognised by the OS, but I have no connection. Under windows xp, I can enable the card with a button seperate from the keyboard, but it won’t work under linux. The bios settings doesn’t have any option to enable/disable the device on boot. Is there anyway I can enable the card on booting into linux?

this should help HCL/Laptops/Acer/Aspire5024WLMI - openSUSE

Thread moved to Laptop
opensuse.org.help.hardware.laptop

I’ve tried both methods on the link you gave me and they both have problems. acerhk says that it’s installed, but the when I go to start the module acerhk it’s not there.

With the acer_acpi, I get this error when I try to make:

make -C /lib/modules/uname -r/build SUBDIRS=/home/mac/Desktop/acer_acpi-0.4 modules
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/i386/default' make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1 O=/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/i386/default/. modules /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1/scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in "/home/mac/Desktop/acer_acpi-0.4/Makefile". Fix it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS. Stop. make[3]: *** [_module_/home/mac/Desktop/acer_acpi-0.4] Error 2 make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2 make[1]: *** [all] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/i386/default’
make: *** [acer_acpi.ko] Error 2

any ideas?

googling ‘acerhk’ and ‘EXTRA_CFLAGS’ yields:
DamagedSpline’s worst nightmare: acerhk compile fixed!
[among others]

But, you have another problem: You are NOT up-to-date on your patches…there
have been TWO kernel updates since linux-2.6.25.5-1, so if you have
(hard-wired) Intenet access, you should upgrade first (otherwise, you will
just have to repeat the driver compile/build after the updates)

Ok, I made the changes suggested by the link you gave me, but it still doesn’t work. The documentation that came with acerhk says that there should be a folder in /proc/driver/acerhk, but it’s not there.

As for the kernel updates, I don’t have a hard-line. Where can I download the updates?

farak wrote:
> I’ve tried both methods on the link you gave me and they both have
> problems. acerhk says that it’s installed, but the when I go to start
> the module acerhk it’s not there.
>
> With the acer_acpi, I get this error when I try to make:
>
> make -C /lib/modules/uname -r/build
> SUBDIRS=/home/mac/Desktop/acer_acpi-0.4 modules
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/i386/default’

make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1
O=/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/i386/default/. modules
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1/scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was
changed in “/home/mac/Desktop/acer_acpi-0.4/Makefile”. Fix it to use
EXTRA_CFLAGS. Stop.
make[3]: *** [module/home/mac/Desktop/acer_acpi-0.4] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/i386/default’
> make: *** [acer_acpi.ko] Error 2

You can fix this problem by opening /home/mac/Desktop/acer_acpi-0.4/Makefile in
an editor. In that file you will find a line that starts with CFLAGS+=… Change
that to EXTRA_CFLAGS+=… to fix this error.

I doubt that upgrading the kernel will make much difference.

Larry

Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear. I’ve made different changes to the Makefile. First by the line that starts with CFLAGS to EXTRA_CFLAGS and then by changing all references To CFLAGS. With either method I get no errors on make and make install, but it still doesn’t work. The FAQ provided says there should be a folder called acerhk In the .proc.drivers but it’s not there