Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Suse 11 samba changes and lanman

  1. #1

    Default Suse 11 samba changes and lanman

    I guys,
    Whats changed in the new version of samba?
    I have an msclient boot disk to pull ghost images from the server. Since upgrading to 11 from 10.3 the msclient no longer connects. I get access denied all the time with incorrect password. Win 2k connects fine but the earlier dos client will not.
    My research today come up with ntlmv2 authentication? and the new version has up't the access requirements, I think i'm an the right track.

    Are there any settings I can use to switch this off so that the msclient can connect?

  2. #2
    PV NNTP User

    Default Re: Suse 11 samba changes and lanman

    Zorrander wrote:

    >
    > I guys,
    > Whats changed in the new version of samba?
    > I have an msclient boot disk to pull ghost images from the server.
    > Since upgrading to 11 from 10.3 the msclient no longer connects. I get
    > access denied all the time with incorrect password. Win 2k connects
    > fine but the earlier dos client will not.
    > My research today come up with ntlmv2 authentication? and the new
    > version has up't the access requirements, I think i'm an the right
    > track.
    >
    > Are there any settings I can use to switch this off so that the
    > msclient can connect?
    >
    >

    As root, add to your /etc/samba/smb.conf,global section, the parameter
    lanman auth = yes. This was the default, but I believe the default was
    changed to no. To verify this execute: testparm -v /etc/samba/smb.conf.
    This gives the value of all the parameters, including defaults ( I think
    you need to su to root first)
    --
    P. V.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,731
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Suse 11 samba changes and lanman

    For suse 11 I get:
    john@suse110:~> testparm -v | grep lanman
    lanman auth = No
    client lanman auth = No
    john@suse110:~>

    For suse 10.3 I get:
    john@suse103:~> testparm -v | grep lanman
    lanman auth = Yes
    client lanman auth = Yes
    john@suse103:~>

    Thanks for the heads up Zorrander
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  4. #4

    Smile Re: Suse 11 samba changes and lanman

    Thanks PV and swerdna, with both settings works a treat...

    There's still so much to learn. I have never used the -v option before (I have never needed to).

  5. #5
    Will Honea NNTP User

    Default Re: Suse 11 samba changes and lanman

    Zorrander wrote:

    >
    > Thanks PV and swerdna, with both settings works a treat...
    >
    > There's still so much to learn. I have never used the -v option before
    > (I have never needed to).


    Indeed it works! Now I don't have to go tearing hair to see WTF changed
    from 10.2/3 -> 11.0 - that one tip fixed all 6 machines here. That little
    goodie needs to be at the top of swerdna's excellent how-to!

    --
    Will Honea

  6. #6
    PV NNTP User

    Default Re: Suse 11 samba changes and lanman

    Will Honea wrote:

    > Zorrander wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Thanks PV and swerdna, with both settings works a treat...
    >>
    >> There's still so much to learn. I have never used the -v option before
    >> (I have never needed to).

    >
    > Indeed it works! Now I don't have to go tearing hair to see WTF changed
    > from 10.2/3 -> 11.0 - that one tip fixed all 6 machines here. That little
    > goodie needs to be at the top of swerdna's excellent how-to!
    >

    Honea;

    This was a decision by the Samba team, not Suse. I think it was with
    3.0.30, but maybe not until 3.2.0.
    --
    P. V.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,731
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Suse 11 samba changes and lanman

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Honea View Post
    Zorrander wrote:

    >
    > Thanks PV and swerdna, with both settings works a treat...
    >
    > There's still so much to learn. I have never used the -v option before
    > (I have never needed to).


    Indeed it works! Now I don't have to go tearing hair to see WTF changed
    from 10.2/3 -> 11.0 - that one tip fixed all 6 machines here. That little
    goodie needs to be at the top of swerdna's excellent how-to!

    --
    Will Honea
    Checking it out right now :-)
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •