Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: 11.0's wireless support is very bad!!

  1. #1

    Default 11.0's wireless support is very bad!!

    I've tested built-in wifi card (atheros driver) and external usb dongle (zydas 1211) which worked on other distro and opensuse 10.3. Now they don't even work on 11.0 GM, what is going on?

    I hope someone is fixing the issue.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,645
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: 11.0's wireless support is very bad!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
    I've tested built-in wifi card (atheros driver) and external usb dongle (zydas 1211) which worked on other distro and opensuse 10.3. Now they don't even work on 11.0 GM, what is going on?
    Is this a rant? or a call for help?

    If you used 10.3, then you are aware of the Novell/SuSE-GmbH philosophy with open source Linux, not to include out of the box support for proprietary drivers. This means no out-of-the-box support for atheros and likely not for your zydas-1211.

    Now the community (which means YOU and me) are trying to make this easier, but we need helpful contributions from users like YOU and like me, to address this.

    In the case of atheros, there is support for most atheros implementations by using the madwifi driver, with guidance here:
    Atheros madwifi - openSUSE

    ... various users expressed problems with the madwifi rpms that were initially available (although I have read conflicting reports on that). Still if you look at this thread here:
    Madwifi-kmp issues With 11.0 - openSUSE Forums
    you will see the effort made by the community in this forum to help provide an interim solution. Note especially the efforts of harryc.

    Now this is what I mean by a community. If we work together we will get this working.

  3. #3

    Default Re: 11.0's wireless support AR5007

    Thanks for the reply. I was going to post more info while I collect them.
    Here we go:

    My built-in card is a AR5007EG, which use a special madwifi driver. It is strange because
    Code:
    iwlist ath0 scan
    says it can't find AP
    Code:
    ath0      No scan results
    NetworkManager give me this:

    Code:
    NetworkManager: <info>  ath0: Device is fully-supported using driver 'ath_pci'.
    NetworkManager: <info>  ath0: driver does not support SSID scans (scan_capa 0x00).
    This wifi card is confirmed to work on Fedora 9 using the same driver.

    I also tried ndiswrapper, same errors.

    My guess: issues in NetworkManager, hal or somewhere.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,645
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: 11.0's wireless support AR5007

    Quote Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
    My built-in card is a AR5007EG, which use a special madwifi driver. It is strange because
    Code:
    iwlist ath0 scan
    says it can't find AP
    Code:
    ath0      No scan results
    NetworkManager give me this:
    Code:
    NetworkManager: <info>  ath0: Device is fully-supported using driver 'ath_pci'.
    NetworkManager: <info>  ath0: driver does not support SSID scans (scan_capa 0x00).
    This wifi card is confirmed to work on Fedora 9 using the same driver. I also tried ndiswrapper, same errors.
    I don't have a wireless on my PC. Our family laptop has an intel IPW-2100 that "just works" (under 10.3) and my wife a DLink DWL-G520 that "just works" with the madwifi (under 10.3). I have not tried 11.0 yet.

    The fact you see the same problem with the NDIS wrapper and madwifi makes me suspect you have something configured wrong, or its a problem with your desktop/window manager communicating with the wireless device. You are not using KDE-4.0.4 are you?

  5. #5

    Default Re: 11.0's wireless support AR5007

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I don't have a wireless on my PC. Our family laptop has an intel IPW-2100 that "just works" (under 10.3) and my wife a DLink DWL-G520 that "just works" with the madwifi (under 10.3). I have not tried 11.0 yet.

    The fact you see the same problem with the NDIS wrapper and madwifi makes me suspect you have something configured wrong, or its a problem with your desktop/window manager communicating with the wireless device. You are not using KDE-4.0.4 are you?
    thanks for your reply.
    No I'm using KDE 3.5.9 with opensuse 11.0
    I don't know if I miss some package or bad configuration.
    I tried to setup my wifi almost right after I installed opensuse, which means I didn't change anything major (i hope) when I setup my wifi.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,645
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: 11.0's wireless support AR5007

    Quote Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
    No I'm using KDE 3.5.9 with opensuse 11.0
    There are some threads re: madwifi in openSUSE-11.0. You could look at those, and try the suggestions in those threads. For example these two threads:
    * Madwifi-kmp issues With 11.0 - openSUSE Forums

    * discussion of madwifi problem - with custom built rpms as a fix

  7. #7

    Default Re: 11.0's wireless support AR5007

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    There are some threads re: madwifi in openSUSE-11.0. You could look at those, and try the suggestions in those threads. For example these two threads:
    * Madwifi-kmp issues With 11.0 - openSUSE Forums

    * discussion of madwifi problem - with custom built rpms as a fix
    the first link won't work because it use madwifi 0.9.4 which doesn't support AR5007.
    i tried the second link too and still no luck.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,645
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: 11.0's wireless support AR5007

    Quote Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
    the first link won't work because it use madwifi 0.9.4 which doesn't support AR5007.
    I do know the AR5007 is difficult to get working under openSUSE, but it I believe it can be made to work. For example here:
    Compatibility/Atheros - madwifi.org - Trac

  9. #9

    Default Re: 11.0's wireless support AR5007

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I do know the AR5007 is difficult to get working under openSUSE, but it I believe it can be made to work. For example here:
    Compatibility/Atheros - madwifi.org - Trac
    Yes i've seen that.
    I'm pretty sure I got the driver setup correctly.
    I got this from dmesg:
    Code:
    ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
    ath_hal: 0.10.5.6 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, AR5416, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413, RF2133, RF2425, RF2417)
    wlan: svn r3722
    ath_pci: svn r3722
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:01:00.0 to 64
    MadWifi: ath_attach: HAL managed transmit power control (TPC) disabled.
    MadWifi: ath_attach: Interference mitigation is supported.  Currently disabled.
    MadWifi: ath_attach: Switching rfkill capability off.
    ath_rate_sample: 1.2 (svn r3722)
    wifi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
    wifi0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
    wifi0: H/W encryption support: WEP AES AES_CCM TKIP
    wifi0: Atheros AR2425 chip found (MAC 14.2, PHY SChip 7.0, Radio 10.2)
    wifi0: Use hw queue 1 for WME_AC_BE traffic
    wifi0: Use hw queue 0 for WME_AC_BK traffic
    wifi0: Use hw queue 2 for WME_AC_VI traffic
    wifi0: Use hw queue 3 for WME_AC_VO traffic
    wifi0: Use hw queue 4 for XR traffic
    wifi0: Use hw queue 7 for UAPSD traffic
    wifi0: Use hw queue 8 for CAB traffic
    wifi0: Use hw queue 9 for beacons
    ath_pci: wifi0: Atheros 5424/2424: mem=0x51300000, irq=11

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,645
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: 11.0's wireless support AR5007

    Quote Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I do know the AR5007 is difficult to get working under openSUSE, but it I believe it can be made to work. For example here:
    Compatibility/Atheros - madwifi.org - Trac
    Yes i've seen that. ...
    If you have seen that, can you explain how you went about addressing it?

    Did you check here:
    Webpin - search result for madwifi rpms
    to see if any of the madwifi drivers packaged there address your AR5007 problem?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •