VNC problems

Good Day,
I am trying to run RealVNC on OpenSuse LiveCD 11.0. I have the OS installed on my laptop. When I start vncserver I still cant connect with windows XP laptop.
I checked the vnc log file and here are the errors I am getting:

Sun Jul 20 13:28:15 2008
vncext: VNC extension running!
vncext: Listening for VNC connections on port 5910
vncext: Listening for HTTP connections on port 5810
vncext: created VNC server for screen 0
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing fromlist!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/, removing fromlist!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font ‘fixed’
xsetroot: unable to open display ‘mikey-linux:10’
vncconfig: unable to open display “mikey-linux:10”
xterm Xt error: Can’t open display: mikey-linux:10
twm: unable to open display “mikey-linux:10”

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Michael

windows xp does not use vnc. Try RDP (microsoft’s remote desktop protocol). Using KDE? Try krdp.

I am using the windows version of RealVNC on the windows system.
the issue I am having is the vncserver on the Linux side.

M

Did you go to YAST and enable Remote Administration?

I just finished that process. It installed a couple packages, and here is the log file output. I still am not able to connect from realvnc viewer on my XP system.

20/07/2008 15:01:37 Xvnc version X.org/xf4vnc custom version
20/07/2008 15:01:37 Copyright (C) 2001-2004 Alan Hourihane.
20/07/2008 15:01:37 Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Constantin Kaplinsky
20/07/2008 15:01:37 Copyright (C) 1999 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge
20/07/2008 15:01:37 All Rights Reserved.
20/07/2008 15:01:37 See TightVNC: VNC-Based Free Remote Control Solution for information on TightVNC
20/07/2008 15:01:37 See http://xf4vnc.sf.net for xf4vnc-specific information
20/07/2008 15:01:37 Desktop name ‘X’ (mikey-linux:4)
20/07/2008 15:01:37 Protocol versions supported: 3.7, 3.3
20/07/2008 15:01:37 RGB format 8 8 8
20/07/2008 15:01:37 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5904
20/07/2008 15:01:37 Listening for HTTP connections on TCP port 5804
20/07/2008 15:01:37 URL http://mikey-linux:5804
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/local, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Speedo, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/uni, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/CID, removing from list!

Thanks
Michael

The openSUSE firewall is more than likely blocking VNC. I believe there is an option under Remote Administration in YaST to open a port in the firewall for VNC, but then you have to make sure the server is using that port.

You can also just disable the firewall, but that may be overkill.

ya thats the only thing I can think of. I was able to run vncviewer on the linux box, and connect to the server with out a problem. So I know the server is running. I need to find out which port to open. Do I need to use port forwarding on my router? Although that might open the port for the whole internet to access it, and I dont want to do that :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help

Michael

Ok I just temporarily disabled the firewall and the XP system connected with out a problem. so I know its the firewall. Now I just need to figure out which port to open :slight_smile:

M

From your first post:

vncext: Listening for VNC connections on port 5910
vncext: Listening for HTTP connections on port 5810

You need to open these ports with openSUSE’s firewall.

windows xp does not use vnc. Try RDP (microsoft’s remote desktop protocol). Using KDE? Try krdp.

The above is not true at all. There are a number of excellent free VNC clients for alternate platforms. Personally, I prefer TightVNC or RealVNC.

Any way, here is some more info that might help. Suse 11 runs “vino” for desktop sharing on port 5900 by default. To enable this, just to the control center and enable “Desktop Sharing”. This Vino setup requires that you are actively logged on to the console first though.

For most purposes, VNC is most valuable by supporting multiple remote sessions (where it is not required to be physically logged in to the console). OpenSuse 11 supports this type of VNC using processes on top of “Xvnc Server”. To enable this, go to Yast and enable “Remote Administration”. By default, Yast enables one VNC port, 5901, with a default 1024x768 16bit configuration. The problem is that there are tighvnc extensions running over Xvnc that most VNC clients don’t support yet. Hence, you will probably need to adjust a few settings. Give it a try and see if your client supports 16 bit or not.

If you client does not support the protocol at 16 bit, then open Yast/Network Services (xinet.d), then scroll down to VNC near the bottom. Edit the first session on 5901 and change the depth from 16 to 24. Feel free to change resolution while you are there if you like. Plus, you can enable VNC sessions 2 and 3 while you are there if you like (on ports 5902 and 5903 respectively). From Linux, you can access these Xvnc sessions with a syntax like:

vncviewer myserver:1 (Screen 1 = 5901, 2 = 5902, etc)

I hope this info helps.

Regards

I have the Both RealVNC viewer and TightVNC viewer on my XP system all connected and running. The main problem I was having was the Suse Firewall, I opened the ports and viola’ it works. The problem i’m having now is, all I have is a single TWM xterminal. When I try to start KDE it gives me an error stating that its already running. How do I get the VNC session to use (or share, i turned on sharing and remote administration) my KDE desktop?

M

Sorry to muddy the waters here – when I fixed the firewall on my system, and figured out the workaround to the colorspace bug (the bug fix for which finally got pushed to my system today – yay!), I had no problems. I could open up sessions from vnc clients on my windows machine with no difficulty.

What I ***AM ***having trouble figuring out is how to create and connect to a persistent vnc session on OpenSUSE 11. Every time I connect right now, I get a new session. What I want is a session that stays put. Basically, I want to run DVArchive (a ReplayTV server/emulator) and to be able to connect, make adjustments, and disconnect – leaving it running.

Is there a way to configure this while running Xvnc via xinetd? Or do I need to run an instance of Xvnc on a dedicated port, without xinetd? The latter seems like the likely answer, but I’d like some confirmation of that, if anyone happens to know. Or a pointer to the right answer would be fine. My searches, so far, haven’t provided answers particularly relevant to the version of the vnc server on OpenSUSE 11.

Thread moved to Network/Internet
opensuse.org.help.network-internet

NX (freenx) can resume sessions, if i remember correctly.

Here is your confirmation…

If you open dedicated vnc session (on port 5902 or higher), your session will be persistent. The vncserver needs to be started as the logged in user.

The inetd vnc session can not be persistent as it runs as user “nobody”. You need to login as your user each time you connect. I don’t know of a way around this.

VNC is not as secure as NX (NX uses SSH for encryption and authentication) NX allows you to resume your REMOTE session that you may have started earlier. I do not believe that it will restart a LOCAL session (a session that was NOT started with NX.