Yet ANOTHER attempt in quitting Windows

Well… I have tried several times to get away from windows. I do not consider myself good at linux and I have attempted several times to run different distributions of it. Most of them ending up in well… going back to windows!

After last night and my machine being a hog again, for no reason I will give OpenSuse 11 a try.

I got my laptop for other purposes and I will force myself into suse.

Any comments and what things i can expect with 11?

Thread moved to Install/Boot/Login
opensuse.org.help.install-boot-login

My suggestion will be install openSUSE with KDE 3.5 and stay away from KDE 4 for a while. Nothing wrong with KDE 4, it is still under development and not matured yet.

You can always ask for help and openSUSE forums are very friendly and helpful.:slight_smile:

KDE 4 does fine for me, but it has given many others problems. It would probably be a good idea to go with 3.5 for now, but you can install both and make 3.5 your default easily enough.

My suggestion: don’t expect it to replace Windows, and check to see if any of your hardware is going to give you problems before you get too far down the road. (A quick google search should suffice)

I cant see my other HDD how can i moun it?

How you want to mount your other hard drive depends on whether you want it mounted just this time, or every time you turn on your computer. If you want it mounted every time, then you can:

1. Create a directory where you want it mounted. For example, my extra hard drive gets mounted to a directory called “Seagate” in /home/user. So the full path is /home/user/Seagate.

2. Start up Yast and go to system–>partitioner. Ignore the “experts only” warning message it gives you.

3. Highlight in blue the partition on the disk you want to be automatically mounted each time you boot up.

4. Click “edit.” Under the “mount point” field, enter the full path of the directory you want the disk’s partition mounted to. I put “/home/user/Seagate” for mine. Make sure you do not have the “Format” option ticked off before you click ok, or it will format your drive.

5. Click “apply,” then exit Yast. You can reboot to test it out.

To manually mount your disk anywhere:

1. su to root. This means: open up a shell (called konsole if you’re using KDE), and type “su” to enter superuser mode. Enter your root password and hit enter. Do not be alarmed if your password does not show up on the screen. This is normal.

2. Make a directory where you want to mount the disk to. For example: if you want to make a directory called “Seagate” in your /home folder, type:

“mkdir /home/user/Seagate”.

1. Type “mount /dev/sdb1 /home/user/Seagate”. That should mount your drive, and if you navigate to the Seagate directory, you should be able to open it up and see all your files on the hard drive there.

2. You may find that you don’t have permission to edit anything in the directory unless you’re root. You need to set the directory privileges to your user account first. Type “chown -R user /home/user/Seagate” and then you will be able to move and create files in it like you would in any other directory.

*replace “user” with whatever username you use.