Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.6.26 vanilla kernel for Opensuse 11.0?

Default 2.6.26 vanilla kernel for Opensuse 11.0?

This may have already been discussed, but if it has I haven't been able to find it. I want to install the 2.6.26 kernel on one of my opensuse boxes so I can use my Happauge WinTV PVR 950 easily. The new kernel comes with support for it by default. However, I can't seem to find an official version of this kernel available from opensuse. There are versions available in the vanilla repository for factory, 10.2, and 10.3 but the only copies of that kernel that I can find for 11.0 are from user repositories, which I would prefer to avoid for something as important as the kernel. I know I can compile myself, but that sort of defeats the purpose of using opensuse in the first place. So is the kernel there and I am just missing it? If not, why isn't it there and is there any plan to add it in the near future?

Default Re: 2.6.26 vanilla kernel for Opensuse 11.0?

openSUSE never updates the kernel version that is issued with that release -
    thus 10.3 still uses v2.6.22, etc.

A distro is much more than a kernel. I keep the distributed kernel around just
    for emergencies, but I always run a more current kernel - I'm using 2.6.26 now.
    Just go to kernel.org and get the "official" kernel sources - that is where
    openSUSE starts. You can use the same configuration as the official one. A
    compressed version of it is at /proc/config.gz and build a new one. When you
    start the make, there will be some new configuration options, but the default
    answer is probably correct. Once make finishes, issue a 'sudo make
    install_modules install' command and reboot into your new kernel. You will see
    the startup commands rather than the SUSE splash screen, but that is what I want
    anyway.

Larry

I'm presuming that you don't want the Factory kernel from kernel:Head repository?
    I'm confused...No, wait...Maybe I'm not...

openSUSE never updates the kernel version that is issued with that release -
    thus 10.3 still uses v2.6.22, etc.
    10.2 and 10.3 both have 2.6.26 vanilla kernels available here:

Index of /repositories/Kernel:/Vanilla

I'm presuming that you don't want the Factory kernel from kernel:Head repository?
    Is the factory kernel compatible with an 11.0 installation? If so that will do nicely.

Factory kernel deleted my video driver and, more importantly, the ivtv kernel module, and there does not appear to be a factor version of that module. Looks like someone compiled a separate driver that should hopefully work with my tuner, I will try that instead.

I just compiled my own kernel, may be u should just do that cause it works cool
    openSUSE 11.0 Kde 3.5.9 Linux kernel 2.6.26.1

My Blog: http://snake1990.wordpress.com

The only reason I wanted the kernel was for the tv tuner driver. Now that I appear to have that there is really no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    The only reason I wanted the kernel was for the tv tuner driver. Now that I appear to have that there is really no reason.
    its very stable as well

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to running a vanilla kernel?

Quote Originally Posted by wehrmacht View Post
    Is there any advantage/disadvantage to running a vanilla kernel?
    Advantage is more hardware support and newer version may be faster and more stable.

Disadvantage is no support for kernel from SUSE and u will have to update and do security updates on your own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast