Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61

Thread: Problem enabling bluetooth

  1. #1
    lukasz_mastalerz NNTP User

    Default Problem enabling bluetooth

    I have problem with bluetooth configuration on Toshiba A300-15D with openSuSE 11 (KDE 3.5) x64. Looks like device isn't started.

    Code:
    linux-4zqk:~ # /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
    Starting bluetooth:  hcid hid2hci rfcomm pand dund                   done
    linux-4zqk:~ # hciconfig
    linux-4zqk:~ # hciconfig hci0 up
    Can't get device info: No such device
    linux-4zqk:~ #
    Has somebody any idea how to enable it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,336
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Problem enabling bluetooth

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:36:03 GMT
    lukasz mastalerz <lukasz_mastalerz@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > I have problem with bluetooth configuration on Toshiba A300-15D with
    > openSuSE 11 (KDE 3.5) x64. Looks like device isn't started.
    >
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > linux-4zqk:~ # /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
    > Starting bluetooth: hcid hid2hci rfcomm pand
    > dund done linux-4zqk:~ # hciconfig
    > linux-4zqk:~ # hciconfig hci0 up
    > Can't get device info: No such device
    > linux-4zqk:~ #
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > Has somebody any idea how to enable it?
    >
    >

    Hi
    Is there a bluetooth directory in /proc/acpi/toshiba/ ?
    Does hciconfig -a produce output?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    up 11:31, 3 users, load average: 0.37, 0.30, 0.46
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09


  3. #3
    lukasz_mastalerz NNTP User

    Default Re: Problem enabling bluetooth

    linux-4zqk:/ # cd /proc/acpi/toshiba
    bash: cd: /proc/acpi/toshiba: No such file or directory
    linux-4zqk:/ # hciconfig -a
    linux-4zqk:/ #

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,336
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Problem enabling bluetooth

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:26:04 GMT
    lukasz mastalerz <lukasz_mastalerz@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > linux-4zqk:/ # cd /proc/acpi/toshiba
    > bash: cd: /proc/acpi/toshiba: No such file or directory
    > linux-4zqk:/ # hciconfig -a
    > linux-4zqk:/ #
    >
    >

    Hi
    I'm assuming this is the built-in bluetooth adaptor? I have a Tecra M3
    here, but need to patch the kernel for bluetooth to work. It's
    currently running SLED, but in other versions on openSUSE I tried, it
    needed pacthing as well.

    If it's a USB one, have you installed all the bluetooth tools etc? Is
    it discovered if you look at the output of the command dmesg or lsusb
    -v

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    up 0:45, 2 users, load average: 0.68, 0.45, 0.60
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09


  5. #5
    lukasz_mastalerz NNTP User

    Default Re: Problem enabling bluetooth

    It's built in adapter

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,336
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Problem enabling bluetooth

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:26:04 GMT
    lukasz mastalerz <lukasz_mastalerz@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > It's built in adapter
    >
    >

    Hi
    Ok, so do you have the program fnfx installed? Check via YaST.

    Else can you try Fn + F6 (Fn = function key) does this lower the screen
    brightness (Fn + F7 to increase).

    The config for fnfx shows Fn + F8 toggles bluetooth on, can you try
    then rerun the command hciconfig -a

    If none of this works the toshiba_acpi.c file needs patching. The one
    in openSUSE is the same version as on this machine (0.18) so I have
    patched this one manually and it works fine.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    up 11:23, 1 user, load average: 0.58, 0.26, 0.14
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    205

    Default Re: Problem enabling bluetooth

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Ok, so do you have the program fnfx installed? Check via YaST.

    Else can you try Fn + F6 (Fn = function key) does this lower the screen
    brightness (Fn + F7 to increase).

    The config for fnfx shows Fn + F8 toggles bluetooth on, can you try
    then rerun the command hciconfig -a

    If none of this works the toshiba_acpi.c file needs patching. The one
    in openSUSE is the same version as on this machine (0.18) so I have
    patched this one manually and it works fine.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    up 11:23, 1 user, load average: 0.58, 0.26, 0.14
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09
    Hi.
    I have the same problem as the original poster and also have a Toshiba p100/105 series (PSPA6U-006005) and a Motorola i736 iDEN phone.
    My question would be... How can I patch the file you've just mentioned? (not trying to highjack this thread SVP)

    Thanks

    Luis C.

    Important NOTE:

    I was able to connect my phone to openSuSE 11 before and could copy photos and music from and to my laptop via bluetooth BUT, to be able to do this I had to install M$windows )double boot), then after windnows had seen my connection and made some files copies to/from phone/laptop, I booted to OS11 and I could see my windows connection in my phone which also worked for OS11 (strange but it did) and after 2 days everything seemed ok until I turned off the phone/laptop and I cuold never see my connection again...
    To end up, the only way I can get a bluetooth connection is booting first in my winxp and reboot to my OS11 distro. and I don't want to have any M$ software on this laptop

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,336
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Problem enabling bluetooth

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:56:03 GMT
    LuisC-SM <LuisC-SM@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > malcolmlewis;1843874 Wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > Ok, so do you have the program fnfx installed? Check via YaST.
    > >
    > > Else can you try Fn + F6 (Fn = function key) does this lower the
    > > screen
    > > brightness (Fn + F7 to increase).
    > >
    > > The config for fnfx shows Fn + F8 toggles bluetooth on, can you try
    > > then rerun the command hciconfig -a
    > >
    > > If none of this works the toshiba_acpi.c file needs patching. The
    > > one in openSUSE is the same version as on this machine (0.18) so I
    > > have patched this one manually and it works fine.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    > > SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    > > up 11:23, 1 user, load average: 0.58, 0.26, 0.14
    > > GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09

    >
    > Hi.
    > I have the same problem as the original poster and also have a Toshiba
    > p100/105 series (PSPA6U-006005) and a Motorola i736 iDEN phone.
    > My question would be... How can I patch the file you've just
    > mentioned? (not trying to highjack this thread SVP)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Luis C.
    >
    > Important NOTE:
    >
    > I was able to connect my phone to openSuSE 11 before and could copy
    > photos and music from and to my laptop via bluetooth BUT, to be able
    > to do this I had to install M$windows )double boot), then after
    > windnows had seen my connection and made some files copies to/from
    > phone/laptop, I booted to OS11 and I could see my windows connection
    > in my phone which also worked for OS11 (strange but it did) and after
    > 2 days everything seemed ok until I turned off the phone/laptop and I
    > cuold never see my connection again...
    > To end up, the only way I can get a bluetooth connection is booting
    > first in my winxp and reboot to my OS11 distro. and I don't want to
    > have any M$ software on this laptop
    >
    >

    Hi
    I used this article here as a basis, but when the kernel updated, I had
    issues so just went in and manually added the patch. Basically edited
    the file and added the bits in.

    http://godlewski.info/toshiba/#ACPI

    You need the kernel source and kernel syms installed as well.

    The question I have to ask is does the directory /proc/acpi/toshiba
    exist? I'm not sure how it goes if this doesn't exist...

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    up 5:53, 1 user, load average: 0.74, 0.61, 0.49
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    205

    Default Re: Problem enabling bluetooth

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:56:03 GMT
    ....snipped....

    The question I have to ask is does the directory /proc/acpi/toshiba
    exist? I'm not sure how it goes if this doesn't exist...

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    up 5:53, 1 user, load average: 0.74, 0.61, 0.49
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09
    Hi Malcom

    Thanks for your prompt response.

    The /proc/acpi/toshiba directory does not exist.
    Now, take in mind that you are using a very old kernel (2.6.16-60). I stopped using SLED after I upgraded to SP1 precisely because I have to patch the kernel to have sound which only worked with a recompiled DSDT.
    Cheers

    Luis C.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,336
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Problem enabling bluetooth

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:56:03 GMT
    LuisC-SM <LuisC-SM@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > malcolmlewis;1844373 Wrote:
    > > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:56:03 GMT
    > > ....snipped....
    > >
    > > The question I have to ask is does the directory /proc/acpi/toshiba
    > > exist? I'm not sure how it goes if this doesn't exist...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    > > SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    > > up 5:53, 1 user, load average: 0.74, 0.61, 0.49
    > > GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09

    > Hi Malcom
    >
    > Thanks for your prompt response.
    >
    > The /proc/acpi/toshiba directory does not exist.
    > Now, take in mind that you are using a very old kernel (2.6.16-60). I
    > stopped using SLED after I upgraded to SP1 precisely because I have to
    > patch the kernel to have sound which only worked with a recompiled
    > DSDT.
    > Cheers
    >
    > Luis C.
    >
    >

    Hi
    Hence the reason to manually go through and add the patch, as the line
    numbers have all changed (??) but no update to the release number....

    I just went through the toshiba_acpi.c file and edited in the bluetooth
    parts then recompiled the modules in acpi after preparing the kernel.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    up 7:01, 2 users, load average: 0.48, 0.76, 0.42
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09


Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •