Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ALSA installation problem and missing sound (ASPIRE 5050)

  1. #1
    aristondarmayuda NNTP User

    Default ALSA installation problem and missing sound (ASPIRE 5050)

    I have problem with my sound. When first install the sound works correctly. But after reboot the sound is gone and message came:

    Starting sound driver: hda-intelWARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-page-alloc.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko': No such file or directory
    FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko': No such file or directory

    When I try update for new ALSA driver (1.0.17) same message came like above. I was very happy when install openSuSE 11.0 cause finnaly I can use AIGLX and Compiz, but now my sound driver not works.

    Please help me how to fix this.

    Regards,

    Ariston Darmayuda

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: ALSA installation problem and missing sound (ASPIRE 5050

    Quote Originally Posted by aristondarmayuda View Post
    I have problem with my sound. When first install the sound works correctly. But after reboot the sound is gone and message came:
    Starting sound driver: hda-intelWARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-page-alloc.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko': No such file or directory
    FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko': No such file or directory

    When I try update for new ALSA driver (1.0.17) same message came like above.
    Welcome to our forum.

    I need more information about your laptop configuration (hardware and software). So please, copy, paste and run the following diagnostic script in an xterm/konsole while your laptop is connected to the internet:
    Code:
    wget http://home.cfl.rr.com/infofiles/tsalsa && su -c 'bash ./tsalsa'
    and when prompted for a password enter your root password. That will give you a URL when it is done. Paste the URL here.

    Also, in addition to that, please provide output of:
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound


    With that information, I may be able to make a recommendation.

  3. #3
    aristondarmayuda NNTP User

    Lightbulb Re: ALSA installation problem and missing sound (ASPIRE 5050

    hi, here the result:

    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    Code:
    alsa-tools-1.0.16-47.1
    alsa-1.0.16-39.1
    alsa-devel-1.0.16-39.1
    alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
    alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.15-48.1
    alsa-firmware-1.0.16-24.1
    alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1
    alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
    alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
    alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.16-57.1
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    Code:
    libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.10-26.1
    pulseaudio-module-lirc-0.9.10-26.1
    pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.10-26.1
    pulseaudio-0.9.10-26.1
    pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-0.9.10-26.1
    alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
    pulseaudio-module-gconf-0.9.10-26.1
    pulseaudio-utils-0.9.10-26.1
    pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.10-26.1
    gstreamer-0_10-pulse-0.9.5-54.1
    libpulse-browse0-0.9.10-26.1
    pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.10-26.1
    libpulse0-32bit-0.9.10-26.1
    libpulse0-0.9.10-26.1
    libpulsecore4-0.9.10-26.1
    rpm -q libasound2
    Code:
    libasound2-1.0.16-39.1
    uname -a
    Code:
    Linux dlegacylinux 2.6.25.5-1.1-default #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
    Code:
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel index=0 probe_mask=3 position_fix=3
    rcalsasound start
    Code:
    Starting sound driver:  hda-intelFATAL: Module snd_hda_intel not found.
    I hope this help.

    PS: Sorry for long post, I don't know how to attach as file.

    Regards,

    Ariston Darmayuda

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: ALSA installation problem and missing sound (ASPIRE 5050

    I think you have a problem with the kernel. Looking at this:
    Quote Originally Posted by aristondarmayuda View Post
    When first install the sound works correctly. But after reboot the sound is gone and message came:
    Code:
    Starting sound driver:  hda-intelWARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-page-alloc.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko': No such file or directory
    WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko': No such file or directory
    FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko': No such file or directory
    and looking at this script output that can't find your sound card:
    Quote Originally Posted by aristondarmayuda View Post
    hi, here the result:
    and noting you have all the relevant alsa apps installed, and noting "rcalsasound start" gives you an error:
    Quote Originally Posted by aristondarmayuda View Post
    rcalsasound start
    Code:
    Starting sound driver:  hda-intelFATAL: Module snd_hda_intel not found.
    And noting the reaction from rcalsasound, I speculate that your sound module was never loaded.

    I noted this in your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file:
    Code:
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel index=0 probe_mask=3 position_fix=3
    How did the probe_mask and position_fix values get there? Did you put them in? What happens if your remove "probe_mask=3 position_fix=3" and reboot? Same problem?

    Based upon the above (and assuming that removal of the "probe_mask=3 position_fix=3" doesn't help) I suspect either:

    a. your installation was bad (did you install from a CD and do the media check at the very start BEFORE the installation to confirm the CD was good ? ) or did you conduct an md5sum check of the DVD comparing openSUSE website md5sum vs your harddrive calculated md5sum of ISO vs md5sum of data on burned DVD? or

    b. you have installed something to break kernel during boot? Maybe you have installed the ndiswrapper for wireless and it is causing problems? or

    c. you have audio switched OFF in your BIOS.

    Can you provide the output of:
    lspci
    and also after a fresh reboot
    dmesg > dmesg.txt (and open dmesg.txt with a text editor, and post that on general pastebin - simplified internet collaboration , submit it, and pass here the URL that you are provided).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: ALSA installation problem and missing sound (ASPIRE 5050

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    c. you have audio switched OFF in your BIOS.
    Another possibility is your BIOS needs updating. For example, I noted this post:
    acer5050

    From what you posted earlier (tsalsa script) your BIOS is:
    Code:
    bios_date:12/23/06	
    bios_vendor:Acer   	
    bios_version:v1.3302
    Check to see if there is a newer BIOS version for the Acer 5050 that addresses your sound problems.

    ie look here:
    ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_5050/bios/
    where there is a 3315 BIOS ... is that newer than what you have? I think it is.

    And I think I found your reference for the "probe_mask=3 position_fix=3" setting: Linux on the Acer Aspire 5050 « Sudo Bash: The World of Nosredna Ekim which is intended to get the front speakers working (but thats ONLY after the sound card is recognized IMHO).

  6. #6
    aristondarmayuda NNTP User

    Default Re: ALSA installation problem and missing sound (ASPIRE 5050

    Ok, I will update the BIOS. After I update what I must do? Reinstall or another fresh install?

    And another problem that I use YaST to remove and reinstall the Sound driver. Everytime I click delete the old sound card driver not deleted (just changed into Not Configured). Then I edit the old sound card driver and set the configuration into normal, the result is an error:

    Code:
    An error occurred during the installation of                
           
    IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller
                                                                                  
    The kernel module snd-hda-intel for sound support                  
    could not be loaded. This can be caused by incorrect               
    module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    If I got this message how to resolve it?

    Sorry for many questions.

    Regards,

    Ariston Darmayuda

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: ALSA installation problem and missing sound (ASPIRE 5050

    Quote Originally Posted by aristondarmayuda View Post
    Ok, I will update the BIOS. After I update what I must do? Reinstall or another fresh install?
    Don't re-install Linux for a BIOS update. Just update the BIOS. As for Vista, ... I have no idea what a BIOS update will do. I would hope nothing.

    If you installed by CD, do check your installation CD (by doing the media check) to ensure the installation CD is good.

    Quote Originally Posted by aristondarmayuda View Post
    the result is an error:
    Code:
    An error occurred during the installation of                
           IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller
    The kernel module snd-hda-intel for sound support could not be loaded. This can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    If I got this message how to resolve it?
    simply rename /etc/modprobe.d/sound to /etc/modprobe.d/sound.bak

  8. #8
    aristondarmayuda NNTP User

    Angry Re: ALSA installation problem and missing sound (ASPIRE 5050

    Ok, I have update the BIOS into version 3315. But some problems came up.

    1st, When I try to boot I need to type option acpi=off so the system can start normally. (I only use openSuSE 11 as my main system).
    2nd, When I login as non root user the sound is off (I have set audio and pulse-* group into my user).
    3rd, When I login as root the sound is on work perfectly (I can use banshee at least )
    4th, This is the most important problem, my wireless suddenly down. I cannot connect into any hotspot at my work place.

    How to make my openSuSE work perfectly?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: ALSA installation problem and missing sound (ASPIRE 5050

    OK, so you have some sound, ... which I believe is a small improvement. So, I still need more information about your laptop configuration (hardware and software). So please, now that your BIOS is updated, copy, paste and run the following diagnostic script in an xterm/konsole while your laptop is connected to the internet:
    Code:
    wget http://home.cfl.rr.com/infofiles/tsalsa && su -c 'bash ./tsalsa'
    and when prompted for a password enter your root password. That will give you a URL when it is done. Paste the URL here.

    Quote Originally Posted by aristondarmayuda View Post
    1st, When I try to boot I need to type option acpi=off so the system can start normally. (I only use openSuSE 11 as my main system).
    2nd, When I login as non root user the sound is off (I have set audio and pulse-* group into my user).
    Reboot, login as a regular user. And then open an xterm/konsole and restart alsa with:
    su -c 'rcalsasound restart '
    (enter root password when prompted)

    And then test your sound then as a regular user. Does that help?

    Try the above with the "probe_mask=3 position_fix=3" in your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file ... and if that doesn't work, remove it, reboot, restart alsa, and try again with the "probe_mask=3 position_fix=3" NOT in your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file.

    Quote Originally Posted by aristondarmayuda View Post
    4th, This is the most important problem, my wireless suddenly down. I cannot connect into any hotspot at my work place.
    Please start a new thread on this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •