Thread: Wow patch messed up wine.

Hybrid View

lunchboxes NNTP User

Default Wow patch messed up wine.

Hi!

Im having trouble with Wow in opensuse 11.0 since the latest patch (the one who nerfed cheat death "yay!")

when running wow which is located at my ntfs readonly D: drive, (yes i have tried to run wow while D: is chmoded as 777, but without any luck)

wine /windows/D/Wow/Wow.exe
    i get the following error message
    Code:
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "DivxDecoder.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\windows\\D\\World of Warcraft\\WoW.exe" failed, status c0000005
    I read somewhere that a guy downloaded the divx codec from the packman repo, or even better set movie "0" in Config.wtf, but either solved it for me.

Ive also tried to downgrade Wow and repair it in windows to the current version, but aswell without any luck.

Copying the 13gb folder to my .wine/drive_c folder "where some people posts that its there it should be" just isnt an option for me due to lack of free space.

So! is there any way to get around this DivxCodec thingie, maybe tell wine where to find it or something?
    Ive tried to find something in winecfg but as you sure can tell by now im hoping to get some awnsers from anyone out here.

lunchboxes NNTP User

Default Re: Wow patch messed up wine.

Im glad to say that being stuborn or how its spelled solved my problem.

I figured that since wine could load the .ddl it must be a execute problem and maybe giving root and the group users 777 would fix the problem.

and presto, i deleted the original mountline for my D: ntfs partition and added

Code:
    /dev/sda5 /windows/D ntfs-3g defaults,force 0 0
    which mounted the filesystem readable to my logged in user and read the .ddl nicely!

wflame NNTP User

Hi

Thanks for posing the Fix you found it helped me with my update to opensuse 11 and getting wow running again.

blackwing NNTP User

I am posting my error code in hopes that any else who is having the same trouble can search their way here.

err:module:attach_process_dlls "DivxDecoder.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z\windows\\E\\game-age\\World of Warcraft\\Wow.exe" failed, status c0000005

many thanks for the fix.
    it should also be noted that umounting the specific device and using mount -w /dev "/dir" will produce the desired effect as well.

Thanks again!

Voltore NNTP User

Hi, I'm new to Linux and am having the same problem as Lunchboxes had.... in fact, my error message is EXACTLY the same as his!

My annoying problem is... I don't know how to implement his fix!
    He mentions it being to do with permissions.. so I tried to run as root, didn't work.
    Also, he gives some code for his 'mountline', but I have no idea where to put it, and don't really understand it either!

Can anyone please help? I'm so close!

blackwing NNTP User

My annoying problem is... I don't know how to implement his fix!
    it's pretty cake, let me explain.

He mentions it being to do with permissions.. so I tried to run as root, didn't work.
    you will need the appropriate read/write permissions for your normal user account (because you don't use your root account for everyday tasks right?!) so cd to the correct directory and run chmod 774 filename to make the directory full control for the right people. However, just having control doesn't mean it's configured correctly.

Also, he gives some code for his 'mountline', but I have no idea where to put it, and don't really understand it either!
    The line given should be appended to your /etc/fstab file so that it can be referenced automatically.

If you would like to get it working without having to reboot the system you can unmount the subject partition with the umount command, then remount it with,
    Code:
    mount /dev/devicename /target-directory -t ntfs
    Happy trails.

pandacarnage NNTP User

this mount command solved my issue.
    thanks