Is it possible to allow small attachments?

It’s probably been asked before, but could not find an entry in here for it, so I’ll just go ahead :slight_smile:

Is it possible to give members (+30 posts or so) the ability to add small (< 500k) attachments to a post.
In my case I’d like to add a patched vmnet.tar for VMware & openSUSE 11.0 that makes bridging over wireless possible.

Linking to other sites could get messy and using a service like rapidshare, well, possible but the link expires and is lost.

What do you guys think?

-Wj

While your intent is honorable, it basically opens up a huge can of worms. While some would use it as you describe, others would take advantage of the capability and use it for less than admirable purposes. It also opens the door for an assumption of liability we’re not prepared to accept, even if any real legal liability is already disclaimed.

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:46:03 GMT
Magic31 <Magic31@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> It’s probably been asked before, but could not find an entry in here
> for it, so I’ll just go ahead :slight_smile:
>
> Is it possible to give members (+30 posts or so) the ability to add
> small (< 500k) attachments to a post.
> In my case I’d like to add a patched vmnet.tar for VMware & openSUSE
> 11.0 that makes bridging over wireless possible.
>
> Linking to other sites could get messy and using a service like
> rapidshare, well, possible but the link expires and is lost.
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> -Wj
>
>
Hi
Why not submit your patch to the vmware community for consideration?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-default
up 18:39, 1 user, load average: 1.22, 1.75, 1.41
GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your answer.
I can understand where you are coming from and looking at it from that side I would not want something like that either…

Malcolm, good suggestion & will be doing that… Don’t have an account there and that thought didn’t cross my mind :wink:

Will be giving this some more thought though, there it seems this will be very limiting for those wanting to contribute in a good way. Maybe create some public ftp dump or similar…?

Cheers,
Wj

Well, at the ubuntu forums, there are only certain filetypes approved and certain size limits for each filetype. Maybe we could use that here?