Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please... What antivirus and how to install

Default Advice please... What antivirus and how to install

I like to have antivirus protection, needed ???
    And how to install.
    Please Your advice.
    Artfreddy

Default Re: Advice please... What antivirus and how to install

At this time, and probably into the future, you don't need anti-virus protection for your Linux installation. If you practice reasonable safety on the web you will probably never be infected with a virus. In fact, there are no viable viruses infecting Linux desktop machines at all.

It is possible to transmit a Windows virus to Windows users even though you cannot be infected by them yourself. If this is something you wish to avoid, then ClamAV is the way to go.

I, myself, do not run anti-virus software. I don't share files with people and I don't open attachments. The only software I ever install is from the repositories. My chances of getting infected with malware is fairly close to none.

69_rs_ss NNTP User

Default [MOVED]Re: Advice please... What antivirus and how to install

Artfreddy wrote:
    > I like to have antivirus protection, needed ???
    > And how to install.
    > Please Your advice.
    > Artfreddy
    >
    >
    >

Moving from Network to Looking for Something forum.
    opensuse.org.help.looking-for

Quote Originally Posted by mooreted View Post
    At this time, and probably into the future, you don't need anti-virus protection for your Linux installation. If you practice reasonable safety on the web you will probably never be infected with a virus. In fact, there are no viable viruses infecting Linux desktop machines at all.

It is possible to transmit a Windows virus to Windows users even though you cannot be infected by them yourself. If this is something you wish to avoid, then ClamAV is the way to go.

I, myself, do not run anti-virus software. I don't share files with people and I don't open attachments. The only software I ever install is from the repositories. My chances of getting infected with malware is fairly close to none.
    Thanks for the answer. Gonna follow Your advice.
    Have a nice weekend,
    Artfreddy

I don't worry about anti-virus on Linux either. You can install clamav if you're worried about mail attachments, or if you dual-boot with Windows and are worried about a virus in your Windows partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    I don't worry about anti-virus on Linux either. You can install clamav if you're worried about mail attachments, or if you dual-boot with Windows and are worried about a virus in your Windows partitions.
    Oh now, i dont wory abbout windows, it's only Linux here....
    I have tested abbout 25 different Linux-distros, and now on me age it is time to make a final choise.
    Now its the moment to try openSUSE on me apple, reason, i want to buy Leopard, but me Mac must have more MB than 512, and i dont gonna make that cost... Its the same like vista, you need more MB to let them work alright.
    Nice weekend,
    Artfreddy

If someone was simply concerned about sharing a few files or Email attachments, then I would just use web-based anti-virus scanners to check those and not go about installing a full blown AV program on the system. There's really no need for going that route unless you run a mail server or deal with a lot of file sharing.
    <>---><^>

Linux does not need any antivirus. But I do recommend that you install Clamtk to scan your windows partitions. It's very effective

nucleuskore
    "The Future Is Open"
    http://www.neville.in
    http://www.linuxrocks.in

Quote Originally Posted by Cryovac View Post
    If someone was simply concerned about sharing a few files or Email attachments, then I would just use web-based anti-virus scanners to check those and not go about installing a full blown AV program on the system. There's really no need for going that route unless you run a mail server or deal with a lot of file sharing.
    No, i dont do file sharing. But i receive a lot of mail from gallerys with Art-Photos... There i am a litle concerned about.
    Thanks to all for the advice.
    Artfreddy

Quote Originally Posted by doctorjohn2 View Post
    Linux does not need any antivirus. But I do recommend that you install Clamtk to scan your windows partitions. It's very effective

Okido, thanks.
    Artfreddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast