Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suse11/Kde4 vs Windows Vista

/earth/europe/uk/england/west-yorkshire/leeds/mystreet/myhouse

Default Suse11/Kde4 vs Windows Vista

As you may have read in another of my posts, I braved the install of Suse11 and Kde4 the other day. Since I've been using it, I have noticed that is seems to be trying to be very much like the sucky Windows Vista - or perhaps KDE4's not to blame but the bundled 'desktop effects' - eg Alt/Tab and moving the cursor over a minimised icon.

Anyone else noticed this, or am I being paranoid android?

Default Re: Suse11/Kde4 vs Windows Vista

I don't believe the Vista comparisons are all that fair.

You can turn off many of the effects in KDE 4.1

I would say that with the effects it is more like KDE wants to build in some of the fancy effects of Compiz Fusion for those that don't want to run compiz.

At the same time if you didn't disable compiz some of the effects you see may actually be compiz and not KDE 4.1 Kwin effects.

Just to muddy the waters...if you want, you can try KDE4 on Windows:
    SourceForge.net: kde-windows Project: Platform Download

blackbelt_jones NNTP User

They couldn't be more different, In fact, they're complete opposites!

Vista sucks. KDE 4 blows.

Like all red blooded sexually potent male Linux Geeks, I too hate KDE4, but don't be surprised if KDE4 gets better. If Vista gets better, be very very surprised!

Just because a desktop is pretty doesn't mean it is a Mac clone, or a Vista clone. Mac OS X, Vista and KDE 4 are all vastly different, yet one day I hear that KDE 4 is just a lame Vista clone, and the next I hear it is a lame Mac clone.

KDE 4 is built upon Solid, Decibel, Sonnet, Phonon, Akondi, Nepomuk, etc. These unique features really differentiate KDE from OS X and Vista. I don't really use OS X much, but I'm pretty sure KDE 4 is the only one of the bunch based on SVG for graphics as well.

In addition to SVG rendering, Plasma is unique in being able to swap out containments, and dragging plasmoids into or out of panels, etc. Plasma also supports outside widgets like Google Gears, OS X widgets, etc.

Calling KDE 4 a Vista clone just isn't based on facts.

Thumbs down Re: Suse11/Kde4 vs Windows Vista

#! /bin/bash

sarcasm
    I am a proud owner of Windows Vista
    /sarcasm

I really don't see the similarities. I do find it slow and buggy atm. Some of that is my Nvidia drivers. Some just needs to be worked out. But it's not a Vista clone.

I don't understand the "KDE 4 looks like Vista" argument either. It's as if people see a glossy black panel on the bottom of the screen and decide "Hey it's Vista for Linux!"

Perhaps that's the reason openSUSE 11 has a plain looking grey panel as the default for KDE 4...

Although it's natural for people to compare things...I agree with enderandrew, some people can't seem to accept KDE (or even *nix apps in general) on its own merits.

But to address the OP:
    You can turn off KDE4's effects.
    1. Select "Configure Desktop" from the main menu (should be in the Favorites tab if you haven't modified the list)
    OR
    press Alt+F2 and type "systemsettings"

2. Select "Desktop"

3. You should arrive at the Desktop Effects settings

If you are using Compiz you should run "ccsm" in the prompt brought up by Alt+f2.

Otherwise if you are running KDE 4.0.4 I would suggest installing KDE 4.1 from the Build Service. I've found KWin and its effects to be much better.
    Primary OS: openSUSE 11.1 + KDE4
    Secondary OS: openSUSE 11.1 + Gnome

Tertiary OS: Windows 7 Ultimate Beta
    VirtualBox'ed OS: Mandriva 2009.1 Beta

Blog Entries

actually, isn't vista just copying effect that were available in linux before suse11 and kde4

ie; compiz

was here before vista
    and isn't vista on the chopping block anyway
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Since I've been using it, I have noticed that is seems to be trying to be very much like the sucky Windows Vista
    I just don't get this - can someone explain it to me like I am a two year old? Why is it that another OS is labeled "sucky" because it is the most used and is different from the the OS used by the one throwing the insult?

My dell came pre-installed with vista, and last semester, I used it since one of my instructors required Internet Explorer for some online course that used activex.

It was just like any old Windows OS to me. In fact, I felt it was more stable than XP. Throughout that entire semester I only had one BSOD, and that was because of something I was ****ing with.

Now the semester is over, and 11 is out, I have 11.0 with KDE4. It works just as I would expect from an completely reworked desktop environment.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, some people like a glossy black look, and that it has nothing to do with the Vista Start Bar? Nevermind the fact that under what you see it still performs like Linux, and not Windows.

People would do well to remember that Linux is abot freedom. The Windows hatred is just stupid. Some people prefer XP, others Vista, and we prefer Linux. There is no reason to put down another OS, it's all about freedom to choose. The same thing applies to Desktop Enviroments - You don't like KDE4? Fine. Go back to 3 until you feel it is ready. You're paranoid it looks like Vista? Right click your desktop, choose desktop settings, and change you're plasma theme to 'Aya'... that simple.
    lysdestic@suseforums:~>make install --not-war

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast