Got a few questions about running suse from a VM in windows

Hey, I installed vmware and ran suse 11.0. However I can’t figure out how to set a root password for yast, since I normally do that when I install the OS.

Also I tried running make, but I got a message saying “bash: make command not found.”

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

What is ‘a root password for yast’? Your root user’s password may be
the same as the first user you created (probably your user) or you may
be able to try using sudo.

If ‘make’ doesn’t run it’s probably not installed. ‘yast -i make’

Good luck.

adaykin wrote:
| Hey, I installed vmware and ran suse 11.0. However I can’t figure out
| how to set a root password for yast, since I normally do that when I
| install the OS.
|
| Also I tried running make, but I got a message saying “bash: make
| command not found.”
|
|
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIgLSG3s42bA80+9kRAnu6AKCBO8Orpa/BV/aEYlB2/gZfk71/nQCeImRG
psC3JQBK6hSJZ8g/e2F08oE=
=fT4Y
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

You don’t setup anything on a vm, the os is already installed. So I never got a chance to set up a user, there already was one setup. So I can’t do an su -.

(Sorry, this was written before your reply)

As AB said above:

When you install OpenSUSE 11.0, there will be a section called User Settings (in the left-hand column) where you create the first user: you. There is a checkbox underneath the Name, Username and Password fields labeled: Use this password for system administrator. If you left this checked, which it is by default, then the root password, the same password you use to login to YaST, will be set to the same as your first user (again: you). Although it is convenient to have the same password, it’s suggested for security reasons that you make two separate passwords for your root user and your normal user.

Hope that clears things up for you. :slight_smile:

First, I’d recommend that unless your VM is pre-configured with a purpose (eg a virtual appliance), I’d recommend you download the SuSE 11 ISO and make your own VMs.

That said, as others have noted, the new default configuration when creating a new SuSE 11 install is that root will share the same password as the first normal User account that’s created. Yes, that tidbit of info may not be enough if your VM is also configured to auto-login…

In that case, short of cracking security I’m not sure you have a ready way of gaining root permissions without knowing the root password.

I’d recommend asking the VM creator for the password (if you haven’t done so), maybe trying a few simple tries like “password, admin,Password1”

And if that doesn’t work, just go get the SuSE ISO and build your own VM.