Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software Needed for Linux

Default Software Needed for Linux

Hi,

Since sometime, I was thinking about all the complaints that there is not such and such software for linux.

Trying to help and facilitate for newbies, or normal users I made a thread in the Soapbox called "More Software for Linux Than for Windows (surprise!)"

But still, I believe there is a lot of windoze software that needs to be ported to linux natively.

So I thought of making this thread.

Users may point at software they use under Windoze or OSX, or whatever operating system (even another linux distro), that they can't find an equivalent (after checking and searching the links provided in the other thread above).

Developers and experienced users of course are kindly asked to contribute, decide on a project to develop for linux as the discussions here indicate.

I believe and hope, this approach will help in having a 'complete' linux world, making it easier and even more attractive to adopt linux.

My personal humble opinion is that by using the already existing infrastructure in the open source (applications, libraries, drivers,... etc.) lots of new applications can be easily developed.

I hope this suggestion will be interesting.
    Hardware Fujitsu Siemens T4310
    OpenSuse 12.3, Gnome 3, Live persistent USB

Default Re: Software Needed for Linux

Now, to start:

I would like to introduce a piece of software I couldn't find something simillar to it in linux. If someone knows about a similar equivalent please let me know.

It is called "subject search spider", it searches the web for your query, summarizes what it finds, then present you a readable text report. I used a trial version under windoze and it helps me a lot in researching different subjects.

I beleive we have all the components -in open source- to develop a similar application. We have lots of search engines, spiders, summarizers... etc.)

This piece of software can be checked here

I hope this example helps clarify my previous post.

Well, any ideas?

Blog Entries

Is this any different than the usual "what applications do you want ported to Linux" thread?

I have a couple pieces of software that keeps me from comfortably moving my wife to Linux:

Microsoft Publisher : after trying to do desktop publishing with Word for a number of years I'd rather not go back and Scribus/InDesign seems to be way more powerful than what I need. Basically I need a capable layout control that can easily control labels (do once, all match).

Microsoft Visio : at work I was using Dia until I could get my hands of Visio, which is much more powerful even though it has its issues.

Microsoft Visual Studio : I'm using .NET at work and Monodevelop is "alright", but not great (especially since I'm using VB.NET and Mono focuses slightly more on C#)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    Is this any different than the usual "what applications do you want ported to Linux" thread?

I have a couple pieces of software that keeps me from comfortably moving my wife to Linux:

Microsoft Publisher : after trying to do desktop publishing with Word for a number of years I'd rather not go back and Scribus/InDesign seems to be way more powerful than what I need. Basically I need a capable layout control that can easily control labels (do once, all match).

Microsoft Visio : at work I was using Dia until I could get my hands of Visio, which is much more powerful even though it has its issues.

Microsoft Visual Studio : I'm using .NET at work and Monodevelop is "alright", but not great (especially since I'm using VB.NET and Mono focuses slightly more on C#)
    Hi dragonbite,

This is almost the same idea, but:
    1. The thread you mentioned is archived and closed. Nobody can discuss.
    2. I never saw it. Maybe others sidn't as well.
    3. I saw some posts there mentioning M$ Excell! This is in no way the idea of this thread or the other thread in the soapbox called "More Software for Linux Than for Windows (surprise!)"
    4. Related to the previous point, I have mentioned that saying that there is no internet explorer for linux is the same like "there is no M$ windoze xp for linux"
    5. The same applies to comparing M$ Acess to Kexi. There is Kexi which is an equivalent, though not as powerful. But there exists Kexi.
    6. The second post in my thread hopefully clarifies my point, let's use the already existing resources available in open source to create 'new' applications for linux.

In this thread I mentioned clearly as well, to look in the links in the other thread "More Software for Linux Than for Windows (surprise!) and if no equivalent found, then we are definetly missing something.

I hope I am not repeating or replicating any other thread.

I just hope this thread contributes to further development and advancement of linux in general and opensuse in particular.

Blog Entries

I think I see, you are looking for software with NO equivalent, even if they don't hold a candle to it..

so for example you would not include Blogging Clients becasue there are Linux equivalents such as the following
    But *if* there were no Linux equivalents then you would want us to list them here. Am I correct?

Yes dragonbite,

That's right. This is the main point. If there is an equivalent that is satisfactory and working fine, why should we reinvent the wheel? For example, do we really need another office suite or text editor for linux?

Do we need an application like subject search spider I mentioned earlier?

How would be the value-added to the community and to linux if this is done?

I hope developers and the "seniors" join in this discussion.
    Maybe the community can start developing such spider.
    Maybe the community can start pointing some software that does not exist for linux.
    Maybe the community (opensuse) can start packaging other software that exists in other distros but not for opensuse.

I really wonder if this idea / thread is worth it!

Robert Smits NNTP User

dragonbite wrote:

>
    > Is this any different than the usual "what applications do you want
    > ported to Linux" thread?
    >
    > I have a couple pieces of software that keeps me from comfortably
    > moving my wife to Linux:
    >
    > Microsoft Publisher : after trying to do desktop publishing with Word
    > for a number of years I'd rather not go back and Scribus/InDesign seems
    > to be way more powerful than what I need. Basically I need a capable
    > layout control that can easily control labels (do once, all match).
    >

Microsoft Publisher 2000 runs just fine under CrossOver Linux, so I assume
    it'll run under Wine as well.

--
    bob@rsmits.ca (Robert Smits, Ladysmith BC)

"I'm not one of those who think Bill Gates is the devil. I simply suspect
    that if Microsoft ever met up with the devil, it wouldn't need an
    interpreter." - Nicholas Petreley

I'm sorry!

I feel this thread was not worth it as I don't see interest in it.
    My main point was to "add" new software, to enable linux users to do something they already do in windoze but they can't do on linux yet.

I was thinking, if someone needs to run whatever windoze application on linux he could virtualize or use something like wine.

To my surprise, I found on the web, when I googled, that most users want to run windowze applications on linux! Even if there are equivalents.

If the talk is about equivalents needing some extra features to be up to windoze applications (like comparing M$ Access and Kexi or others) this is another subject or thread.

I 'mathematically' conclude that this thread shouldn't have been made in the first place
    I "mathematically" conclude that maybe Linux should come with only a virtual machine and so users can run whatever windoze apps and windoze itself!

I'm sorry guys.
    I'm feeling a bit... mmm.. frustrated? confused?

But i would like to thank everyone who cared to discuss, comment or ask.

Maybe someone would care to make a thread about "what features in what apps you want to see added to the existing linux packages"

I mean no offense to anybody, I'm just talking my heart and mind.
    I am sure you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Smits View Post
    Microsoft Publisher 2000 runs just fine under CrossOver Linux, so I assume
    it'll run under Wine as well.
    I still would really like to see an OSS app that can open and read Publisher files.

Unhappy Re: Software Needed for Linux

It is so sad!

I don't see enough contributions, not even enough views!

Maybe I was over expecting. My fault!

Sorry. No offense anyway to anybody!

At least I tried!
    Thanks all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast