Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will computers or machines ever become self-aware or evolve?

Default Will computers or machines ever become self-aware or evolve?

We've all seen Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica, in which there are androids, human-android hybrids, and robots that think for themselves. Do you think this will ever become a reality?

Default Re: Will computers or machines ever become self-aware or evo

Wow, big subject. Right up there with the meaning of life and all.

As we understand the human genome and gain a better understanding of how the brain works, it may be possible to mimic the brain's behavior.

I would think it would be too much for hardware-based systems, but gell-based or biologically-based computer systems may be able to accomplish it, though no time soon.

The fundamental difference between human reasoning (and animal as far as we can tell) is that it is primarily associative, not logical - which is why humans have to be taught logic.

There are attempts using neural networds to mimic associative reasoning but it is difficult to see existing computers which are built on logical reasoning developing associative reasoning.

Computers are wonderful for doing all the logical reasoning we humans find so difficult but I doubt that they will be able to undertake much associative reasoning, not least because we humans understand so little about how it works and so would find it difficult to build computers that might develop it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    Computers are wonderful for doing all the logical reasoning we humans find so difficult but I doubt that they will be able to undertake much associative reasoning, not least because we humans understand so little about how it works and so would find it difficult to build computers that might develop it themselves.
    I personally think that the first true step will be made when a system (program) is created that can anticipate on situations by learning from previous situations and also being able to evaluate findings with others (human and non-human). In a sense it can then self evolve by comparing and learning. This could already be a something that can be created... Step out of bindery, not only 1 or 0 as in true of false, but also 2 might be.

Eventually this could evolve in a primary instinct (very bluntly said a reaction by memory) along with judgment and diagnose.
    Not talking emotion here as that gets even more complex.. but if a system would be left to learn and evolve in it's own way (and it has the resources it needs to fulfill this) who knows where that would lead.

But that is getting way to deep on a Thursday night for me..

Anyway, the self evolving and self aware.. I do believe in that but not in a sense of how we experience it. You'd need to be a computer to know about that
    Have a lot of fun!

What is self aware?

We're getting close to robots that react to their environment and can even change their environment. We're getting close to robots with massive processing power.

What I can't imagine happening any time soon is seeing robots or computers establish culture and society. It is possible it could happen someday, but one could argue that humanity is the only species to ever develop culture. I don't believe that to be an accident or coincidence.

Wow, way to break it down, guys. My opinion is that if this does ever happen, it won't be for at least another hundred years. I'm not saying that it can't happen, because hundreds of years ago, no one ever thought that people would be flying through the air and landing on the moon. However, our technology isn't advanced enough yet to create a truly lifelike android such as Data from Star Trek. As John said, we don't have the neural network capability yet, and we also don't have the storage capacity required for an android to have sufficient memory. Another area that would have to be developed a lot further is the control systems for the androids' movement. Although, there have been a few robots from Japan that are starting to mimic human-like movement.

Self-aware is when an entity can think to itself: "Wow, I exist," and ask itself "what is my purpose, and why am I here?" Some people would argue that computers aren't at that level yet.

Tony Sperling NNTP User

Default Re: Will computers or machines ever become self-aware or evolve?

Not until scientist start realizing the meaning of the eye not being a
    camera, and the ear not being a microphone, and coupling that to inventing
    Binary Logical Operators that can convey such data into software!

When that hits 'home', we may be on the way to something like that.
    Eventually, I think we would be pretty dumb not to be able to duplicate our
    own properties and behaviour, since we are after all naught but machines
    ourselves!

Tony. . .

"BNG22908" <BNG22908@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote in message
    news:BNG22908.3cpb60@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org...
    >
    > We've all seen Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica, in which there are
    > androids, human-android hybrids, and robots that think for themselves.
    > Do you think this will ever become a reality?
    >
    >
    > --
    > BNG22908
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > BNG22908's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1077
    > View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=390217
    >

I recommend Daniel Dennett's "Sweet Dreams". It lays out some arguments as to why consciousness might even be possible to implement via scientific means. Not directly of course, but by arguing that consciousness is something that can be understood scientifically in its entirety.

/earth/europe/uk/england/west-yorkshire/leeds/mystreet/myhouse

i seriously hope robots etc do NOT develop AI, otherwise Terminator won't just be an excellent film but reality and personally, I quite like not being dead!

Well if we ever manage to build a quantum computer it might be possible to develop
    a computer that is self learning and self repairing and maybe even producing off spring
    I do realize that the meaning quantum computer is very wide.

regards
    dobby9

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast