Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Software for Linux Than for Windows (surprise!)

Default More Software for Linux Than for Windows (surprise!)

Hi everybody,
    Hi Newbies,

As I have read and heard lots of "claims", "complaints", "excuses", and "rants" that there is no software for linux as for windows, and this is what is keeping people from adopting linux.

On the other hand, I would like to make it easier for linux fans to find applications, or guide others to find applications alternative to M$ windows applications.

I will simply tell you something, for each single Microsoft Windows application there is more than one application for linux.

It is called "alternative" application. So, don't complain that linux is not convenient because there is no windows internet explorer for linux

If you are serious about linux check the following two links:
    1. The Linux Alternative Project
    2. Windows and OS X Software Alternatives (so you can use on linux alternatives for both windows and OSX..)

P.S.
    1. There maybe more lists, this is just a start, just google "linux alternative"
    2. Yes, there maybe some apps on windows that I don't know of its replacement. Maybe a special thread or forum for such case will follow.
    3. I ask the help of the grand masters here, moderators, users, newbies... to contribute to this attempt to enlighten newbies that there is actually More Software for Linux Than for Windows.

Guys, it's all about 'community', whoever can contribute to this please do.

I hope this thread will be usefull to all.
    Hardware Fujitsu Siemens T4310
    OpenSuse 12.3, Gnome 3, Live persistent USB

Default Re: More Software for Linux Than for Windows (surprise!)

Thread moved to Soapbox
    opensuse.org.community.soapbox
    Last edited by kastorff; 17-Jul-2008 at 10:55.
    Keith Kastorff

the great part of non common softwares that i need are only for windows or i have to run them with wine & co with a lot of problems,do you think i'm unlucky?or is there anything wrong?

for common softwares let's say that there are a lot of good alternatives if there's no the linux version

Quote Originally Posted by m1192ds View Post
    the great part of non common softwares that i need are only for windows or i have to run them with wine & co with a lot of problems,do you think i'm unlucky?or is there anything wrong?

for common softwares let's say that there are a lot of good alternatives if there's no the linux version
    Hi m1192ds,

What software exactly you are talking about?
    Can you give more details?

Hi guys,

I have found an open source sofrware list at wikipedia here.

I hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by limotux View Post
    Hi m1192ds,

What software exactly you are talking about?
    Can you give more details?
    cad ,cam ,cae,stress analysis ,ecu mapping softwares...

i found linux version only for most popular softwares,the others are now running on my pc but there's always something wrong...so often i have to run them with windows

For any software need you have, there are likely tons of Windows alternatives as well. If for no other reason than the massive gaming dominance, I'd say Windows still has vastly more software overall.

However, I think that people don't realize how much software development there is in the Linux world. There are tons and tons of options available to you.

Some of my colleagues have said that the only thing holding them back to switching over to using Linux instead of Windows is the lack of such-and-such a program in Linux. When I pointed out that such-and-such program not only exists in Linux, but works better than the Windows equivalent, they came up with another excuse. For many people, it all boils down to them wanting to complain about Windows, but not do anything about it. Some people have a genuine reason to keep Windows around, such as people who need to use a certain version of autocad or some other program that runs in Windows only. But I stopped trying to convince people to switch to Linux because I found that just because they complain a lot about Windows, doesn't mean that they are willing to take action and switch to Linux. Many of them won't even try out a Live CD.

For many people, I had to demo Linux in front of them with a laptop before they'd really try it.

I challenge people all the time to try out a KDE desktop for a week or two, and tell them I'll gladly move them back to Windows if they aren't happy.

Quote Originally Posted by m1192ds View Post
    cad ,cam ,cae,stress analysis ,ecu mapping softwares...

i found linux version only for most popular softwares,the others are now running on my pc but there's always something wrong...so often i have to run them with windows
    Hi m1192ds,

As you have named some applications, I've selected the first one 'cad'.

I don't understand how come you didn't find an alternative as I could find 12! Yes 12 (twelve) alternatives. here are they...

I agree with you, maybe some other software is not available under linux, but in most cases it is not easy to stumble upon it. But it is there. It just needs some search/google

Maybe just for your information, and to make googling for linux easier, search in <Linux> - Google Search
    It restricts the search to the linux world.

All what we need to do is just a little effort, as we do with M$ Windows, don't you search, read, compare,... to find the best software that suits you?

Again, don't say there is no internet explorer for linux, it is like saying there is no M$ Windows XP for linux!

Anyway, if you need any help, just post back.

Regards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast