Virgin Media + Linux = Slow

Hi,
This is my third thread here and I’m trying to sort out an issue that’s been annoying me. Basically we, as a family, are changing from windows to Linux and trying a bunch of Distros, OpenSUSE being the first. We’re chronicling our “adventures” in our blog.

Here’s the problem:
-The internet is amazingly slow! We’re using OpenSUSE 10.3, Virgin media (formerly NTL) broadband with their supplied modem (not sure of the model) going through a Belkin router. The wireless seems fine as i have no probs connecting with my NokiaN95, Xbox 360 or my “fista” machine in my bedroom. The pc is wired into the router so its not a wireless issue, and Linux seems fine with the on board LAN etc.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? (it’s seriously like 56k)

Cheers,
Cyph (James)

Let’s establish first how you are measuring ‘slow’, as
you didn’t really define ‘broadband’…i.e. cable vs adsl, etc.
(I see you’re in the UK somewhere.)

Install another browser, such as Opera.

Then, get some actual numbers, from here:
Speakeasy - Speed Test
using both your current browser and from Opera,
and from your ‘fista’ box.

Post the results (if that doesn’t solve it).

By broadband I meant Cable (2meg). I am downloading Opera now, And I’ll post back with results of the speed est asap. I’ll even turn on my fista box for you (Vista actually makes me angry :confused: )

Cheers :slight_smile:
-Cyph

cyphnar wrote:
>
> Any ideas as to why this is happening? (it’s seriously like 56k)

Is it slow when you download, or does it take a long time to connect to Web
sites, etc. If the latter, try disabling IPV6 - assuming that you don’t need it.

Larry

If you are using Firefox also disable ipv6 dns lookups.
Enter about:config in the address bar of Firefox , accept any prompts and enter ipv6 in the filter bar.
There should be an option ‘network.dns.disableIPv6’ - set it to true and test if surfing is better.

Also, is downloading slow? or only the browsing? Maybe a DNS issue is causing slow resolving.

Cheers,
Wj

Ok so here’s the results:

Firefox
Download Speed: 1895 kbps (236.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 189 kbps (23.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Opera
Download Speed: 1939 kbps (242.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 178 kbps (22.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Firefox 3 - Vista
Download Speed: 1362 kbps (170.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 191 kbps (23.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

All tests were done on the seattle server.

Cheers,
-Cyph

Yeah it’s predominantly just browsing the web, downlaods seem fine. I did the about:config thing and changed ipv6disable to true. I’ll do some proper browsing and let you know what it’s like :smiley:

Cheers for the help!
-Cyph

Bear in mind that fibre optic is affected by number of users on the circuit; I get a huge improvement in speed in the early morning, evenings and weekends when the local industrial estate is not working.

It’s not fibre, it’s standard(ish) copper cable (kinda like coax). The browsing still seems slow, however the biggest issue is opening the browser, it takes forever to actually load google. It seems to take ages opening sites but browsing within them seems ok, if that makes sense? (it takes ages to open forums.opensuse.org but it’s quick enough once I’m here).

And it’s the same with Opera. :confused:

-Cyph

Using dig (or nslookup) check random sites to see if maybe resolving is not going as quick as it should.

Enter random sites like;
dig openSUSE.org
dig HP United States - Computers, Laptops, Servers, Printers & more
dig NeverBeenHere | MatteoSedile
etc

Resolving (query time) should be instant (< 400 ms) … if not there might be your issue.

-Wj

cyphnar wrote:

>
> It’s not fibre, it’s standard(ish) copper cable (kinda like coax).

Copper is only from the nearby cabinet. It’s fibre-optic otherwise.

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy

cyphnar wrote:

>
> Hi,
> This is my third thread here and I’m trying to sort out an issue that’s
> been annoying me. Basically we, as a family, are changing from windows
> to Linux and trying a bunch of Distros, OpenSUSE being the first. We’re
> chronicling our “adventures” in our ‘blog’ (http://www.brayblog.co.uk).
>
> Here’s the problem:
> -The internet is amazingly slow! We’re using OpenSUSE 10.3, Virgin
> media (formerly NTL) broadband with their supplied modem (not sure of
> the model) going through a Belkin router. The wireless seems fine as i
> have no probs connecting with my NokiaN95, Xbox 360 or my “fista”
> machine in my bedroom. The pc is wired into the router so its not a
> wireless issue, and Linux seems fine with the on board LAN etc.
>
> Any ideas as to why this is happening? (it’s seriously like 56k)
>

Have you reported this on a VM newsgroup? You are not alone in having
problems with VM broadband over the last few days.

Sounds like virgin are supplying adsl to you, not cable. Login to your router and see what your connection is. Assuming you are adsl… see this help section from my isp
you need to know your adsl login details

Connection is running slow

The most common cause of a slow connection is that the connection may have been flooded by either a virus or too much network activity.

The best way to test the connection for slow speed and to rule out any network problems is to conduct to a BT speed test.

To run the speed test in a manner that helps us raise a fault with BT please follow this proceedure:

* - Using your normal connection make sure you close all applications on your system. Then open your web browser and visit [Test Result](http://speedtester.bt.com/) and follow the prompts to run the test. Note that it may take a few attempts to get this to work.

If you are not adsl - sorry

caf4926 wrote:

> Sounds like virgin are supplying adsl to you, not cable

I assume you meant to respond to the OP but, in case not, I’m on cable -
20Mb. The OP says he’s on the 2Mb package which is cable - ADSL package
is “up to” 8Mb.

I assume you meant to respond to the OP
Correct

I may be confused, but I consider Cable to be fibre not copper

If he is on copper, it’s not cable. The way I read it, his ISP is a cable provider. But likely offer adsl to users out of their cable network.

ADSL max is dependant on users distance from the exchange, that’s why it’s “up to”. 8mb.
Many other factors could also influence speed - such as:
Line Attenuation
Noise Margin

The BT speedtest will also show his current sync/bras profile - which can be influenced by your home wiring quality amongst other things.

I’m also on Virgin Media’s cable connection (you’ll be glad to hear I don’t need anything sorting out though). Their connections are fiber optic up until outside the house (ie in the street). However the connection from the street to the house (right up to the modem) is done with coax (or some form of copper cable, I may be wrong about the coax thing). So it’s not FTTH or anything that fancy, but it is still Cable as opposed to ADSL.

I am on exactly the same contract with Virgin as you but I didn’t have any problems when I used OpenSUSE at a different Virgin location and a BT location; I have only had problems since moving here where I am near an industrial estate and the circuit gets congested during the day. But it’s fine the rest of the time.

Assuming you haven’t moved recently, the only other possibility I wonder about is whether the router handles the different lines in a way which does not match the way OpenSUSE communicates with it very well.