Thread: Media player won't start from Firefox 3

Default Media player won't start from Firefox 3

Hi,
    I installed 11.0 recently as a clean install, and tried to use it to listen to an online program while I did some other work on the computer last night. I had firefox 3 up as the browser, and had previously used the one click restricted format installer from the opensuse-community.

When I clicked on the icon on the webpage, a player won't start to play the windows media player selection. I looked back at the one click install and wasn't sure if it actually linked anything to a particular player like in 10.3. I then set a preference for mms protocol in firefox as follows:

1. Go to about:config
    2. Right click and select New>Boolean
    3. Enter "network.protocol-handler.external.mms" without quotes, and clicked ok.
    4.I selected true for the value, and clicked ok.
    5. I right clicked again, and selected New>string
    6. I entered "network.protocol-handler.app.mms" and clicked ok
    7. I found "network.protocol-handler.app.mms" in the list and right clicked on it.
    8. I selected New>String
    9. In the box I typed /opt/kde3/bin/kaffeine and clicked ok

When I click on the icon on the web page to start the media player for windows player, nothing happens. If I click on the icon to start the same media with real player, nothing happens. I tried it on another website, and had the same result.

I opened konqueror to /opt/kde3/bin/ and clicked on the kaffeine gear, and the program opens. I can open kaffeine from the application menu as well. Once kaffeine is open, I can copy and paste the url from the website media that I want to hear to kaffeine, and it will play the media.

Seems like a problem with something in firefox, anybody have any ideas how to get this working normally?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Media player won't start from Firefox 3

We have a forum policy of one post per problem. Is this the same problem you reported here:
    Media won't play - openSUSE Forums

HI,
    no, this is a differant problem. Please read the posts carefully.

On this one the media player programs (Kaffeine or Real Player) won't open when I click on the icon which should open the player and the link.

On the other post, when I click on an icon to open the link, the player opens but immediately shuts off and won't play.

Hi,
    one more piece to this puzzle is this post refers to Opensuse 11.0 that I installed on my home desktop.

I recently upgraded FF2 to Firefox 3 on my laptop, which has Opensuse 10.3 installed. I used one click restricted format installation when I originally installed 10.3. With the totem package that it installed I could click on the icon and launch an mms audio stream. Immediately after upgrading to Firefox 3, the icon on the webpage stopped responding and wouldn't launch Totem anymore.

Blog Entries

Sometimes the Media Player Connectivity plugin works for firefox for users in trying to play streaming from "stubborn" sites.
    see above quote from a link oldcpu gave you
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Hi,
    my omission in response to OldCPU's suggestion. When I read his original post I immediately installed the media connectivity plugin. There was no change, the problem still persists.