Computer-Shutdown options greyed out

I wonder if anyone has this problem. For some reason, all options (restart, shutdown, hibernate etc) under Computer>Shutdown have grayed out. That means I can see those options but they are not clickable/selectable.

Does anyone know how to fix this ?

Thanks

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Yast: Security and Users: Local Settings (I think). In there is a
limitation you can set that specifies who can shut down the system, and
another from the GUI. Do both look right (not just ‘root’ user)?

Good luck.

dreamerheman wrote:
| I wonder if anyone has this problem. For some reason, all options
| (restart, shutdown, hibernate etc) under Computer>Shutdown have grayed
| out. That means I can see those options but they are not
| clickable/selectable.
|
| Does anyone know how to fix this ?
|
| Thanks
|
|
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIfSyv3s42bA80+9kRAq17AJ4qS+hZEtFP4I2kAcmmecU1Vd8iPwCeO9oU
Ikmp0J/mhsB2U0X62jgTk/U=
=GzSU
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

I’ve had the same problem a few times.

If you need to restart, open a terminal and login as root with su. Then enter the command reboot: that’ll reboot your system, and when you login, the options should be there again.

:slight_smile:

Thanks but sorry, I don’t understand as I am very new to Linux. Do you mean once I login as root, I just type “su” enter & type “reboot” ?

Sorry for my ignorance but I am trying to learn SUSE/LINUX & reduce dependence on XP.

Cheers

No problem. :slight_smile:

Simply open a terminal window, found in the applications section of your desktop (usually the main menu at the bottom left has the applications listed for you). Next, type the command su and press enter and enter the root password when prompted. Now that you are logged in as root, issue the command reboot (and press enter). The terminal should print some text and you may hear a beep sound come from your computer. After a few seconds, the system will reboot. Once you log back in, the options should be back to normal. I’m not sure what causes this issue exactly, but this is one of the temporary ways to fix the problem.

Million thanks.

Glad to help. :slight_smile: