Thread: nVidia MCP61 sound has died.

Graham P Davis NNTP User

Default nVidia MCP61 sound has died.

When I first installed 11.0, the sound level was such that I needed the
    speakers on full. Then an update gave me reasonable volume. A few days ago,
    after some more updates, the sound reduced to a crackling and spluttering
    or nothing at all. Driver is "snd-hda-intel". Sound is working on Vista.

--
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy

Blog Entries

Default Re: nVidia MCP61 sound has died.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham P Davis View Post
    When I first installed 11.0, the sound level was such that I needed the speakers on full. Then an update gave me reasonable volume. A few days ago, after some more updates, the sound reduced to a crackling and spluttering or nothing at all. Driver is "snd-hda-intel". Sound is working on Vista.
    You can check your updates, to see what might have caused this, by typing in a konsole:
    rpm -qa --last > installed-rpm-files.txt
    then open up "installed-rpm-files.txt" with your favourite text editor (or word processor).

To solve your sound problem, you could try working your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide:
    SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

Please note to test your sound functionality, please copy and paste the following into a konsole/xterm:
    speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
    It will stop after 5 "left"/"right" attempts (ie "-l5").

If you have no sound, and if following the steps in the audio troubleshooting guide doesn't help you, then please copy and paste into an xterm/konsole the following commands (and paste here their output):
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

and also copy and paste the following two commands (which run a diagnostic script) into an xterm konsole, while your PC is connected to the internet. Those scripts will check your audio, and paste the results onto a URL on the internet. Please paste the URL here.
    Code:
    wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
    and for the next script, when prompted for a password, enter the root password, and type "NO" for every question you do not understand.
    Code:
    wget http://home.cfl.rr.com/infofiles/tsalsa && su -c 'bash ./tsalsa'
    Don't forget to paste here the URL they provide.

Good luck.