Can't boot from openSuSE 11 install DVD on new iMac

I got a problem with the openSuSE 11 DVD an my new iMac (2,4 GHz INTEL Core 2 Duo).

I downloaded the .iso image and the MD5 hash is correct. I burned the image using ‘Disk Utility.app’ from Apple and the verification after the burn process was successful.
Then I installed fEFIt 0.11 as boot manager.

But when I am trying to boot from the DVD the screen turns black and nothing happens anymore. No output at all, even I set my iMac to verbose boot by default.

Looks like my iMac isn’t able to read anything from the DVD. Looks like, because on Mac OS X I am able to browse all the directories and open any file I want.

Does anybody know this problem?

Thanks

Ulrich

In between I tried the LiveCD, with all the same result.

Does anybody know if openSuSE 11 is compatible with INTEL Mac at all?

Ulrich

Isn’t it the same architecture?
After all Macs have now Intel Core Duo processors the same as in PC.

It’s not really the same, because the INTEL Macs use an EFI boot ROM instead of the outdated BIOS. So, if the Install DVD od Live CD doesn’t have a EFI compatible bootloader, you can’t boot.

But, as far as I know, openSuSE should have a EFI compatible bootloader. So maybe someone knows about the problem I described and has a solution.

Ulrich

And you need a EFI compatible kernel on the installation media, and I wonder if the SuSE/Novell people didn’t compile EFI compatibility in it.

Ulrich

Same problem here, I have an iMac 2.66 Ghz, Intel Core Duo. I try to boot from the dvd install disk but a black screen comes out with a blinking line and nothing happens. If the problem is the efi compatibility wouldn´t all intel core duo´s macs have problems?
Thanks for any responses.:slight_smile:

Sorry a few more details, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo, so it has 64-bit, I downloaded the 64-bit dvd but when booting from the dvd a black screen appears with the flashing line. I have no idea why this happens, I thought maybe my computer was not 64-bit but I tried with Windows 7 64-bit version and it boots.
Thanks

eragonx wrote:

> Sorry a few more details, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo, so it has 64-bit,
> I downloaded the 64-bit dvd but when booting from the dvd a black screen
> appears with the flashing line. I have no idea why this happens, I
> thought maybe my computer was not 64-bit but I tried with Windows 7
> 64-bit version and it boots.

Are you reaching the install menu options or just a black screen? :-?

I know little about iMacs but my first try would be to discard a media
failure (bad dvd, bad checksum, bad writing…). If you have the chance,
just insert that same dvd into other computer and see what happens. Of
course, do not continue with the install :wink:

Greetings,

Camaleón

Hey camaleón, thanks for the reply, I already solved the problem, I had a boot camp partition with windows installed and I just removed it I also set the start up disk from the System Preferences as the dvd instead of booting with the c held down, I dont know which one did the difference. Now the installer works.