Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ctl/alt/backspace

Default ctl/alt/backspace

Hello, I am a new user of Suse 11, although I have a fair amount of experience with other distros.

I am not sure if ctl/alt/backspace constitutes an application or not but I can't think where else to put the question.

The point is it doesn't work. I have three other linux distros on this machine and all of those restart the x server if I use ctl/alt backspace, but Suse doesn't, it only beeps at me.

Is there some setting that I need to enable for ctl/alt/backspace to work? I managed to find the one for enabling SysRq keys although that had me fooled for a while as well, so perhaps there is a similar one for ctl/alt/backspace that I haven't found yet. If there is such a setting then where is it?

PS I have another question that is bugging me as well but I will post that in the networking section as that is where it belongs. If you are particularly keen on helping newbies perhaps you could look at that one as well!

Let me say that I am quite impressed with opensuse 11 (if you discount KDE4 and FF3) it looks like an excellent distro.
    Acer Aspire 5920G laptop. Core 2 duo T7300. Nvidia 8600GS graphics. 2Gb DDR2 RAM. Intel 82801H audio. Huawei E220 USB modem (sometimes) ZTE MF622 modem (sometimes). Virtualbox (for windows xp pro). Mandriva 2008.1. Mandriva 2009. Suse 11.0. Suse 11.1.

Default Re: ctl/alt/backspace

Quote Originally Posted by viking777 View Post
    Let me say that I am quite impressed with opensuse 11 (if you discount KDE4 and FF3) it looks like an excellent distro.
    With excellent release notes... openSUSE 11.0 Release Notes

What the poster above me is referencing is that they mentioned the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace thing in the release notes.

They changed it to where you have to do it twice, to prevent people accidentally hitting it and crashing their X server when they didn't mean to.

Of course, you could set it back to the old way by removing the following from your xorg.conf file.

Code:
    Option "ZapWarning" "on"
    Have fun.
    lysdestic@suseforums:~>make install --not-war

Thank you both, I will mark it as solved.

(Or I would if I could find the 'edit' button - Maybe that info is in the release notes as well!)
    Acer Aspire 5920G laptop. Core 2 duo T7300. Nvidia 8600GS graphics. 2Gb DDR2 RAM. Intel 82801H audio. Huawei E220 USB modem (sometimes) ZTE MF622 modem (sometimes). Virtualbox (for windows xp pro). Mandriva 2008.1. Mandriva 2009. Suse 11.0. Suse 11.1.

I installed openuse some weeks ago and still trying to find out what is the use of having to prees ctrl+alt+backspace twice to restart X!!!
    In the release notes it says to avoid accidentally restart of X!!!
    So someone accidentally presses ctrl then accidentally presses alt and at the same time presses backspace accidentally?IS there any change to do this combination if u really dont want it?
    And waht if u press it accidentally twice.Maybe the devs should think of making it five times n a row or even 10....
    "Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue"

google01103 NNTP User

gdelta9 wrote:

>
    > I installed openuse some weeks ago and still trying to find out what is
    > the use of having to prees ctrl+alt+backspace twice to restart X!!!
    > In the release notes it says to avoid accidentally restart of X!!!
    > So someone accidentally presses ctrl then accidentally presses alt and
    > at the same time presses backspace accidentally?IS there any change to
    > do this combination if u really dont want it?
    > And waht if u press it accidentally twice.Maybe the devs should think
    > of making it five times n a row or even 10....
    >
    >

might you have read the release notes? if not you should
    --
    Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 3.5.9, Opera 9.x weekly

And, where do I look if I enter "ctrl-alt-backspace" five times in a row
    and nothing happens?

I don't hit it twice. I just hold it down and it seems to work.

It beeps at me and takes a second, but then it works.

And again, you can always take the option out of /etc/X11/xorg.conf to make it work the old way.

In the new forums here, you can't edit your post after 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gdelta9 View Post
    I installed openuse some weeks ago and still trying to find out what is the use of having to prees ctrl+alt+backspace twice to restart X!!!
    In the release notes it says to avoid accidentally restart of X!!!
    So someone accidentally presses ctrl then accidentally presses alt and at the same time presses backspace accidentally?IS there any change to do this combination if u really dont want it?
    And waht if u press it accidentally twice.Maybe the devs should think of making it five times n a row or even 10....

I couldn't agree more. When people start hitting multiple keys in combination, they expect something to happen. I can see a compiz/beryl user accidentally hitting ctrl-alt-bs, but does that really warrant adding a beep to the first attempt?

I wouldn't mind the change so much if not for how obnoxious the beep is on my laptop. Since I often tinker with my graphics driver, the Zap Warning gets enabled every few days. I dread how often I get to hear that beep when a driver install goes awry. Ugh.
    Unintentionally left blank...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast