Thread: Problem running multiple network cards on Suse Pro 9.3

brankin1 NNTP User

Default Problem running multiple network cards on Suse Pro 9.3

Hi,

I'm running Suse Linux Pro 9.3 in a virtual machine on a Vista box, and I want to be able to run two ethernet cards at the same time.

Both cards are set to DCHP and both can connect to the internet without any problems.

I want to be able to have both cards running simultaniously, but when I try to connect eth1 while eth0 is already in use, it disconnects eth0 and then connects eth1 and vice versa.

Does anybody know how to solve this?

Cheers

Default Re: Problem running multiple network cards on Suse Pro 9.3

* brankin1,

don't use the Network manager, but the "traditional" method. You can configure the NICs in Yast to connect upon cable connection or on boot time.

Uwe

Suse, by default, only allows one device to use DHCP (but this behaviour can be changed).

Two solutions:

1 Configure one device with static address.

2 Change default behaviour of DHCP to allow more than one device.

You can find relevant information in the file: /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg.template

Scroll down to DHCP settings for an explanation of DHCP behaviour, and various config options.

Paul

brankin1 NNTP User

Thanks for your replys, guys.

Unfortunately, Im still stuck in Windows mode here and I'm still struggling to come to terms with how to use all this stuff!

I'd like to change the default behaviour of the DHCP to allow more than just the 1 network card. Is the configuration I'm changing in ifcfg.template ?

Also, ideally, I'd like to have both cards running in DHCP, so once I change these settings, will I have to make one address static?

Thanks again

brankin1 NNTP User

okay, heres a little update...

I tried to configure eth0 and eth1 in yast, and I didn't change any of the settings. However, after I finished in Yast, eth0 was active. I did an ifconfig, and I was told that eth0 and eth1 were both running, with seperate ip addresses.

Whenever I tried to make eth1 active, eth0 disconnected itself and eth1 took over. I just ran yast again, finished and had the same result with trying to connect both.

Although this may be enough for the test I am making, it's not ideal as I would like to be able to send this Virtual Machine as a test to associates.

Does anyone know how I could make these 'changes' permanent?

Cheers

* brankin1,

that's a routing issue. How do you want to tell the OS which NIC to use?
    If you want to use both cards together, look into "bonding"

Uwe