Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot start YaST - error message attached

Default Cannot start YaST - error message attached

I tried to start YaST this morning. Initialisation failed with this error message:

here was an error in the repository initialization.
    'http://www.opensuse-education.org/download/repo/1.0/11.0': Failed to cache repo (4).
    History:
    - repo2solv.sh "/var/cache/zypp/raw/http:__www.opensuse-education.org_download_repo_1.0_11.0" > "/var/cache/zypp/solv/http:__www.opensuse-education.org_download_repo_1.0_11.0/solv"
    Bad dependency line: 7304: =Prv: /etc/settings/iTALC
    cat: write error: Broken pipe

gzip: stdout: Broken pipe

gzip: stdout: Broken pipe

I have no idea what to do with this information or how to overcome the problem.

I should also say that I have been living for a week with an error message on system start up with words to the effect of 'an unexpected error has occurred'. Could this system start-up error have also caused this later problem with YaST?

To me, all errors are unexpected!
    Could somebody advise me please?
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

Default Re: Cannot start YaST - error message attached

Sorry, I didn't realise that the earlier system error message I referred to was still being displayed; here it is:

"An internal system error has occurred

A problem that we were not expecting has occurred.
    Please report this bug with the rror description."

The 'more details' button reveals:

http://www.opensuse-education.org/do...repo/1.0/11.0: Failed to cache repo (4).
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

I've had a similar message today. In the meantime I just unsubscribed to the repository until things are sorted. Are you able to access YaST > Software Repositories to do that?

'Cannot start YaST'. That was what attrackted me to your thread. But you can start YaST. You caa choose Software. It is only when it comes to Software Management that it sucks.

Creating short, but clear headings is difficult isn't it?

May be there is something with the rep. I simply should try later.
    Henk van Velden

onewyldmustang NNTP User

Unhappy Re: Cannot start YaST - error message attached

I recieved the same error today. What can I do to fix it? It says
    "Package Kit Error" for the title of the window. Then right below it says: "An internal system error has occurred. A problem that we were not expecting has occurred. Please report this bug with the error description."
    More Details:
    http://www.opensuse-education.org/do...repo/1.0/11.0: Failed to cache repo (4).

what can I do to resolve this? I installed opensuse this weekend and everything else is working fine other than this.
    Thank you.

I did not install 11.0 until now, so I do not have that repo myself. But I clicked on tthe link you provided (do it yourself in a browser) and it is definitly not a repo!.

What repo should it be? Something to do with educational software?
    Henk van Velden

onewyldmustang NNTP User

Red face Re: Cannot start YaST - error message attached

I have no idea what repo it should be, but what I do know is that I went into yast, selected software repositories, then looked up the repo. I unselected it, refreshed the list, and finally restarted my computer. To my dismay I received the same error message. So I went back in and deleted the repo, restarted the computer again, and again I got the same error message even though the repo was deleted. I then re-added the repo back to the list but unselected it one more time, then restarted my computer one more time and finally came up without the error message and my computer was able to download some software updates once I did that. That's how it worked for me, so you might want to un-check it and restart your computer or you can delete that repo, add it back then restart your computer like I did which fixed the problem. I think that repo is for any type of education apps that you might have with suse. I haven't looked to see what education programs came with the OS. Let me know how it goes.

I am glad you soved the problem, but it stays a bit of a riddle.

BTW all that restarting is not needed. This is not Windoze. Restarting YaST should be suufficient.
    Henk van Velden

onewyldmustang NNTP User

Smile Re: Cannot start YaST - error message attached

yes it does stay a riddle, for now. If I can find something that will solve it I will let you know. Thanks for letting me know about restarting the computer. I thought I had to do that every time. I'm somewhat of a newbie to Linux and have used Windows for the last 20 years of my life, hence why I love Linux. It is so much better.

Normaly one only has to reboot when the kernel changed and that is not too often

When X (the GUI) is updated, log-out log-in is sufficient.

And when a program is updated, restart the program

But even then everything will normaly stay running until you do stop it.

Just think about what would happen if all those Unix/Linux servers would be rebooted when only an unimportant tool was changed?
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast