Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't start up coz of ATI graphic card

Question Can't start up coz of ATI graphic card

Hi maybe it's one of the thousands threat about difficulty of using ATI graphic card in Linux. And I am just a newbie of Linux so this question maybe very silly. I have done quite a lot of research on Linux distribution and finally I think OpenSuse is the best so I boot from a Live CD, installed it by clicking "Live Install". After a swift installation I restarted my pc, seeing long processes going on in commandline and all of the sudden, my monitor went "Video Output Not Supported". I am using Radeon 9600SE.

I then tried to boot from the [failsafe] mode but end up with the same result. It really freaks me out coz I can smoothly boot from the Live CD, login to desktop and the system clearly identify the card as ATI graphic card. I mean if the Live-boot OpenSuse can start up successfully why can not the installed version?

The problem is that I have the official ATI driver but if I am not able to login to OpenSuse what other ways I can install the driver?

Please help me up coz my friend told me OpenSuse is very sophisticated and worth a try.

Default Re: Can't start up coz of ATI graphic card

You can boot into the command-line mode by simply entering 3 into the boot options in grub. Once you do this, login as root. Then run the command "sax2 -rf" and follow all of the options. Then when you return to the command line run the command "shutdown -r now" to reboot and all should work.
    Don't worry, I am just a typical luser.

Oh I forgot, you can test the settings out with a startx command, or init 5 command to bring you back up without rebooting.
    Don't worry, I am just a typical luser.

Quote Originally Posted by mniebur View Post
    You can boot into the command-line mode by simply entering 3 into the boot options in grub. Once you do this, login as root. Then run the command "sax2 -rf" and follow all of the options. Then when you return to the command line run the command "shutdown -r now" to reboot and all should work.
    Yeah I was thinking to do sth with the boot option in order to avoid graphic loading. Thanks heaps!!!

will try this out today and see if it works

Quote Originally Posted by mniebur View Post
    Hi I tried typing in "3" and "init 3" as boot option in Grup but still not able to get in command-line mode. Have I done anything wrong?

Hi Benny.

Basically, if I understood mniebur's reply correctly, all you need is a terminal screen with a prompt. I believe the Grub screen calls it a FailSafe mode. Additionally you may need to su to execute that command. Although admittedly I have no idea what it does. I wish mniebur would explain it to us noobs.
    I'm stuggling through the install of my own ATI card. A Radeon 8500 AIW. But no one has even replied to my thread as it seems either too old or completely unused in the Linux world. Too bad, I would have loved to ditch Windows and completely.

Rudy

Blog Entries

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:36:03 GMT
    RudyG <RudyG@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    > Hi Benny.
    >
    > Basically, if I understood mniebur's reply correctly, all you need is
    > a terminal screen with a prompt. I believe the Grub screen calls it a
    > FailSafe mode. Additionally you may need to su to execute that
    > command. Although admittedly I have no idea what it does. I wish
    > mniebur would explain it to us noobs.
    > I'm stuggling through the install of my own ATI card. A Radeon 8500
    > AIW. But no one has even replied to my thread as it seems either too
    > old or completely unused in the Linux world. Too bad, I would have
    > loved to ditch Windows and completely.
    >
    > Rudy
    >
    >

Hi
    Just let the system start normally, then login and run the commands
    from the cosole (text) screen.

This should help;
    http://en.opensuse.org/ATI

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-default
    up 4:34, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.40, 0.62
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09

I have a similar problem. I have an old HIS ATI Radeon 7500LE (RV 20)) dual head card. During my first few attempts to install SUSE, I don't get any display after rebooting. I reinstall it again & this time I skipped online update during install process. Presto, display came back & detected my card correctly (RV 200). I ran live update after that & all is sweet now.

Don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerheman View Post
    I have a similar problem. I have an old HIS ATI Radeon 7500LE (RV 20)) dual head card. During my first few attempts to install SUSE, I don't get any display after rebooting. I reinstall it again & this time I skipped online update during install process. Presto, display came back & detected my card correctly (RV 200). I ran live update after that & all is sweet now.

Don't give up.
    Thanks for the tip dreamerheman. Any chance your card has a TV tuner on it. It seems like a Spooky subject around here. Is anyone actually able to watch TV on their Linux boxes?

Rudy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast