Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenSuse 11 - xorg crashes after update

Default Re: OpenSuse 11 - xorg crashes after update

The post above says:

My previously working xorg.conf
    "Previously"means the one that was working *before*. Do you actually mean this is the xorg.conf *after* the upgrade; the xorg.conf that does *not* work *now*? And, if this is the current xorg.conf that is not working, then post back the previous xorg.conf (probably named xorg.conf.backup) which did work on 10.3.

I'm confused which is which

And did you try commenting out the AIGLX option line?

Default Re: OpenSuse 11 - xorg crashes after update[NOT SOLVED]

OK.
    I boot into runlevel 3 - runlevel 3 has been reached.
    It looks that runlevel services may be damaged. How to restore this.
    And even if I comment AIGLX option in xorg.conf I receive
    an error:
    Code:
    drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:02.0
    (EE) AIGLX error: i965 exports no extensions (/usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driDriverExtensions)
    (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
    (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

Fatal server error:
    GLX: could not load software renderer
    Why Novell doesnt provide a bugfix or new update to this?

Quote Originally Posted by mingus725 View Post
    The post above says:

"Previously"means the one that was working *before*. Do you actually mean this is the xorg.conf *after* the upgrade; the xorg.conf that does *not* work *now*? And, if this is the current xorg.conf that is not working, then post back the previous xorg.conf (probably named xorg.conf.backup) which did work on 10.3.

I'm confused which is which

And did you try commenting out the AIGLX option line?
    Sorry for that confusion. This xorg.conf is the one that worked previously. It is the same xorg.conf I have now. And after update it doesnt work.
    I commented AIGLX Option as you suggested but still have errors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beyo View Post
    Sorry for that confusion. This xorg.conf is the one that worked previously. It is the same xorg.conf I have now.
    Thats unusual, I think. .... Each of the various sax2 commands should have changed the xorg.conf.

You did run them with root permissions?

I'm having the same problem post-upgrade. None of the suggestions have helped, but thanks for trying.

My configuration includes:
    Celeron processor
    512 Mb
    Intel i845 graphics
    SUSE 11.0

Everything worked fine before the most recent auto-upgrades.

Is it possible to back out the updates (which ones?) to see if this is the problem?

Benyo@

Unfortunately, this is a bit complicated. There are several approaches you can take. Only you can decide which.

From the log, it appears that X is failing because of AIGLX. The specific reason is not totally clear, but it seems that there is a version compatibility problem between the version of X you have and/or the intel driver and/or the dri driver required for AIGLX. Notice in the log the error on i965_dri.so and in particular the swrast_dri.so error, which is that the driver file cannot be found. These drivers are in the Mesa package, but swrast_dri.so is **not** in the 7.0.3 version which you have installed; it is only in Mesa version 7.1.x. That indicates that the version of AIGLX in your X server - and it was the X server that you updated - is looking for drivers newer than you have. This is where I think your problem is.

There are 3 possible ways to fix this that I can think of. But, I can't provide a guarantee.

First, you could just try to disable AIGLX. If AIGLX is not called, then perhaps these drivers will not be called, either. However, AIGLX is now built in to the X server. It is possible it will get called anyway now by default. But, this might be the simplest and harmless to try. It requires you to manually edit xorg.conf from the command line with nano or pico. In the following 2 links are described where in xorg.conf the AIGLX calls are. Find every match and comment those lines out. Once X is working again, we can work on getting compositing working (that's why you have AIGLX turned on). Please note - this is very important - that the first link states that with 11.0, these additions to xorg.conf are not necessary for AIGLX; therefore, it is possible that removing these lines may fix the problem by itself and/or it is possible that you will need to eventually remove these lines anyway.

AIGLX - openSUSE
    Intel with AiGLX - Compiz Fusion Wiki

Your second option would be to upgrade the Mesa package to a 7.1.x version. This would install the missing swrast_dri.so driver and a new version of i965_dri.so. It is possible, but not for sure, that this upgrade may also force an upgrade of other packages, to satisfy dependencies. There is a repository set up for newer versions of X for SuSE 11.0; these theoretically will work. The following is how to do this from the command line, as root. The first command adds the 11.0 Xorg repository, the second command installs the newest version of Mesa; zypper will automatically install any dependencies:

Code:
    zypper sa http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.0/ Xorg-11.0
    zypper in Mesa
    The third option is to get your system back to the version of X before the update. The problem with this option is that it is hard to do without the YaST GUI. You can run the YaST Software Management module without a real GUI (called "ncurses"), but it doesn't work the same way. Specifically, if you could run the regular YaST software module, you could Filter on the Updates repository which would show you all updates that have been made to your system. You would see that there were 6 X packages updated together. All you would need to do is force re-installation of all of them to the previous version. Fairly simple. I could give you zypper commands to do this but I am not comfortable doing that; that is complicated and you could get version mis-matches. So all I can suggest to use this option is to edit the xorg.conf file to change the driver in the Device section from "intel" to "vesa". You would need to do this booting after booting into init 3, and then re-boot. I suggest you try this switch to the "vesa" driver as your very first step, because it would make not just this option but also the two above easier to do.

That's about all I can suggest for now. Go slow and check yourself each step, whichever approach you take. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wlamia View Post
    I'm having the same problem post-upgrade. None of the suggestions have helped, but thanks for trying.

My configuration includes:
    Celeron processor
    512 Mb
    Intel i845 graphics
    SUSE 11.0

Everything worked fine before the most recent auto-upgrades.

Is it possible to back out the updates (which ones?) to see if this is the problem?
    @wlamia - I suggest you open a new thread for your problem. While the initial cause may be the same - the update - the specific problem the update created could be different. And/or how you go about fixing it might be different. With the new thread, post your xorg.conf and the error messages at the end of the logfile, as @Benyo did. You will get faster help this way.

Actually, I already did...see: X server not starting after update to 2.6.25.9-0.2 kernel - openSUSE Forums

But I'll try to get the details posted as you request.

I do not have time to dig up deeply into problem.
    I need working system, and Suse is supposed to be user friendly...it looks it is not.

I reinstalled the system and completely turned off all updates, it looks the only reasonable solution.

But if this happens again, I'll switch to Ubuntu - it is less problematic and better updated.

I also don't have the time or patience to pursue this any longer. I did a grep -i aiglx xorg.conf.* in /etc/X11 and did not find any lines with aiglx in them.

If there is another update that fixes this mess, please post the command line that will install it, since I don't have a GUI to work from. Fortunately, I don't have any dependency on SUSE. Looks like I will be shy about doing so, too.

I really liked SUSE, too...

Walter Lamia

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast