ATI graphic card

I try to install my ATI graphic catd driver, and i go to the ati website and i was told to download check.sh and run it from a command line.
ATI Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver 8.28.8

but there was an error:

Ashkan:~ # sh check.sh

ATI Technologies

You are either not running this script from the console
or simply do not have console ownership. Requirement failed.
Unable to determine XFree86 Version. Stopping now.

Ashkan:~ #

please help

Ashkan s wrote:

>
> I try to install my ATI graphic catd driver, and i go to the ati website
> and i was told to download check.sh and run it from a command line.
> ‘ATI Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver 8.28.8’
> (http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon-prer200.html)
>
> but there was an error:
>
> Ashkan:~ # sh check.sh
> =====================================================================
> ATI Technologies
> =====================================================================
> You are either not running this script from the console
> or simply do not have console ownership. Requirement failed.
> Unable to determine XFree86 Version. Stopping now.
>
> Ashkan:~ #
>
>
>
> please help
>
>

:slight_smile: Run it as root.

su - root
<enter password>

then

sh check.sh

Loni

L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

I am in root

Ashkan s wrote:

>
> I am in root
>
>

Oh! Hmmm.

If it helps, for OpenSuSE 11.0, you’ve got Xorg 7.3 (7.2 might work), and
Xorg 7.2 if you’ve got 10.3 or 10.2.

Loni

L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

<rant>
ATi’s proprietary drivers are still a mess. They’re getting better, but it’s mind boggling how little they actually fix each month, especially considering their devs are paid to do this. Sure, frame rate is decent nowadays, but what use is frame rate when the driver either keeps freezing or displays corruption on the screen. I’ve sworn off fglrx because the opensource radeon driver now gets up to 75% of the framerate I get with fglrx (using glxgears). More importantly, there is no corruption and the screen doesn’t freeze up every 2 seconds. Compiz plus ALL games (glest, planeshift, sauerbraten, tremulous, etc) also run flawlessley! </rant>

Before I get too much OT, you can install fglrx from yast. Just add the ati repo http://www2.ati.com/suse/10.3 to yast repository manager, then search for fglrx in yast software manager and you can install it from there. It’s a lot less hassle when you do it that way.

And which graphics card (and on which bus) are you having such success? I’m not being sarcastic; but my X1650PRO (AGP/512 MB) performs just the opposite of your card (fglrx driver has the best performance for everything except video playback, while the open-source driver has issues with 3D acceleration so bad as to be unusable for games, let alone Compiz). Also, the best performance with the open-source driver seems to be with the older R3xx-based chipsets, and the worst, by contrast, seems to be with any RV535-based chipset, especially AGP.

Hey coomac. I’m not sure the Yast option is feasible to the OP, since it tends to install the latest driver. And ATI is very pissy about newer drivers and older cards. I noticed in the OP he says his driver is 8.28.X, which is an older driver, and happens to be the exact same driver my ATI AIW 8500 needs.
While I’m on the subject do any of you guys have TV Tuner functionality on your cards? What driver and software combination are you using to get that to work?

Rudy