openSUSE Suggestions

Ideas/11.1 - openSUSE

Thanks for link…:slight_smile:

That’s a fantastic site and has a lot of good ideas but I feel that Ubuntu has a clear advantage here with Ubuntu brainstorm. It lets the devs not only have suggestions for development but also know how important certain ideas are to their user base (or at lease those who vote). This lets the devs prioritize their development. What do you guys think?

EDIT: My point is that openSUSE needs to implement this idea.

cisforcojo wrote:
> That’s a fantastic site and has a lot of good ideas but I feel that
> Ubuntu has a clear advantage here with ‘Ubuntu brainstorm’
> (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com). It lets the devs not only have
> suggestions for development but also know how important certain ideas
> are to their user base (or at lease those who vote). This lets the devs
> prioritize their development. What do you guys think?
>
> EDIT: My point is that openSUSE needs to implement this idea.
>
>
Having checked out the brainstorm site I’m left with one question, are
they only allowing each person to vote once? If not then anything on
that list can be skewed very easily.

Yeah, you have to log in with your own account and you can only vote for each once. Theoretically, you could vote more with more accounts but that’d be a LOT of effort (and e-mail accounts).

EDIT: Another useful feature is there’s a tracker that let’s you link to other posts that are similar. A lot of the same ideas tend to pop up so if the ideas are the same, they become merged. There’s also feedback with each post as to its development status (this is still very basic though).

Those sound like nifty features. I also like how bugzillas will try to find existing bug reports that sound similar to yours when you create a new one.

I’m glad to see that link. There used to be a wishlist on the opening development page, maybe that link replaced it as I don’t see the link I was thinking of anymore.

BTW, There is also Package Wishlist @ Package Wishlist; - openSUSE a whole raft of on-going “Projects” & “ToDo(s)” on the WiKi. It’s not like the Developers are idle:)

Actually I made the page and put almost all the suggestions there. I’m hoping the devs take notice. They did eventually take notice of the KDE Ideas page I made and made a few notes on it.

Opensuse Brainstorm must be implemented, there are a lot of good ideas in Ubuntu Brainstorm, and the Wishlist are a non dinamic list of features!

I think the opensuse.org administrators must take this as a priority task for the community!!!

start @ Idea Pool

Any feedback or discussion on the ideas I posted on the Wiki?

The ideas I really like are:

• option during install regarding proprietary or OSS
  • integrate the fedora OneSecondX and Network Manager improvements
  • Liberation fonts
  • visual metrics for YaST update :slight_smile:
  • Workflow-type application to automate tedious tasks
  • bugzilla integration <---- simple yet genius.

The only comments I have are:

1. No need to say latest GNOME,KDE,kernel.
  2. Simplify menu layouts – Good idea but KDE4 will eventually switch to the raptor menu which is pretty much what you’re getting at. (not sure if openSUSE will still use their own menu system)
  3. Simplifying YaST repo addition. I agree that they could handle the UI for repo addition a little better but I don’t think that they should design repo addition largely based on a naming convention for repo servers. That tends to close future roads rather than open them.
  4. Re: the specialized build for UMPCS and small laptops, I think that the decisionmakers won’t take any sort of notice towards this sort of statement. Not unless there were some way that people could vote on that idea and they saw 10,000 votes behind it.

Even though I agree completely that any and all improvements should be taken and utilized, I think the main reason why most distros don’t is sort of out of professional courtesy. It costs a lot of money to make the improvements so if everyone just steals your ideas, eventually people you’ll stop spending the time and money to improve anything because it’s not worth it. I know what I just said is 100% NOT in the spirit of OSS but it’s just my guess. Also, taking other distros’ ideas is kinda like advertising for that distro. If a lot of openSUSE’s implementations come from fedora or others, I think people might start to become curious.

The simplification of the menu, using raptor or not, is actually a big thing (at least for me). I never use the menu, I open it up and then type what I want because it takes forever to actually find it. You’re right, it’s a little TOO organized.

Thanks for the link! I didn’t know that this existed for openSUSE… I only wish that my Novell account was supported for logging in.

My Novell account seems to work fine for the Wiki. It is supposed to be the same account.

enderandrew wrote:
> My Novell account seems to work fine for the Wiki. It is supposed to be
> the same account.
>
>
Mine didn’t work, I had to actually register.