Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: players crash on .ogv files?

Default players crash on .ogv files?

Hello,
    Running OpenSuSE 11.0, Gnome desktop. I have Totem, Mplayer (packman) and Realplayer installed.

I have made a couple of tutorials using recordmydesktop from the packman repo. It saves them as .ogv files, but none of the above players play it? Realplayer errors out with a codec problem, Mplayer and Totem start, but die quickly.

I thought that the .ogv file would play natively? Perhaps, the problem is with the way recordmydesktop saves the files?

bertman
    SUSE 11.1
    Ubuntu 8.10

Blog Entries

Default Re: players crash on .ogv files?

Quote Originally Posted by mckeeshop View Post
    Running OpenSuSE 11.0, Gnome desktop. I have Totem, Mplayer (packman) and Realplayer installed.

I have made a couple of tutorials using recordmydesktop from the packman repo. It saves them as .ogv files, but none of the above players play it? Realplayer errors out with a codec problem, Mplayer and Totem start, but die quickly.

I thought that the .ogv file would play natively? Perhaps, the problem is with the way recordmydesktop saves the files?
    bertman, take a look here on what it has to say about ogg (theora is for ogv). Multimedia - openSUSE-Community

If you can post a small sample some where of one of the videos that is giving you problems, I can try test your claim, but I have not had ogv problems.

Old CPU,
    I will research a place to upload, and give you a link.

I had all of this stuff already installed manually, but performed the one click option anyway. It gave the same result. what's interesting, is that the file will play on this 10.3 machine just fine.

bertman
    SUSE 11.1
    Ubuntu 8.10

Old CPU,
    Here is a link...

click here
    SUSE 11.1
    Ubuntu 8.10

Blog Entries

Old CPU,
    Here is a link...

click here
    Thanks. It plays on my openSUSE-10.3 (KDE-3.5.7) and my openSUSE-11.0 (KDE-3.5.9) with no problem with vlc, smplayer, and xine-ui. In all cases I was using strictly packman packaged versions of those applications (except for 11.0 where I had openSUSE libtheora and libvorbis). Specifically on my 10.3 PC:
    Code:
    oldcpu@stonehenge:~/temp> rpm -q libxine1 smplayer MPlayer vlc libvorbis libtheora0
    libxine1-1.1.14-0.pm.0
    smplayer-0.6.1-0.pm.1
    MPlayer-1.0rc2-4.pm.4
    vlc-0.8.6h-1.pm.1
    libvorbis-1.2.0-11.2
    libtheora0-1.0.beta2-0.pm.1
    and 11.0 PC:
    Code:
    oldcpu@stonehenge02:~> rpm -q libxine1 smplayer MPlayer vlc libvorbis libtheora0
    libxine1-1.1.14-0.pm.0
    smplayer-0.6.1-0.pm.1
    MPlayer-1.0rc2-4.pm.4
    vlc-0.8.6h-1.pm.1
    libvorbis-1.2.0-53.1
    libtheora0-1.0.beta2-3.1

Old CPU,
    Here is my output

libxine1-1.1.14-0.pm.0
    package smplayer is not installed
    MPlayer-1.0rc2-4.pm.4
    package vlc is not installed
    libvorbis-1.2.0-53.1
    libtheora0-1.0.beta2-3.1

I don't think I need smplayer, and vlc.....those are just other players.

mckeehsop
    SUSE 11.1
    Ubuntu 8.10

Blog Entries

I don't think I need smplayer, and vlc.....those are just other players.
    If it does not play in mplayer, then clearly you are missing an important app to provide it, ... but I do not know what you are missing. Some other apps I have are:
    Code:
    oldcpu@stonehenge02:~> rpm -q libogg-devel flac vorbis-tools
    libogg-devel-1.1.3-86.1
    flac-1.2.1-43.1
    vorbis-tools-1.1.1-186.1
    Also, if you are going to have MPlayer installed, I highly recommend you install smplayer. Try it, you can remove it if you don't like it.

The same is true for libxine1. Ensure you have xine-ui installed, as it is very handly for testing if a sound problem is the cause of the xine engine.

Also, please confirm that you did NOT force the install of any of your multimedia apps.

Old CPU,
    I think I figured it out......
    On a hunch, I turned off the effects. Intel G33 GPU onboard video. I think it uses aiglx, perhaps there is a conflict.
    Edit:
    It plays fine on my daughters machine running SuSe 11.0 and desktop effects.....Nvidia vid card.

mckeeshop
    SUSE 11.1
    Ubuntu 8.10

Old CPU,
    No, I did not force install any apps. Just cleanly, through YaST.
    mckeeshop
    SUSE 11.1
    Ubuntu 8.10

Blog Entries

On a hunch, I turned off the effects. Intel G33 GPU onboard video. I think it uses aiglx, perhaps there is a conflict.
    Edit:
    It plays fine on my daughters machine running SuSe 11.0 and desktop effects.....Nvidia vid card.
    Maybe this is the "old" x11 vs xv problem when special desktop effects are in use.

If you have "special desktop effects" enabled, switch your players to "x11" (from "xv" or auto) and see if that works.

If you do not have "special desktop effects" then "xv" (xvideo) should work fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast