Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Permissions for growisofs

Blog Entries

Default Re: Permissions for growisofs

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    It should be sufficient to just make the file readable by you and the directories in the path readable and searchable.

So you are saying the first works and the second doesn't? I don't think I have ever made a multi-session DVD so I've never exercised the second condition.
    The first and second work in all versions 10.x, 11.0, except 10.3.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Blog Entries

Oh well, I don't have any 10.3 machines any more so I can't check this. But the permission problem had to do with reading the DVD as I recall so it may be some strange situation where the disc isn't readable at that point, or (that version of) growisofs is confused.

Blog Entries

Just remembered something, do you append to the DVD immediately after the initial session, or do you reload the medium first? Try a reload to see if it makes any difference. K3b takes care to reload the medium, notice the eject and load after writing and before verify, so that the kernel gets a fresh look at the DVD. I don't know if this is relevant or not. Also the error message from growisofs might be relevant, was it "permission denied" or "no medium"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    Just remembered something, do you append to the DVD immediately after the initial session, or do you reload the medium first? Try a reload to see if it makes any difference. K3b takes care to reload the medium, notice the eject and load after writing and before verify, so that the kernel gets a fresh look at the DVD. I don't know if this is relevant or not. Also the error message from growisofs might be relevant, was it "permission denied" or "no medium"?
    Oh yeah -- it's relevant!
    Actually it was a bit more complex. I was using a portable USB DVDRW (for years). I installed an internal and tried that on version 10.3 -- no go. Then your last tip -- so I used KDE MyComputer Icon and unmounted the DVD after the first burn -- then it worked.

-- and so it's now working. Thanks.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Blog Entries

Great. Sometimes you win one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12