Thread: Install question.... kinda..

Blog Entries

Question Install question.... kinda..

I have Opensuse 11 with both KDE3 and KDE4 installed. Since I do not use KDE4 can I remove it by doing a repair installation and unclicking KDE4? Or will removing anything KDE4 related in Yast do the trick? I'm a bit nervous to do anything like this. Don't wanna break it.
    "To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Install question.... kinda..

Give it a try but only take it a little way until you can test whether it complains: If it gives dependency complaints, simply abort at that point. But I don't know the real answer to your question, which I avoided as you can see
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    But I don't know the real answer to your question, which I avoided as you can see
    Thanks, Swerdna. I guess I'll just leave it and remove all KDE 4 duplicate programs. Just tidy up my KDE 3.

Blog Entries

I have Opensuse 11 with both KDE3 and KDE4 installed. Since I do not use KDE4 can I remove it by doing a repair installation and unclicking KDE4? Or will removing anything KDE4 related in Yast do the trick? I'm a bit nervous to do anything like this. Don't wanna break it.
    The yast software management tool should be able to take care of this for you. As you have KDE3 installed, it will only remove packages not needed by the remaining apps / DE environment.

I did the opposite - After initially only installing KDE4, I now have KDE3 installed as well, but I'm only using the latter until it matures a little.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'll just try that after I finish my backup. Can always do a reinstall if something breaks and then just install KDE3 Thanks for the advice anyways. Probably should have done a full reinstall instead of doing a upgrade installation.

Heck, I'd rather get rid of all the duplicate KDE3 programs like K3b and Amarok. Now that I've upgraded to KDE4.1 RC2 I find KDE to be much more stable and usable. (and a lot more fun than KDE3.