Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developers and their personal problems

Default Developers and their personal problems

I don't know why problem exists, but submiting bug reports is a bit like pulling teeth. Sure, the process is necessary and time consuming but there is no reason that 'some' of the people handeling the bug reports need to act as if they have a bug up their asses.

At first I thought there was a language barier, but now i am certain it is because they are, truely, taking bug reports personaly and are unwilling to admit problems where they clearly exists.

Because of my experience thus far, I have jumped ship to Linux Mint. The bug reports i have read through for Ubuntu seem much more civil.

When Openesuse matures, with both its developers and its software, I might try it again.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Developers and their personal problems

Quote Originally Posted by sunscape View Post
    ...but now i am certain it is because they are, truely, taking bug reports personaly and are unwilling to admit problems where they clearly exists.
    I don't agree. ... I think that is a generalization that is inaccurate and not fair. Especially when it comes to the packagers.

About 2 weeks ago I had a bug pointed out to me in kdenlive. I checked it out, agreed, and sent an email to the Packman packager. He had already contacted the developer, and within a day there was an update to mlt (the problem) and kdenlive, with a good fix.

Within the last couple of days yaloki has helped sort a missing codec from the packaging of MPlayer's mencoder.

My view is the developers for one Linux distribution are mostly the same developers for another ! And as already noted, we get fast response from various openSUSE packagers.

I have jumped ship to Linux Mint.
    Far be it for me to disparage another distribution.

Enjoy Linux Mint!

The bug reports i have read through for Ubuntu seem much more civil.
    I'd say Mint has the best bug tracking of all distributions - seeing as it has none - I guess it's easy to leech the work of others and stamp it as your own..

ooooh, stop it... You're all just mad that Mint has a better slab menu than openSUSE...

I've not had any problems submitting bugs for either OS or Ubuntu. All the replies were smart and courteous. In fact maybe the OP maybe mistook the intensity of getting to the bottom of the issue on the part of the respondent that it was looked at as condescension or whatever. They seem rather like, "look, what was on the screen when this happened!!! Tell me now!!!" kind of thing...

Registered Linux User #419773

Ubuntu's forums (and the Kubuntu forums) were the worst Linux forums I've ever dealt with. Their irc channels were the worst I've ever dealt with. And the distro was the worst I've ever dealt with.

I've heard Mint is much nicer than Ubuntu, but frankly I rather like openSUSE.

Blog Entries

Being a developer of some web software for work (sorry, no OSS stuff), I can sympathise with developers who get frustrating user reports along the lines of "Hi, feature X doesn't work. Can you fix? Thank you." My colleagues can hear me yell at my screen from rooms away "What exactly happened? Send me some error messages, some screenshots, whatever."

Since I sometimes am tempted to fire off incomplete error reports too but stop myself, I have come to the conclusion that this is a fundamental human trait, that we think other people know more of what's happening to us than they really do, and that humans need to communicate more. Perhaps there's a moral there for bigger issues in life than software bug reports.

I don't know why problem exists, but submiting bug reports is a bit like pulling teeth. Sure, the process is necessary and time consuming but there is no reason that 'some' of the people handeling the bug reports need to act as if they have a bug up their asses.

At first I thought there was a language barier, but now i am certain it is because they are, truely, taking bug reports personaly and are unwilling to admit problems where they clearly exists.

Because of my experience thus far, I have jumped ship to Linux Mint. The bug reports i have read through for Ubuntu seem much more civil.

When Openesuse matures, with both its developers and its software, I might try it again.
    It has been my experience, in every instance, that when approached politely, with forethought, and prepared to relay needed information, that the developer values input and feedback.

Every case that _I_ have witnessed that has gone bad was the result of a childish, immature person ranting on (often erroneously) about a problem they have encountered but are unwilling to help correct.

Good riddance.

Most of these comments are pretty similar to what I have seen on the WoW forums O.o. I think you guys can do better by admitting fault rather than ignoring it. Then again, those types of comments only further support what I am talking about.

Blog Entries

Most of these comments are pretty lame. I think you guys can do better by admitting fault rather than ignoring it. Then again, those types of comments only further support what I am talking about.
    Thus far you have offered only complaints and no evidence to support your complaints. Given this is an opensource community, where we progress by contributions, I think your view on the comments of others is more applicable to the comments of yourself. And if you really want to see something fixed sooner, contribute to the developers best you can.

Care to link to a bug report that has got you all upset?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast