Thread: How to compile source code

Threaded View

Default How to compile source code

Hey All.

I made the switch from Windows to Linux the other week. It's been pretty good. OpenSuse has pretty much every program I want, or available to install. But I sometimes see some only available in source code, so I'd like to know how to compile and install it.

I found this page Compiling software - openSUSE about it. But I got stuck at the part where it says

"First you need to install the development tools. In YaST, go to Software Management, then filter on Selections. Choose at least C/C++ Compiler and Tools. You might also need KDE, Gnome and Tcl/Tk Development and in some cases Kernel Development. The only drawback of installing all this together is a loss of disk space."

I opened up Software Management and typed in C++ and tons of things to install popped up. I have no clue what compiler(s) to install, which is the best, etc. If someone can tell me exactly which ones I should install, that would be great.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm using GNOME is that makes any difference.
    Last edited by Slushie; 10-Jul-2008 at 12:14. Reason: Wanted to add that I was using GNOME.