Installed Nvidia driver-- now annoying splash screen

I don’t know how to get rid of it, so I came here for that answer. I installed the nvidia restricted driver in order to get 3D effects and stuff, but now whenever I boot, just before I log in (I have automatic login set up), I see a gray screen with a big, green Nvidia logo. It wouldn’t bother me if it wasn’t so ugly. How can I get rid of it? Is there a way to choose which splash screens appear during boot? It’s after the regular openSUSE bootsplashes.

Help?

Simply run this command as root in terminal.

nvidia-xconfig --no-logo

Optionally, you can edit the no logo option into your xorg configuration file manually, but I don’t remember the option off the top of my head, and this command does the exact same thing.

Also, on this page it shows that their is a switch to change the logo, but I would sooner just get rid of it.

er…‘annoying’?..did you say ‘annoying’?

I thought it looked beautiful !

Anyway, that’s common with all nvidia drivers under opensuse.

CurvyTail wrote:

>
> er…‘annoying’?..did you say ‘annoying’?
>
> I thought it looked beautiful !
>
> Anyway, that’s common with all nvidia drivers under opensuse.
>
>

Yup, pretty! You can install your own custom logo to display too! My main
system is named ‘Saturn’, so I made an image with a photo of the planet
Saturn in it. Seeing the planet when I restart X is a good thing, as it
means that the nvidia drivers are working, X is coming up properly, and all
is well.

(Twinview - dual monitors!)

Loni

L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

Yep, it’s there to confirm the nvidia driver is installed and working - not so easy to discern otherwise.

Does that mean if you are not seeing it the drivers arent working right? My system seems to be working correctly (3D is enabled) but I have no Nvidia splash screen.

M13 wrote:

>
> Does that mean if you are not seeing it the drivers arent working right?
> My system seems to be working correctly (3D is enabled) but I have no
> Nvidia splash screen.
>
>

Difficult to say for sure. My 64bit system shows the logo, while my 32bit
system does not. Both are working very well. I’ve not had many problems
with nvidia cards and drivers, and the few times there were issues, it was
usually a configuration goof on my part when I tried to set it up by hand. I
know we all hate the phrase, but… “Works for me!” ™

Loni

L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

Moving thread from Install/Boot/Login to Applications forum.

Move complete.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 03:06:04 GMT
69 rs ss <69_rs_ss@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> redrazor39;1836659 Wrote:
> > I don’t know how to get rid of it, so I came here for that answer. I
> > installed the nvidia restricted driver in order to get 3D effects
> > and stuff, but now whenever I boot, just before I log in (I have
> > automatic login set up), I see a gray screen with a big, green
> > Nvidia logo. It wouldn’t bother me if it wasn’t so ugly. How can I
> > get rid of it? Is there a way to choose which splash screens appear
> > during boot? It’s after the regular openSUSE bootsplashes.
> >
> > Help?
> Move complete.
>
>
Hi
Add this into your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the Section “Device”.

Option “NoLogo” “True” # removes nVidia boot logo

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-default
up 6:33, 2 users, load average: 0.47, 0.45, 0.71
GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09

Did you install both nVidia RPMs via YaST (the only way to go, if you don’t want to break it with kernel updates)?

If so and you don’t get the splash screen, I’d say they didn’t install correctly.

I installed through one click when I was following the instructoins to get Compiz/Emerald to work from the openSuse wiki. I thought I was following the instructions. As a noob, is there a command I can input into the terminal to see if it is working or installed right? Thanks for any help.

Have a peek in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, under Section “Device”. If it says Driver “nvidia” there, you should be ok (“nv” would be the Open Source/non-nVidia driver).

I haven’t used Compiz/Emerald or those instructions myself, so I don’t know if that would explain why you’re not seeing the splash screen.

I will take a look at that as soon as I login to that PC later today. If it is not there can I just reinstall through Yast without messing everything up? Thanks for the help.

Thank you for your help MR2, I think this means all is good from the file you said:

Section “Device”
BoardName “GeForce 6600 GT”
BusID “1:0:0”
Driver “nvidia”
Identifier “Device[0]”
VendorName “NVidia”
EndSection

I guess the splash screen just is too fast for me to see :smiley:

Yes it is annoying because it has a sleep(3) in there or so, meaning nothing can start until it switches back to the regular gray X pattern.

No problem, M13. When you said Compiz, I practically knew it would be in there - don’t think that would run without. Just forget about the splash then, I guess. :slight_smile:

If you haven’t configured no logo, and you are using the proprietary main Nvidia driver, it always displays on every distro I’ve tried. The legacy driver might not show it, and the opensource driver probably doesn’t show it.

From a terminal run:

lsmod | grep nvidia

That should return a hit with nvidia if the nvidia module loaded.

That seems to be the case. A few months (years by now?) back I had to explicitly disable it in what is now the legacy 96.x series; as of today I don’t find that “Nologo” option in my xorg.conf anymore, which seems to confirm your observation.
The opensource one does not show it at all because it’s probably not written by Nvidia and since there is trademark on the logo whose use is most likely not approved by Nvidia.

Have the nvidia drivers installed via yast kde 4.1 and working. The nvidia logo at startup flashes for a second, is this ok? I like the logo, good design.