Thread: KDE4 Desktop Icons: can anyone drag and drop?

Default KDE4 Desktop Icons: can anyone drag and drop?

I'm curious if others are having the problem I'm having. I am new to openSUSE and sort of inadvertently ended up with KDE4, but I like it aside from some small beta-release quirks, and I'm curious if one of my issues is a quirk or an actual configuration issue.

It seems that if I have an icon of any kind on the desktop, whether it be a folder, document, or program launcher, I can't drag-and-drop it into a folder I've opened in Dolphin or Konqueror. Like, for example, I had some .pdfs on my desktop that I downloaded via Mozilla FIrefox, which was set to automatically download to desktop. I went to drag and drop these pdfs into my Documents folder, but I could not get it to work, it was as if the folder wasn't there. Am I missing something, or is this something that needs to be reported, or has it already been? What should I do?

Thanks,
    Dan

Default Re: KDE4 Desktop Icons: can anyone drag and drop?

Though I have KDE 3, KDE 4 and gnome installed, KDE 3 is my default DE and I am most comfortable with it. Looking at this post I tried but the drag and drop doesn't work. The only way I could delete or move a file from desktop, is to open it in Dolphin. Couldn't find any option to enable drag and drop on desktop either!

Anyone knows how to make it to work?

I would look to see if the widgets are "locked" or not.

I know this seems silly, but either leave them unlocked, or use the folder view widget; it's just one of those new things.

Blog Entries

It seems that if I have an icon of any kind on the desktop, whether it be a folder, document, or program launcher, I can't drag-and-drop it into a folder I've opened in Dolphin or Konqueror. Like, for example, I had some .pdfs on my desktop that I downloaded via Mozilla FIrefox, which was set to automatically download to desktop. I went to drag and drop these pdfs into my Documents folder, but I could not get it to work, it was as if the folder wasn't there. Am I missing something, or is this something that needs to be reported, or has it already been? What should I do?
    Had the same problem (amongst others), and decided to use KDE 3.5.9 desktop, until bugs are sorted.

Blog Entries

Try this:

In dolphin go to desktop and right click - create new folder - call it eg; Downloads
    Point FF to use that for all it's downloads.
    Now try. Works for me.

Thing is, the desktop in kde4 is quite different to kde3 and many of what might be described as Icons are actually widgets.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Yes you can D&D
    Lets take a file you say you dl'd some .pdf's
    Let's say you have one we'll call spice.pdf you clicked save to disk in Fx. You know this saves to Desktop & you want to put it into a folder let's call it Spice Loads here's what to do:
    1.Open Dolphin look for then open the folder Desktop
    2.In there you'll find spice.pdf do either A or B
    A.Click File select New Window
    B.Click the Dolphin icon once more
    3.In the new window find the folder called Spice Loads open it
    4.You should now have 2 open windows one Desktop the other Spice Loads you can D&D spice.pdf to Spice Loads
    One more thing widgets locked or unlocked make no difference to D&Ding
    I'm just a curious cat
    My 64 bit: CPU AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12 Core GPU MSI Radeon RX5600 XT
    MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
    . Am I missing something,
    Dan
    I have a KDE4 install that I keep updated to latest in "factory".

I am able to use Konqueror & open "Desktop"; create "links to applications, etc" and drag & drop them on the display desktop.

BTW, the KDE4 "Community" repro has a whole raft of plasmoids to download
    In Yast, setup the repos; search for "plasmoid"
    when downloaded, logout & log back in, they will be available when you right click desktop and "add widgets
    Last edited by snakedriver; 10-Jul-2008 at 05:01.
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

BTW, the KDE4 "Community" repro has a whole raft of plasmoids to download
    In Yast, setup the repos; search for "plasmoid"
    when downloaded, logout & log back in, they will be available when you right click desktop and "add widgets
    Thanks Snakedriver I didn't understand plasmoid installation until I read that. thanks
    I'm just a curious cat
    My 64 bit: CPU AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12 Core GPU MSI Radeon RX5600 XT
    MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5