Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kernel update

dfsgankl NNTP User

Default Kernel update

I accepted a kernel update on YaST today, and rebooted to see the following message:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-1.1-default

Error 15: File not found

What is the path to the new kernel?

Default Re: Kernel update

The new version here is '2.6.25.9-0.2-pae', so that would be /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.9-0.2-pae or just /boot/vmlinuz for the symbolic link.

Is there maybe a second boot item in your menu for the new kernel?
    Have a lot of fun!

Happened to me also, after update.. stopped booting
    please check
    Error while parsing number (again) - openSUSE Forums

If anyone knows how to solve the problem, please respond.
    I am on the verge of putting 10.3 back

Presuming the kernel files are there (in /boot) try running the repair utility on the install DVD to repair the boot process.

If this does not work you might have to run mkinitrd to rebuild your kernel files.

Others here might have better suggestions as I'm no expert here. Try the repair option first on the DVD & let us know how that went.

Fingers crossed,
    Wj
    Have a lot of fun!

WiTcHkInG NNTP User

Had that error also after updating.
    After much googling (thank god for splashtop) i found out that the update hadnt put the correct path in.

Before update the path would be ~ kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-1.1-default

but after update it was ~ kernel (hd0)/vmlinuz-2.6.25.9.0-2.default

had to edit it at grub loader and put the 4 into (hd0,4) then it booted fine.

im a complete linux/suse noob and think i might of fluked something by getting it to work.

Hi WiTcHkInG,

Thanks for posting that as I am sure it will help others & good for you for getting that sorted!

The thing that sticks out is that it seems to be happening for those having the 'default' version of the kernel and those using the 'pae' version are not running into this. To explain the versions : the kernel version installed is determined by the processor you are using, you seem to be running on older hardware (AMD XP/Pentium IV or older)? Correct?

Cheers,
    Wj
    Have a lot of fun!

WiTcHkInG NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by Magic31 View Post
    Hi WiTcHkInG,

Thanks for posting that as I am sure it will help others & good for you for getting that sorted!

The thing that sticks out is that it seems to be happening for those having the 'default' version of the kernel and those using the 'pae' version are not running into this. To explain the versions : the kernel version installed is determined by the processor you are using, you seem to be running on older hardware (AMD XP/Pentium IV or older)? Correct?

Cheers,
    Wj
    Well i hope its not considered older hardware by now.
    Intel xeon X3350 on an Asus P5Q Deluxe

You know how it is in the IT... new kid on the block is old and forgotten by the time he enters the door.

Wonder why you have the default kernel and not pae?

Might do some digging, need to get myself out the door now.
    Have a lot of fun!

nikolaki NNTP User

Way to go opensuse QA team, way to go... a pushed update that botches so many systems...

in my system the kernel "update" from 2.6.25.5 to .9 not only failed but also managed to delete all entries from the grub menu.lst file, and more importantly also delete ALL initrd / vmlinuz files, rendering a completely unbootable kernel-less system.

the repair option also did nothing:
    - the boot loader is in perfect order displaying an empty screen
    - the repair base (or all) packages also did nothing. now, we wouldn't call a kernel a "base" package, would we? Maybe it didn't find *any* kernel package and decided there's nothing to repair..

so now it's up to mkinitrd and some kernel from my other suse systems (which i chose not to "update" after this wonderful event) to make the system usable again...

someone from the openSUSE team should rise up and post something about this...

Blog Entries

Didn't have any problems here. Not saying that there is no problem but that it didn't fail everywhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast