Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ntfs-config and external drive

Default Re: ntfs-config and external drive

Yeah!
    It seems now works, but I've used to make really works apart your suggest, these permissions
    NTFS-3G Read/Write Driver Support

only a last problem now, if i open a Windows mount, it don't show any file...

FIXED, thank you so much for this free support!

Just to knows, the ntfs-config make a true big conflict in SUSE 11, I suggest to not install but to install only ntfs-3g for best NTFS support

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sm0k3r View Post
    FIXED, thank you so much for this free support!

Just to knows, the ntfs-config make a true big conflict in SUSE 11, I suggest to not install but to install only ntfs-3g for best NTFS support
    I share your view. After my initial enthusiasm with ntfs-config, I also had problems with ntfs-config back with openSUSE-10.3. Since then I have not used it, but I prefer to do hand edits if and when required. For example the symbolic link solution Swerdna recommended works well for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I share your view. After my initial enthusiasm with ntfs-config, I also had problems with ntfs-config back with openSUSE-10.3. Since then I have not used it, but I prefer to do hand edits if and when required. For example the symbolic link solution Swerdna recommended works well for me.
    I used to be gung-ho for ntfs-config too, but since external usb drives have become cheap and prolific, there has been increasing confusion in the old forums (SLS and SF.net) and now in this forum, because the ntfs-config GUI so often gets an external drive tangled into it, with really uncool results.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

daltcorda NNTP User

The correct way to do this is to modify the behavior of HAL to mount units detected across ntfs-3g, rather than ntfs.

How can this be achieved? Very simple, create a file 'mount.ntfs' on' / sbin / ', which includes:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ntfs-3g $1 $2
    of course, must be given permits execution, reboot. It works very well.

cheers.

This is very interesting, because i
    don't have problems with my external USB drive (160GB NTFS), hovever afterinstalling openSUSE 11.0 dual-booting with XP my 
    NTFS partition were not mounted for writing, only reading.

ntfs-config solved this issue and i have enabled write support only for internal devices. For external seems 
    to be write support already enabled...at least on my desktop 

btw. ntfs-config aplication shortcut is somehow broken. it cannot be launched by normal user, i don't have permissions and when i click on it, it doesn't prompt me for root password and instead 
    of that i get ugly error about insulficient rights...i can only launch it from terminal like root...

(su -> root password -> and then 'ntfs-config' command) WTF?

daltcorda NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by daltcorda View Post
    The correct way to do this is to modify the behavior of HAL to mount units detected across ntfs-3g, rather than ntfs.

How can this be achieved? Very simple, create a file 'mount.ntfs' on' / sbin / ', which includes:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ntfs-3g $1 $2
    of course, must be given permits execution, reboot. It works very well.

cheers.
    I copy/translate/paste from here:

FOROSuSE - tip * ntfs-3g * HAL

Blog Entries

There is a forest full of trees here. Don't lose sight of the original solution in post #4
    ntfs-config and external drive - openSUSE Forums
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123