Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hauppauge hvr-950

Default Hauppauge hvr-950

What do I need to do to get it working? Real pain in the neck! I have all the latest packages installed, kernel headers, firmware_v4 extracted in /lib/firmware....I have the em28xx module loaded as shown with lsmod. I tried to install "v4l-dvb-kernel", but it says my kernel is too old..LOL...meanwhile it is the most up to date version! 2.6.22.18+. It wants 2.6.99. Anyone know what to do here? I have NO /dev/dvb. Thanks (Suse 10.3/x86)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hauppauge hvr-950

Quote Originally Posted by Doug08 View Post
    What do I need to do to get it working? Real pain in the neck! I have all the latest packages installed, kernel headers, firmware_v4 extracted in /lib/firmware....I have the em28xx module loaded as shown with lsmod. I tried to install "v4l-dvb-kernel", but it says my kernel is too old..LOL...meanwhile it is the most up to date version! 2.6.22.18+. It wants 2.6.99. Anyone know what to do here? I have NO /dev/dvb. Thanks (Suse 10.3/x86)
    I do not have this card, nor do I see it in the openSUSE HCL (probably because not one openSUSE user who has the Hauppaguge HVR-950 running has bother to take the time to update the openSUSE HCL wiki ).

Anyway, in case you have not seen the winuxtv.org page, here is the reference:
    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 - LinuxTVWiki
    also, an old openSUSE-10.2 page
    Opensuse 10.2 - MythTV

OK....I have the tv tuner working properly now, but NO SOUND! I checked my mixer settings and noticed the volume was unable to be raised up from 0 on "tvtime". Many people have the sound issue problem. Who knows how to use "sox" to get the sound from my /dev/dvb or adapter0? There is a way. I need the command. Once I get the sound working, I will post exactly how I got it up and running. I also noticed that my Creative Live Webcam stopped working after I installed the v4l-dvb-experimental driver. The v4l-dvb-experimental driver interferes with the gspca-kmp-default driver from Suse(videodev.ko). Supposedly there is a way to allow both to work together. Any Ideas??

Blog Entries

OK....I have the tv tuner working properly now, but NO SOUND! I checked my mixer settings and noticed the volume was unable to be raised up from 0 on "tvtime". Many people have the sound issue problem. Who knows how to use "sox" to get the sound from my /dev/dvb or adapter0? There is a way. I need the command. Once I get the sound working, I will post exactly how I got it up and running. I also noticed that my Creative Live Webcam stopped working after I installed the v4l-dvb-experimental driver.
    My wife has a much simpler TV card. In her case to get the sound working, she had a cable that came out of the TV card, and plugged into the "line-in" of her motherboard's audio circuit. Then she had to select the "line in" in her mixer, enable it, and ensure the volume was correct. She uses kmix.

I do not have a "line-in" option on kmix. All I have are the following: capture/capture/digital/mux/mux for input, and Master/Pcm/front/mux/mux for output. I also have some options under switches: Mic/analog/digital/ICE 958/ICE 958 & Default PC/analog loopback. Could be that I am using a Dell Vostro 1500...My speakers/mic/headphones work perfectly....but no line in. How can I use the "sox" command?

Blog Entries

Could be that I am using a Dell Vostro 1500...My speakers/mic/headphones work perfectly....but no line in.
    How many input/output jacks do you have? Two ? Three ? How confident are you that you can not improve upon your Vostro setup?

How can I use the "sox" command?
    sox(1) - Linux man page

OK....I have the tv tuner working properly now, but NO SOUND! I checked my mixer settings and noticed the volume was unable to be raised up from 0 on "tvtime". Many people have the sound issue problem. Who knows how to use "sox" to get the sound from my /dev/dvb or adapter0? There is a way. I need the command. Once I get the sound working, I will post exactly how I got it up and running. I also noticed that my Creative Live Webcam stopped working after I installed the v4l-dvb-experimental driver. The v4l-dvb-experimental driver interferes with the gspca-kmp-default driver from Suse(videodev.ko). Supposedly there is a way to allow both to work together. Any Ideas??

Try this.

sox -r 48000 -w -c 2 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp1 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp & tvtime --mixer=/dev/mixercm
    wait tvtime
    t=`pidof sox`;
    kill $t;
    amixer -c 0 sset PCM 80%,80% unmute

On the SOX command.....I only have a /dev/dsp listed....no /dev/dsp1. Also, are the below commands correct? There was a smiley face in the middle of the "mixercm". After I enter the 1st command, I am unable to enter the next command "wait tvtime", unless I open a new command window, because the window is busy still with the 1st command. As for my jacks....I only have 1 mic input, besides the built-in and the speakers & a headphone output jack. How can I improve my sound system? Thanks

sox -r 48000 -w -c 2 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp1 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp & tvtime --mixer=/dev/mixercm
    wait tvtime
    t=`pidof sox`;
    kill $t;

Blog Entries

As for my jacks....I only have 1 mic input, besides the built-in and the speakers & a headphone output jack.
    Your hauppauge hvr-950 is a USB device, and my wife's PC has a PCI device (WinTV 44004) . Its quite possible no such cable interconnection is necessary for a USB, so I think it best I stop now in this thread and try NOT to extrapolate based on her PCI experience. Hopefully the superior experience of others will help guide you through this.

On the SOX command.....I only have a /dev/dsp listed....no /dev/dsp1. Also, are the below commands correct? There was a smiley face in the middle of the "mixercm". After I enter the 1st command, I am unable to enter the next command "wait tvtime", unless I open a new command window, because the window is busy still with the 1st command. As for my jacks....I only have 1 mic input, besides the built-in and the speakers & a headphone output jack. How can I improve my sound system? Thanks

wait tvtime
    t=`pidof sox`;
    kill $t;
    That is one command all together. It does indeed work, I have used it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast