Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opensuse 11 on a Netbook...anybody?

Default Opensuse 11 on a Netbook...anybody?

I'm planning to buy the Acer Aspire One netbook when it comes to market.
    Has anyone tried installing Opensuse 11 on a netbook - Airis Kira/EEE PC/OpenBook?
    I have the opensuse 11 kde4 live cd; if i copy it to a usb thumb drive, will i be able to boot from it on the Aspire One ?
    Do I really have to use an external CD drive to install opensuse ?
    Any suggestions....

Talking Re: Opensuse 11 on a Netbook...anybody?

Well, i can understand there's an article here:
    OpenSUSE on the EeePC - openSUSE

but still i would like first hand info from clever souls on this forum...
    ...keep thinking...

Default Re: Opensuse 11 on a Netbook...anybody?

have istalled it on my acer aspire 5520.
    Everything is perfect,apart from that wlan card.If the one u want to buy comes with atheros chepset as well,then it will be a real pain in the a*** to make it work.But in the end it will work.Other than this,everything is perfect.
    Check here as well for laptop hardware support
    "Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue"

linuxgonz NNTP User

I just installed openSuSE 11 in an Acer One, I had o do a network install booting from an USB memory. The only problem I had is that GRUB was not correctly configured so I was unable to boot from hd, I had to plug the USB. I will play with it for a few days and let you know how it went.

I installed OpenSuse 11 on my EeePC (see CurvyTail's post for a link to the instructions), and it works wonderfully. Not sure about the specific driver needs of another netbook, but the performance is fine.

john_markh NNTP User

I have openSuse 11 running on Advent 4211 (rebranding of MSI Wind U100) with no problems at all. I had to tweak it a bit to make resolution work on 10' screen and to compile Realtek drivers (not supported by default) but it all went smoothly. There is an excellent forum of MSI Wind users with a lot of information for different operating systems (including Ubuntu and opensuse) and all the possible upgrades and tweaks: MSI Wind News and Reviews.

Enjoy!

paleheretic NNTP User

Hi,

I've been running OpenSuse 11 on an EeePC 900 (the white 20GB on) for a few months now and am an Avid fan of the combination. You can find an outline of how I did the install here:

Pale Heretic: Installing OpenSUSE 11 on an EeePC 900

There are only a couple of the hardware elements that I haven't been able to get working so far.

My biggest problems at the moment are installing Suse on an EeePC 901 - the hardware for the wifi and nic are different and I cannot find any drivers that support them.... I'm just about to start a new thread about this here.....

Thanks!

Unhappy Re: Opensuse 11 on a Netbook...anybody?

Hello,
    Nice to see that more than I have the idea of running suse on netbooks without DVD/CD-ROM hw in them.
    I will try to upgrade my Acer Aspire one from WXP before I start to use it.
    I see the methods of using live CD and a second PC with network connection.
    I find it at dissapointing though, that no one have prepared a descent manual on hot to easy get in the DVD-iso on a USB-stick and make it bootable.
    Really, Im still a Linux-newbie but have at least no problem installing via DVD on any computer.
    But trying to follow this manual is really a bit over most heads, I must say:
    Installation without CD - openSUSE

Is it that difficult to write a step by step howto on how to get the content of an ISO-file onto a USB-stick the right way, and make it bootable?
    I dont see the network soulution as an easy one and its giving you extra work for no good reason at all.

Sorry for being a bit negative, but if Linux will ever make it to the masses, issues like this have to be more well documented.
    The Netbooks are coming heavily now, and SUSE should be well prepared to take care of new users on these light hardware PC:s.

OK, a more direct question then:
    On en.opensuse.org/Installation/ without CD - openSUSE
    it is written:

Assuming the version of openSUSE is 10.3 x86_64 or i386 and the usb stick is E: in Windows:

If you have a large usb drive you can do the same with the install CD!

I have not tried this with the DVD but i know it works with the CD.
    So I have a 8gig usb-stick. Ofcourse I would like to put all SUSE DVD on it. (Not messing around with another networked computer)
    But HOW?
    Cant someone write a script or something makning all this happen?
    Why is it so different from burning a DVD of an ISO?

No clew at all?
    Please?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast