Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Windows-Linux printer sharing

Default Need advice on Windows-Linux printer sharing

Hi. Running a network consisting of my SuSE 10.3 main desktop, a Windows XP box for net-radio streaming, and a Vista box for my children. I have a Brother MFC-7820N and (to-be-retired-imminently) Epson Stylus Photo R200 attached to the Linux box and shared successfully with the others via Samba. (Although, to be honest, I'm a big ignorant Samba newbie.)

Problem is: I just got a new Samsung CLP-300 colour laser (USB only, no ethernet) to replace the Epson inkjet, and I've put it on the kids' computer for use as their printer, but I want to access it now and again when I need colour printing myself. Don't know how to network it properly so the Linux box can see it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

So far, I've installed the printer as a local printer on the Vista box (not taking the network option); and then going to the printer properties, turning the printer into a shared printer (naming it samsung-clp-300 on the assumption it would come onto the network as \\kidsbox\samsung-clp-300), but it's a no-show either on the Linux box or the XP box.

Don't know where to take it from here.

There are 'standard' and 'custom' installation options for a networked printer on the driver-installation software, but I'm not sure what kind of TCP, port, or other information to enter.

is there anywhere anyone can point me that will help me set up in fairly plain language?

Many thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need advice on Windows-Linux printer sharing

Check out swerdna's guide:
    Printer Sharing: Windows Print Server for Suse/openSUSE Linux Clients [Samba and LPD]

I don't like samba, and hence if it were me, I would prefer the "Setting up a Linux client to print using LPD protocol (alternative to Samba)" toward the end of the page, but many users take the time to setup samba.

In our home LAN, we have the printer connected off of the openSUSE Linux PC (and my wife's WinXP PC prints through the openSUSE Linux PC via IPP).

Yes, I'd normally have the printer set up on my Linux box, too, but the whole point of this is to have one for the boys, so it really needs to be on the Vista box, as chagrined as I may be about that that!

Thanks much for the link. We're on our way, but not quite there.
    I'm able to set up the printer description in CUPS and make it recognise the printer (and the printer recognise it, importantly!), but I can't get any printing done. Details ...

I tried setting up through both Samba and LPD directions. LPD didn't work at all. Samba gets me a signal out, so to speak, and a response from the printer. However ... when running a test page through the CUPS setup process, I get the following message back ...

/usr/lib64/cups/filter/pstoraster failed

... and the test page stays in the queue.

Meanwhile, over at the printer, the printer warms up and prepares to print ... and then spits out the following message:

SPL-C ERROR -- Please use the proper driver
    Position: 0x0 (0)
    System: src/xl_image
    Line: 462
    Version SPL-C 5.24 06-28-2006

The latter bit suggests to me there may be something wrong on the windows end ... but after re-installing the drivers, I didn't get any joy. Could it be the Linux PPD file? (I'm on 64-bit architecture ... could this make a difference?)

update: it appears to have been the driver. I d/l-ed and installed Samsung's proprietary drivers, and that got me one step further. Only now the test page reports back ...

unable to connect to CIFS host; trying again in 60 seconds.

hmm.

doctor-frog wrote:

>
    > update: it appears to have been the driver. I d/l-ed and installed
    > Samsung's proprietary drivers, and that got me one step further. Only
    > now the test page reports back ...
    >
    > unable to connect to CIFS host; trying again in 60 seconds.
    >
    > hmm.
    >
    >

In the yast printer setup, I imagine you're using the 'smb' printer type. Did
    you put anything in the 'workgroup / domain' field? try defining the
    printer again, and leave the workgroup field blank. Just enter hostname of
    windows machine, and printer share name. My experience has been that
    supplying the workgroup confuses something, and it never connects.

Loni
    --
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com

I'm not using YaST; I've been setting up through http://localhost:631. That said, I've tried it both with and without workgroup name ... and now have done it both ways in YaST, since you mention it.

Same results.

I wonder if I'm missing a windows setting. I followed that tutorial as closely as I could; but it's for XP, and vista is rather different.

PS -- I've noticed that when I do control panels --> printers and faxes --> add printer on my XP box (same network), the XP box doesn't even see the printer.

herm.

doctor-frog wrote:

>
    > PS -- I've noticed that when I do control panels --> printers and faxes
    > --> add printer on my XP box (same network), the XP box doesn't even
    > see the printer.
    >
    > herm.
    >
    >

I *really* hate asking this....

Firewall?

Loni

--
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com

no, don't hate asking. always a worthwhile question.

SuSE firewall has cups enabled for the external zone. opened the port myself. I'll go check the windows box ... back in a sec ...

... and, yep. TCP/IP printer sharing is opened. Must have been opened automatically when I set the box up initially or else when I opened up the Unix LPD stuff rougly (very roughly) as the tutorial given to me earlier describes it.

If there's something further I'm missing, tell me. Even if it's something obvious; I won't hate you for it!

doctor-frog wrote:

>
    > no, don't hate asking. always a worthwhile question.
    >
    > SuSE firewall has cups enabled for the external zone. opened the port
    > myself. I'll go check the windows box ... back in a sec ...
    >
    > .. and, yep. TCP/IP printer sharing is opened. Must have been opened
    > automatically when I set the box up initially or else when I opened up
    > the Unix LPD stuff rougly (very roughly) as the tutorial given to me
    > earlier describes it.
    >
    > If there's something further I'm missing, tell me. Even if it's
    > something obvious; I won't hate you for it!
    >
    >

{Grin} always good to get the dumb stuff out of the way first...

XP not being able to see the printer is not a good sign. On XP, if you typed:

\\kidsbox\samsung-clp-300

in the address bar (start->run, or IE, etc), does XP find the kid's vista
    machine?

And did we check firewall / file-print sharing on the VISTA box? If it's a
    typical Windows box... did it come with Norton or McAfee? They usually ALSO
    supply a firewall.

Can you ping each machine from each other machine?

Keep playing with it until the XP box can see the Vista box. Then try the
    linux box again.

Loni

--
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast