Thread: I can't sing

Blog Entries

Unhappy I can't sing

I was in our library the other day during a lunch break, and was "paper" browsing some of the Linux Journal magazines ... and saw a neat article in the Oct2007 issue of Linux Journal magazine on recording audio under linux.

So tonight I started playing around with some of the simple recording commands and applications. I first had to setup my mixer to record sound, ... and for a good 10 minute I was stumped because my kmix was mis-configured, specifically under the "switches tab" which had "surround jack mode" set to "shared" instead of "independent". I don't even know what that means, but it was enough to stop my capability to record audio, until I changed to "independent".

I then played around with command lines like:
    arecord -d 10 myrecording.wav
    and
    arecord -d 15 -f cd secondrecording.wav
    and
    also played with krec and krecord

I pulled out some old song sheets, and played with the various applications for a while, singing as a test input to my microphone and the applications I was playing with. ....

But by far the BIGGEST disappointment was, I CAN'T SING.

As some of my good friends used to tell me: .... Don't give up my day job.

Default Re: I can't sing

My mother was an opera singer. I can only keep a tune in my head.

I feel your pain.

g

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post

As some of my good friends used to tell me: .... Don't give up my day job.
    Same here, the only difference being I didn't need to go to the trouble of recording my singing (perhaps singing is the wrong word here!) to find out.
    Paul Turner

Somewhere in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri

Don't feel so bad, I've been told my singing resembles shaking gravel in a tin bucket!
    Somewhere, just out of sight, the Penguins are gathering!

I was once threatened with an umbrella because of my singing. It only encouraged me though

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post

Start with "karaoke" at home.

I took one voice lesson and got my money back. I did a bunch of stage theater and figured I needed to learn how to sing so I could audition for musicals. I was told I was utterly hopeless. Most people who have heard me have said I'm singularly the worst singer they've ever heard.

When American Idol was in town last year for auditions, I was encouraged to try out to see if I could be worse than William Hung.

The only person who enjoys hearing me sing is my two-year old daughter.

Jim Henderson NNTP User

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:36:03 +0000, enderandrew wrote:

> Most people who have heard
    > me have said I'm singularly the worst singer they've ever heard.

Have they heard Jeremy Hardy?

Jim

Blog Entries

Thanks for the all the comments.

Of course singing opera was never a consideration of mine, but even a mildly pleasant on tune voice would have been nice.

The comment alluding to not needing to go through the trouble to do the recording was "right on the money". I should have heeded before hand. I absolutely also had to do a rm *.wav afterward, and remove the evidence before the neighbours called the local constabulary and had me arrested for noise pollution hazardous to the community health!

Now I pondered practicing with karaoke, but the impact of my wife's laughter is both devastating and infectious, as I start laughing too.

We have no children, but one can only wonder at the love filter that children have in place when looking at a loved parent. Kudos to you!

I think I'll research and watch some of the early Idol seasonal episodes, to soothe my injured self esteem.

I was actually stopped halfway though my rendition of "New York, New York" on a karaoke night at a favorite bar I used to go to, many, many years ago.

The manager asked me never to perform again. Ever. He even requested a court injunction blocking me from performing Karaoke within 300M of his establishment, and the judge granted it after reviewing the video.

It scarred me grievously, and I have never sang in public since.

There's no accounting for taste...

Cheers,
    KV