Thread: Soundblaster Live! 5.1 glitchiness

arrrgh NNTP User

Default Soundblaster Live! 5.1 glitchiness

I have recently upgraded my openSUSE 10.3 system to 11 and am very happy except for one thing - my soundcard. It was working fine with 10.3 but now Yast2 seems to "forget" my settings - when I first upgraded the sound stopped working so I went into Yast2 to reconfigure - the test sound did not play and when I came back in after a reset it had forgotten all my settings my card came up as ""Not configured". Can anyone help? Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Soundblaster Live! 5.1 glitchiness

Quote Originally Posted by arrrgh View Post
    I have recently upgraded my openSUSE 10.3 system to 11 and am very happy except for one thing - my soundcard. It was working fine with 10.3 but now Yast2 seems to "forget" my settings - when I first upgraded the sound stopped working so I went into Yast2 to reconfigure - the test sound did not play and when I came back in after a reset it had forgotten all my settings my card came up as ""Not configured". Can anyone help? Thanks!
    Given all we know about your PC is it has a sound card that worked under 10.3 but not in 11.0, there is no real card specific advice that can be given. So instead some general advice, ... please try and follow the audio troubleshooting guide to get your sound back:
    SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

if that doesn't work for you, then please paste here the output URL provided to you by running the two diagnostic scripts (repeated below) in an xterm/konsole while your PC is connected to the Internet.
    Code:
    wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
    For the following script, when prompted for password please enter your root password, and also type "NO" for every question that you do not understand.
    Code:
    su -c 'wget -O tsalsa wget http://home.cfl.rr.com/infofiles/tsalsa && bash tsalsa'
    again, please paste here the URL that those two sites will provide.

Also, could you please provide the output of pasting the following commands (one at a time) in an xterm/konsole:
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

... also, since you are referring to 5.1 surround sound, if you have a custom /home/username/.asoundrc file (and it is quite possible you have no such file), then please paste its contents to general pastebin - simplified internet collaboration and post that URL here.

arrrgh NNTP User

1: general pastebin - luke - post number 1064549
    2: tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)
    rpm -qa | grep alsa:
    alsa-devel-1.0.17rc1.git20080610-1.2
    alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
    alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
    alsa-firmware-1.0.16.92.git20080617-1.1
    openal-alsa-emu10k1-1.2-1.6
    alsa-plugins-1.0.16.hg20080514-3.2
    alsa-1.0.16.92.git20080617-3.1
    alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1

rpm -qa | grep pulse:
    libpulse0-0.9.10-26.1
    pulseaudio-utils-0.9.10-26.1
    pulseaudio-0.9.10-26.1
    libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.10-26.1
    libpulse-browse0-0.9.10-26.1
    gstreamer-0_10-pulse-0.9.5-54.1
    libpulsecore4-0.9.10-26.1
    alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1

rpm -q libasound2:
    libasound2-1.0.17rc1.git20080610-1.2

uname -a:

Linux lukelinux 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound:
    alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
    (??? why do I have 2 kernel modules for 1 soundcard? is this the problem?)

And I don't actually use the surround sound so there was no .asoundrc file.
    Sorry I didn't give some more info.

Blog Entries

I was astounded by the number of selections you have in your mixer. ... One just does not see that sort of selection on my old hardware ..

Anyway, take a good look at your mixer. Maybe switch off the external amp. Also ensure you switch ON the analog digital. Maybe there are some hints here:
    [Solution] Creative Audigy 1/2 + 11.0 + KDE/GNOME + ALSA - openSUSE Forums

arrrgh NNTP User

Sorry, but that was unchecked. I did get it working briefly before by resetting the settings but it stopped working after I quit the program using it. It's working - when my soundcard starts up or restarts I hear a "pop" in my headphones. The only thing different is this "PulseAudio" thingy. I tried uninstalling it - but that made no difference. What is it?

Blog Entries

Sorry, but that was unchecked.
    Does this mean you changed your configuration since you ran the script, and hence I no longer have accurate information telling me your configuration?

I did get it working briefly before by resetting the settings but it stopped working after I quit the program using it. It's working - when my soundcard starts up or restarts I hear a "pop" in my headphones.
    What do you mean by "its working" ? .... Does that mean your problem is solved.

I simply do not understand your description. I understand it makes perfect sense to you, but from someone (like me) reading your post, and trying to understand, this does not mean much. At least it does not to me. Maybe someone else can chime in, who understands your description.

A couple of requests, ... when testing your sound, please do so with a common test. May I recommend copying and pasting the 2 channel, 4channel, and 5.1 channel tests, following into an xterm konsole, and use it as your test to determine what, if anything, works re: your sound (the "l5" commands 5 cycle tests to your speakers, ... "l3" would instead command 3-cycles):

2 channel:
    speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

4 channel surround:
    speaker-test -Dplug:surround40 -c4 -l5 -twav

5.1 channel surround:
    speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 -l5 -twav

Also, if your sound is "working" and then "mysteriously" (to you) stops, please copy and paste the following into a konsole, to see if you can identify an application or device which has seized control of the audio (and is not letting it go):
    lsof /dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/mixer* /dev/snd/*

My apologies if I am merely telling you things you already know, but there is so much "fuzziness/fog" when I read the above posts, I think it very important you try and clearly identify what the problem might be.

Also, when you get your sound functioning, a very good idea is to SAVE the configuration. So next time it works, please in a konsole, with root permissions, type: alsactl store

arrrgh NNTP User

Sorry - I meant by "it was unchecked" I meant that that was not the problem. I meant that my soundcard is booting up alright - I heard the "pop" as it started up - I just don't get any other sound - the test sound, sound from any other program. Is it a software-side problem, maybe?
    The 2, 4 and 5 channel did not work, they all said:
    Unable to set hw params for playback: Cannot allocate memory
    Setting of hwparams failed: Cannot allocate memory

as an error
    Last edited by arrrgh; 07-Jul-2008 at 18:20. Reason: Forgot something

arrrgh NNTP User

Talking Re: Soundblaster Live! 5.1 glitchiness

Well, I fixed it. I did it by turning the option "Mix" on in the mixer. After all that, I just forgot to tell the sound mixer to actually work . Hope this helps someone else!

How typical...lol

I wondered why I wasn't getting 5.1 surround sound with my SB Live, then I looked at the mixer, and the center and surround volumes were way down...

So often we forget the simple remedies.
    I'm confused...No, wait...Maybe I'm not...