Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SigmaTel STAC9205 Dell 1520 Mic very quiet

Default SigmaTel STAC9205 Dell 1520 Mic very quiet

Hi,

I'm running 11.0, and I just can't get the internal microphone to work correctly. It works fine in Windows, but not with Fedora 8, or what I have now installed, openSUSE 11.0

The internal microphone is so quiet. It "works", but I just can't turn it up. I've googled a lot about this, and it seems some people have solved the issue, and others not, but playing with volume and capture settings. I've moved and clicked everything I can reach using Kmix, but no luck. I do not have a "mic boost" switch. It badly needs a mic boost switch !

I've also tried setting

options snd-hda-intel to various options, but no luck.

Any ideas ? The internal mic itself, does "work", its just too quiet when using Skype and KRecord. I have to get very close to the mic for it to sound normal. As this Dell model has a webcam, I can't really put my face up to the mic when using Skype, as the webcam just picks my nose out !

Thanks.

Default Re: SigmaTel STAC9205 Dell 1520 Mic very quiet

have you tried upping the pcm volume with kmix? not sure if this will fix it but it might help!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjmoore27 View Post
    I'm running 11.0, and I just can't get the internal microphone to work correctly. ....The internal microphone is so quiet. It "works", but I just can't turn it up. .... I've moved and clicked everything I can reach using Kmix, but no luck. I do not have a "mic boost" switch.....I've also tried setting
    options snd-hda-intel to various options, but no luck.
    By various "options" I presume you mean you tried the options here from the ALSA-Configuration.txt file:
    (Reference: Linux Kernel Documentation :: sound : alsa : ALSA-Configuration.txt )
    Code:
    983		STAC9205/9254
    984		  ref		Reference board
    985		  dell-m42	Dell (unknown)
    986		  dell-m43	Dell Precision
    987		  dell-m44	Dell Inspiron
    How did you enter these options? Via YaST, or by editing your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file?

Can you provide the EXACT syntax as to what your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file looks like after such an edit. ie provide the output of:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

Please also provide output of:
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a

When connected to the internet, can you also run the two diagnostic scripts from the opensuse audio troubleshooting guide, and post the URLs here on this thread, that they provide:
    Code:
    wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
    In the next script, when prompted for a password, enter your root password, and type "NO" for every question that you do not understand.
    Code:
    su -c 'wget -O tsalsa wget http://home.cfl.rr.com/infofiles/tsalsa && bash tsalsa'

Thanks for the detailed reply. I've not tried the dell-m44 option, and as my Dell is an inspiron, that would be a good option to pick. I'm at work now, and can't play with the laptop. But I'll execute all your suggests this evening and post the results here.

I can turn the volume down using the capture slider, but at its highest position, its just very quiet.

I already have the PCM slider at full, and moving this didn't make a difference.

I tried options dell-m44, dell, and dell-3stack by directly editing the sound file. Nothing changed. At first I used Yast, but this didn't seem to save the setting when I changed module. Only if I edited the file directly, did Yast pick out the change, when I checked what the setting was.

Each time after changing the sound file, I performed a new start. But still the mic was very quiet. I played around with kmix too, but no difference. Basically it didn't seem to matter what I set module to.

I then ran out of time. I'll post all the other test info later, and try running the diagnostic scripts.

There are still other dell specified settings I could try too. If only there was a magic mic boost option switch !

Thanks,
    Jon.

Blog Entries

I tried options dell-m44, dell, and dell-3stack by directly editing the sound file. Nothing changed. At first I used Yast, but this didn't seem to save the setting when I changed module. Only if I edited the file directly, did Yast pick out the change, when I checked what the setting was.
    Can you show me the EXACT syntax you used? ie paste the contents of the /etc/modprobe.d/sound file here.

suse-11:/etc/modprobe.d # cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
    # u1Nb.uFfEBSd3JdA:82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

I have then added a line at the end to specify model. Like below.

options snd-hda-intel model=dell

I have tried dell-m44, dell, and dell-3stack as models by editing the sound file. Trying one change at a time. When using Yast to change the model, it isn't saved. Well at least it isn't saved in the sound file if it is saved. When I edit the file directly, reboot, then check with Yast, it does read the model correctly.

Here is some more info:

suse-11:/etc/modprobe.d # rpm -qa | grep alsa
    alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
    alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
    alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1
    alsa-1.0.16-39.1
    suse-11:/etc/modprobe.d # rpm -qa | grep pulse
    suse-11:/etc/modprobe.d # rpm -q libasound2
    libasound2-1.0.16-39.1
    suse-11:/etc/modprobe.d # uname -a
    Linux suse-11 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

The first script

Your ALSA information is located at general pastebin - J_Moore - post number 1065633

Second script

uploading /tmp/tsalsa.txt to nopaste.com
    tsalsa completed in 191 seconds
    paste this url in #alsa: tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)

Thank you for taking the time to look at all this.

Blog Entries

I have then added a line at the end to specify model. Like below.
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell
    I have tried dell-m44, dell, and dell-3stack as models by editing the sound file. Trying one change at a time.
    dell and dell-3stack are not proper options for your hardware audio codec, as far as I know. Why those?

The options are as I already posted here:
    Code:
    985		  dell-m42	Dell (unknown)
    986		  dell-m43	Dell Precision
    987		  dell-m44	Dell Inspiron
    ie a file like:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m44
    then restart with rcalsasound restart and test your sound.

PLEASE do NOT run alsaconf and do NOT go to yast > hardware > sound after making that edit as it will remove the edit, completely defeating the purpose of your making the edit.

Frankly, I have no idea if you did the above properly (apologies, my wife says I am very grumpy tonight - and I think she is right - a rough day at work).

I'll look at the rest of your post later, ... right now I'm just very tired ......

Blog Entries

uploading /tmp/tsalsa.txt to nopaste.com
    tsalsa completed in 191 seconds
    paste this url in #alsa: tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)
    I'm looking at your mixer settings ....
    Code:
    Amixer contents for card 0 [Intel] _____________________________________        
    amixer set 'Master',0 79% on        
    amixer set 'PCM',0 100% 100%        
    amixer set 'Front',0 100%,100% on        
    amixer set 'IEC958',0 off        
    amixer set 'IEC958 Default PCM',0 on        
    amixer set 'Capture',0 Capture 0 0%,Capture 0 0% on        
    amixer set 'Capture',1 Capture 0 0%,Capture 0 0% on        
    amixer set 'Analog Loopback',0 off        
    amixer set 'Digital Input Source',0 Items: 'Analog Inputs' 'Digital Mic 1' Item0: 'Digital Mic 1'        
    amixer set 'Input Source',0 Items: 'Mic' Item0: 'Mic'        
    amixer set 'Input Source',1 Items: 'Mic' Item0: 'Mic'        
    amixer set 'Mux',0 Capture 4 100% Capture 4 100%        
    amixer set 'Mux',1 Capture 4 100% Capture 4 100%
    Try the following /etc/modprobe.d/sound file:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m44
    I recommend you take a hard look at your mixer settings. Any chance your laptop uses digital audio? In which case, you need to switch it on. Test that. (ie IEC958=ON, and its IEC958-PCM switched ON/up). If it doesn't work, switch it back off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I recommend you take a hard look at your mixer settings. Any chance your laptop uses digital audio? In which case, you need to switch it on. Test that. (ie IEC958=ON, and its IEC958-PCM switched ON/up). If it doesn't work, switch it back off.
    also, when testing your audio, try the following audio test (copy and paste it into an xterm/konsole):
    speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast