Default Re: 10.2 System crashed, advice please

Im running out of suggestions.

Read this page here on Grub.
    SDB:The Boot Manager Grub - openSUSE

Hopefully it will get you booted.
    Keep us posted.
    Inquiring minds want to know?

Well, the site was informative, as much of it as I was able to absorb. Unfortunatly. It doesn't talk about loading the kernel, at least I saw nothing about that, and when I try to boot with GRUB it says:
    Error 8: Kernel must be loaded before booting
    So... That's as far as I can get. Honestly, I'm not so good with this stuff. If there aren't anymore ideas then I'm just going to have to install it again. I need a computer that works, not a fun side project to poke at when I have time, ya know?

Thanks for the help though Doog.
    Late

> 1: I'm not sure what the "GRUB" screen is. When I say the bios splash
    > screen. I mean the built in, 'hey your motherboard works!' screen. If I
    > have the install disk in, then a second spash screen pops up. Is that
    > GRUB?

no, that second splash is part of the menu options available on the
    install disk..

the install _should_ have installed a similar menu on your hard disk,
    but apparently did not do it correctly...which is why without the
    install disk in you only get that blinking cursor...strangely..

tell me, before you started installing SuSE 10.2, was there an
    operational system on the machine? was it some flavor of Windows(tm) and
    when you installed the first time did you SELECT to dual boot both
    windows and SuSE?

> 2: By "immediately" I meant that I let it finish booting. It went right
    > up to my desk top.

to me, that means that it DID boot from your hard disk, after it got
    past missing GRUB (by doing the initial booting from the install disk)

> I didn't want to mess with anything for fear of
    > dealing more damage before figuring out what went wrong, so I shut it
    > down using the "shut down" option in the GUI.

well, if this is not a dual boot machine, and you have not had a
    successful install yet (and therefore have not loaded up personal files,
    emails, photos and etc) there is not much harm you can do worse than
    sitting and looking at a blinking cursor, ONLY..

> 3: It's an ACER Aspire 3690, Bought December 2006. According to the
    > specs on the OpenSUSE site, I fall just under the prefered specs
    > because of my processor.

then my thoughts on "old" hardware is not the problem..

> 4: A live boot CD/DVD isn't an option at the moment as my network at
    > work doesn't allow for downloads that are larger than your average
    > picture or text doc. Very untrusting if you ask me. I could maybe find
    > someone near by that might be able to help me, but that will take a few
    > days at the least.

i don't remember if i gave you this link before, maybe there is a
    ǵuy/gal down the hall with a copy of Knoppix in their desk:
    http://www.linux.org/groups/

> As my own update, I booted the system the same way I had before, but
    > this time I tried to look around a little. I didn't do much. I couldn't
    > even connect to the internet. Since I don't have any real idea what I am
    > doing, I thought it best to just shut it down again.

have you ever considered reading how through some basic instructions
    about how the systems work...

> Would the "update" installation option work if I just used the 10.2
    > disk again?

it might...but first answer: is it a dual boot system...does the hard
    drive contain any valuable files, photos, emails, etc??

if it is a dual boot machine and you wanna keep that..do NOT read on..

if not, i'd suggest you do a complete new install, selecting NOT
    "update", that is (i don't remember exactly what the screen looks like,
    but i think you select) "new install" and i'd also it will format, set
    up three partitions (one each for /, /home and swap) and it will trundle
    though and IF connected to the internet, it will update with
    patches....(oh no, those might have been removed already....i'm not
    sure...) and if you experience is like mine was with 10.2 almost
    everything will "just work"..

--
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
    A Texan in Denmark

i _think_ (like you i believe) that since it _will_ boot using the
    install disk and selecting "boot existing system" that all he needs is a
    working grub...(and his hard disk is not dead)

but i can't help with that...can anyone?

--
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
    A Texan in Denmark

I didn't realize that the firmwared splash screen was what you were meaning for me to go view the GRUB info. I now know about it, but don't really understand most of the commands that I can use there.

Also, OpenSUSE was installed successfully a few months back. Not as a dual boot system. I did install wine, and tried to use it... that's when everything went wonky. So, yes, there is a lot of personnal information that I would rather not lose.

And, no... no one here uses linux. The "IT" guy looked at me and only said "wow" when I told him I was going to run linux on my machine. Even if I could find someone in the area that understood linux, they probably wouldn't be able to help me as I don't really speak their Language that well... that's one draw back to living in a foreign country.

I've read through tons of sites about linux and various parts of it, but I'm not too good with drawing lines between two sets of ideas. 1/2 the time I end up finding and answer that I can't use because I don't know what it says. I have to go read up that. Which then leads me to something else I have to read to understand that bit. While that isn't a problem when I'm just putsing around trying to get some little hobbiest software to work, it's not so good when I'm trying to get my machine to work. Maybe linux just isn't user friendly enough yet. Or it could just be that I am not suited to SUSE. I would prefer not to go back to MS if at all possible, but at least then I can figure out what the hell went wrong and usually fix it.

I discovered something that is a bit odd when I tried to run the "update" in an attempt to just fix/replace broken/missing files.
    1: for some reason, as I think someone mentioned earlier but it got glossed over. My system seems to be looking for sda1 instead of hd0 as it should be.
    2: it tried to mount the /windows/C/ folder that wine created when I installed it.

How do I go about trying to get it to look in the right place? Why is it trying to mount a folder that is only part of one program on my system and has nothing to do with my opperating system?

bcrisciotti>Excuse my last post was wrong. I correct. Perform the command find /boot/grub/stage2 now write root (hd0,1) then setup (hd0). Very sorry hope this helps

Thank you, yes that would have worked if I didn't keep getting the Error: 8 Kernel must be loaded before booting
    Late

When reading over the GRUB site that doog posted, I found that there are two lines that should be in a grub option.

>kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 vga=791
    initrd (hd0,4)/initrd

Mine only has one line

initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd-abunchof#s-default

If I do find /boot/vmlinuz I get (hd0,1). But, if I try to find kernel or vga or root all I get is file not found

I don't know what vga or the # it is equal to are or their importance. What I can figure out is, I need to some how tell my machine where the kernel is again. I don't know WHY I have to do this, but it seems pretty clear that this is the next obvious step... unfortunatly for me or my computer, I have no inkling as to how this could be accomplished.

Does any one else?
    Late

Blog Entries

One of your problems seems to be inability to boot Suse from the hard drive, is that right? If so then try the following, if not then ignore it.

You may have missed a step when you tried to reinstall Grub. Did you checkmark the box on the second Tab labeled "boot from mbr" or did you leave it as "boot from root partition"? If latter then your fix will likely fail. I suggest you do it again just to be sure and follow this routine exactly:

Boot the computer (off the install media?). Then go to Yast --> System --> Boot Loader. The Grub configuration screen comes up with the Tab "Section Management" activated. In the lower right is a drop-down selector labelled "Other". Select from "Other" the option "Propose New Configuration" and then wait for Grub to analyse your partitions and display a new configuration. This may take a while. Important: When that finishes, activate the tab labeled "Boot Loader Installation" and select to "Boot from the Master Boot Record". [Yast will often default to booting from the root or boot partition rather than from the MBR but that's for experts only -- always choose the MBR.] Then click Finish to save the changes and install the reconfigured Grub into the hard drive's MBR. If you get a message that "The bootloader boot sector will be written to a floppy disk ......... don't bother with the floppy -- just click OK to proceed and install to the MBR. Reboot and you should be able to boot to openSUSE using the Grub menu screen.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Exclamation Re: 10.2 System crashed, advice please

Swerdna, thanks. That at least got grub to start coming up on it's own. That is, I don't have to have disk in to get to grub. I still can't boot though. The error has changed slightly. It is now Error 19: Linux Kernel must be loaded before initrd instead of Error: 8 Kernel must be loaded before booting

edit: The kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 vga=791, or equivalent line, is still missing from the grub option that I have.
    Late

Blog Entries

Before we go on with trying to rejuvenate the damaged directory of files and so on:

Option 1:
    Have you got a spare drive, like an external usb drive or a usb stub/pen drive about 4 Gb. You could plug that in, boot the computer off a Live Linux cd like Knoppix or any Distro's Live CD that you can get from your local hobby shop, news vendor, whoever sells Linux magazines in your town, a Linux magazine in your town Library. You could copy the /home directories off the damaged partition to the usb device and reinstall Suse, then repatriate the home files.

Option 2: if you originally installed Suse with separate root and home partitions, you can simply install it again to the root partition, setting the old home partition to be mounted as /home in the new installation, but NOT to be formatted (use expert partition mode).

Are either of those practical. If not we could press on.
    Last edited by swerdna; 08-Jul-2008 at 17:22.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Option 1: I have an external HD with at least that much space. I would have to go to a friend's place and leech their net to get a working live cd distro. I live in a very small town (almost a village) in Japan. I would be lucky to find anything dealing with linux here. Most people don't know anything except windows or mac. And even then they don't comprehend the difference.

Option 2: I'm pretty sure that I set up SUSE with three partitions. a small boot partition of some sort (not even 1 gig), root(about 15 or 20 gigs), and home. What ever it was that SUSE recommended that I do. I know that my home directory and root directory are on different partitions.

I won't do anything until you finish what you wanted to say though.
    Late

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast