Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10.2 System crashed, advice please

Default Re: 10.2 System crashed, advice please

Use a DVD and go to Installation. I think you have two options on the install. Boot existing system is one. And another choice is repair system.
    I would think either one would get your system to boot.
    Inquiring minds want to know?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    >

but, if you don't consider it _might_ be dead why would you boot a CD
    with partition read utilities to check? ;-)

--
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
    A Texan in Denmark
    I'm not saying that the disk might or might not be bad, just that booting from a LiveCD will yield more and better information... First, you're gathering information from within a working OS environment and Second that a special disk utility tool working from within a working OS is likely going to give you a more informative error.

Question Re: 10.2 System crashed, advice please

1: I'm not sure what the "GRUB" screen is. When I say the bios splash screen. I mean the built in, 'hey your motherboard works!' screen. If I have the install disk in, then a second spash screen pops up. Is that GRUB?
    2: By "immediately" I meant that I let it finish booting. It went right up to my desk top. I didn't want to mess with anything for fear of dealing more damage before figuring out what went wrong, so I shut it down using the "shut down" option in the GUI.
    3: It's an ACER Aspire 3690, Bought December 2006. According to the specs on the OpenSUSE site, I fall just under the prefered specs because of my processor.
    4: A live boot CD/DVD isn't an option at the moment as my network at work doesn't allow for downloads that are larger than your average picture or text doc. Very untrusting if you ask me. I could maybe find someone near by that might be able to help me, but that will take a few days at the least.

As my own update, I booted the system the same way I had before, but this time I tried to look around a little. I didn't do much. I couldn't even connect to the internet. Since I don't have any real idea what I am doing, I thought it best to just shut it down again.

Would the "update" installation option work if I just used the 10.2 disk again?
    Late

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    I'm not saying that the disk might or might not be bad, just that booting from a LiveCD will yield more and better information... First, you're gathering information from within a working OS environment and Second that a special disk utility tool working from within a working OS is likely going to give you a more informative error.
    If I do get a working live cd. What would I need to do to get you guys more accurate info on my system? Terminal commands I should run? That sort of thing.
    Late

If I insert the installation disk, it gives me the following options:

Boot from Hard Disk (blinking cursor)
    Installation
    Installation -- ACPI Disabled
    Installation -- Lacal APIC Disabled

Go to Installation. I think you have two options on the install. Boot existing system is one. And another choice is repair system.
    Try booting existing system. If that doesn't work try repairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doog View Post
    Try booting existing system. If that doesn't work try repairing.
    I tried both; one of my posts yesterday showed the results of the repair attempt, and the fstab errors that I got.

I can boot the system using the disk, but I don't know what to do after I get it up and running. You know... like how to FIX it. So, I basically sit there looking at my desktop with a bunch of programs that won't work properly, worrying that I may be causing more damage since I'm obviously NOT fixing any. If I reboot the system after that it just goes back to the blinking cursor.
    Late

Once the system is booted up go to.

YaST, system, bootloader, you'll see an 'other' button on the selection screen on the bottom right. Click that and then select 'propose new configuration'. Save and exit. Reboot.

Hopefully that will configure grub and get your boot loader back.

Quote Originally Posted by Doog View Post
    Once the system is booted up go to.

YaST, system, bootloader, you'll see an 'other' button on the selection screen on the bottom right. Click that and then select 'propose new configuration'. Save and exit. Reboot.

Hopefully that will configure grub and get your boot loader back.
    Proposed new configuration and clicked Finish. No errors.

Rebooted, and got this:

initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd-2.6.18.8-0.9-default

Error 19: Linux Kernel must be loaded before initrd.

Press any key to continue.

So I pressed a key and it brought me to the GNU GRUB option menu where I could only choose the -2.6.18.8-0.9-default.
    Late

Did you hit enter, and did the -2.6.18.8-0.9-default kernel load?

No, I just got the same error as before. It was a not so fun loop.
    Late

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast