trying to "see" old harddrive.

Hi all,

I had a 40gig that I have Opensuse11 installed on, but I did something to the setup, and it wouldn’t boot anymore.

So now I installed a newer 160gig HD, and did a fresh opensuse11 install.

I did plug the old 40 gigger as a slave, to retrieve my thunderbird email, but I cannot see where the contents of this hd is located.

How do I get into this 40gigger?

Thanks

Heeter

Heeter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had a 40gig that I have Opensuse11 installed on, but I did something
> to the setup, and it wouldn’t boot anymore.
>
> So now I installed a newer 160gig HD, and did a fresh opensuse11
> install.
>
> I did plug the old 40 gigger as a slave, to retrieve my thunderbird
> email, but I cannot see where the contents of this hd is located.
>
> How do I get into this 40gigger?

Is it not seen in the things logged in dmesg? I would expect your main drive to
be at /dev/sda and the slave at /dev/sdb.

What does your PC’s BIOS show? Perhaps the drive died.

Larry

but I cannot see where the contents of this hd is located

You didn’t tell us what ways you tried to see the drive?
Have you tried:

sudo /sbin/fdisk -l

to list the drives that Suse sees?
Or in a slightly more informative fashion get a listing from Yast –> system –> partitioner
That should answer the question “is the drive sensed by Suse”

Hey guys

Thanks for the replies.

I would like my thunderbird and my firefox folders from my old drive and install on my new drive, but I don’t know where in Opensuse to go and look into the slave and retrieve the folder.

Sorry, should of explained it better.

Heeter

It’s a hidden file called “.thunderbird” in /home/yourname/.thunderbird

While you’re there you might like to get also “.mozilla/firefox” for your Firefox faves.

Thanks, Swerdna

But how do I get there?

I cannot access the folders from the slaved drive, I do see it in the partitioner, but I don’t how to access the files from it. Which application do I use to open the slaved drives folders?

Heeter

Hi. First i suggest to locate the device node for sure. It should be /dev/sdb , but also you have to figure the partition scheme of that drive. So open a console , log in as root and perform the command : fdisk -l . It will show the drives/partitions found by the system. Now it’s only a matter to mount the right partition. For the next let’s assume that you found an ext3(with the previous command) like /dev/sdb1. In to yast system partitioner and there select the partition. Double click there and in the new form select a mount point by your choice. Accept and reboot to make it simple. Otherway in a console log in as root again: mkdir temp
mount /dev/sdb1 temp
Now you can browse your old hd looking at the directory temp with the file browser you prefer

I do see it in the partitioner, I tried mounting it to /tmp, rebooted and I still can’t see the folders on konqueror.

Can I mount it through fstab, instead?

Heeter

Yes modifying fstab is the right choice to have the drive automatically mounted at boot time but if you don’t know exactly what to do is a pain. Let yast do this job for you. Anyway if you mount ‘by hand’ (see my last post) what happens browsing /tmp? And if you give the command mount with no parameters as root in a console, does your drive show there between the already mounted file systems? Excuse me if something could not be so clear but i am using my cellphone now

YAHOO!!

I did it, Thanks bcrisciotti

Just like you said, I needed a reboot, but it’s all there.

Thanks a million man,

And say Hi for me to whoever is on the phone,

Heeter

That’s really nice to know you have solved! See you again on this fantastic forum