Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openSUSE Wiki: KDE Ideas of 11.1

Default openSUSE Wiki: KDE Ideas of 11.1

KDE/Ideas/11.1 - openSUSE

I quickly copied over the basic KDE Ideas page, and expanded it with some suggestions.

I intend to expand it even further with plenty of more ideas when I have more time at home infront of a Linux box. (I'm at work in front of a Windoze box). I also plan on uploading some screenshots with some suggestions for colors, icons, widget settings, etc.

What do you guys think of those ideas posted at the wiki, and does anyone else have ideas to contribute?

Default Re: openSUSE Wiki: KDE Ideas of 11.1

Looking good from here, not sure how feasible all the ideas are but then I'm no expert. It would be nice to see the KDE 3.5 menu icon (or something similar) in KDE 4, if plasma permits it.
    Linux using monkey

Baron NNTP User

enderandrew wrote:

>
    > 'KDE/Ideas/11.1 - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Ideas/11.1)
    >
    > I quickly copied over the basic KDE Ideas page, and expanded it with
    > some suggestions.
    >
    > I intend to expand it even further with plenty of more ideas when I
    > have more time at home infront of a Linux box. (I'm at work in front
    > of a Windoze box). I also plan on uploading some screenshots with
    > some suggestions for colors, icons, widget settings, etc.
    >
    > What do you guys think of those ideas posted at the wiki, and does
    > anyone else have ideas to contribute?

Looks good ! Now it needs to be advertised more widely, not just inside
    the Linux community, but in the wider spectrum of users and potential
    users !

--
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

enderandrew wrote:

>
    > 'KDE/Ideas/11.1 - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Ideas/11.1)
    >
    > I quickly copied over the basic KDE Ideas page, and expanded it with
    > some suggestions.
    >
    > I intend to expand it even further with plenty of more ideas when I
    > have more time at home infront of a Linux box. (I'm at work in front
    > of a Windoze box). I also plan on uploading some screenshots with some
    > suggestions for colors, icons, widget settings, etc.
    >
    > What do you guys think of those ideas posted at the wiki, and does
    > anyone else have ideas to contribute?
    >
    >

++ initiative... have you pointed the devs to the site as well via the mailing lists? They'll need to know it as well.

My additional 2c.... though:

o -debug packages in UNSTABLE: shouldn't be default, although I'd agree that users genuinely interested in helping test the release should be "messaged" that -debug packages will provide vital feedback to the devs. I know that Aaron brought this up in one of his previous posts, due the volume of useless backtraces submitted to bugzilla due to missing -debug packages. But -debug packages considerably add to bandwidth requirements (and there's no delta-updates for build service packages), add a bit of drag to system performance, and will cause grief for power users that *don't* want debug packages for everything; even if they can be removed, they would still get pulled in with every update if they became integrated with pattern dependencies. While I can see the benefit to having debug symbols available for tracking errors, I think this is overkill...

o Agree about the repositories, though there has been some discussion about reformatting... you may want to track the mailing list for this one.

o Packages from kde-look.org that are popular or beneficial should be winding up in the community repo. *BUT* expecting them to be included by default might be a bit of a stretch. The devs are on the line for providing support for all of the packages included in openSUSE, and community packages need to be considered carefully before determining inclusion (versus keeping in the build-service etc.).

That only my 2c... I think you've done a great job overall, I applaud the initiative you took, and hopefully this will lead to more community input.

Good stuff...

Cheers,
    KV

I put together a quick concept of a color/widget/theme. I'm not artist, and I'm sure this can be improved on.

http://www.enderandrew.com/images/concept.png

That is a KDE 3 desktop. Compare it to the defaults, and I think we can all agree there is room for improvement. Feedback is welcome and encouraged. Again, I'm not artist, and I'm sure someone else can improve on it.

I'm not on any of the mailing lists. I need to Google for them really quick. I was just about to ask how to contact the devs, since they don't seem to be on the forums here.

Edit: Some notes about the concept. I was considering taking the window background and making it cream or slightly off-white, so as to soften the overall scheme. White can be bright and glaring at times. I also thought about toning done some of the dark greens. That was just one proposed color scheme. Also note the taskbar/panel has a nifty pattern to it, and I applied the "color aware" setting. I also normally roll with a fancy Emerald window decoration, but I wanted to show what it would look like with the default SUSE deco. I've also changed the icons and font. I think it makes for a much sharper looking desktop experience. openSUSE is nice, but I want to improve it.

Good list! I added an idea for making YaST use the Oxygen theme on KDE4, instead of the current Plastik spinoff. Hopefully some of these ideas will make it into 11.1.

Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    I put together a quick concept of a color/widget/theme. I'm not artist, and I'm sure this can be improved on.

http://www.enderandrew.com/images/concept.png

That is a KDE 3 desktop. Compare it to the defaults, and I think we can all agree there is room for improvement. Feedback is welcome and encouraged. Again, I'm not artist, and I'm sure someone else can improve on it.

I'm not on any of the mailing lists. I need to Google for them really quick. I was just about to ask how to contact the devs, since they don't seem to be on the forums here.

Edit: Some notes about the concept. I was considering taking the window background and making it cream or slightly off-white, so as to soften the overall scheme. White can be bright and glaring at times. I also thought about toning done some of the dark greens. That was just one proposed color scheme. Also note the taskbar/panel has a nifty pattern to it, and I applied the "color aware" setting. I also normally roll with a fancy Emerald window decoration, but I wanted to show what it would look like with the default SUSE deco. I've also changed the icons and font. I think it makes for a much sharper looking desktop experience. openSUSE is nice, but I want to improve it.
    I've got to admit I like that!
    I think there may a a little too much green, but the sidebar of konqueror looks awesome.

Good work!

Any other feedback?

I'm considering revising the concept.

Replace Kopete with Kmess. And I would suggest using Qtqurve instead of Domino.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey View Post
    Looking good from here, not sure how feasible all the ideas are but then I'm no expert. It would be nice to see the KDE 3.5 menu icon (or something similar) in KDE 4, if plasma permits it.
    You have the option of the old style kde menu or the new one in kde4.1. (I have both) The taskbar is more customizable, but still can't set transparency or location -- at least not that I have been able to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast