KDE 4.0.85

Hm, just got my computer updated to 4.0.85 using factory (well, except the KDE games. YaST complains about an unsolvable dependency there. Not a biggie though), and I wonder if anyone else has noticed these regressions:

1. The taskbar flicker when OpenOffice is running has returned. It was gone (at least on my machine) during the 4.0.84 release (using the nvidia driver from their repo, and composite on)
  2. The places sidebar in Dolphin does not honor the single-click setting.
  3. The text beneath the icons in a folderview is, well, rather on and off. Sometimes it’s there, and sometimes it’s not. When it’s not, you can reveal the text by hovering the pointer above it.

I’d post these to the kde-devel mailing list and ask if others not on SUSE are seeing these issues. If they are SUSE specific, open a bug through Novel’s bugzilla. Otherwise open bugs on KDE’s bug database.

i’ve seen someone else report the these problems. i’ve never had any of them though.
i suspect they might be from a less than perfect upgrade.

SauronXXX wrote:

>
> Hm, just got my computer updated to 4.0.85 using factory (well, except
> the KDE games. YaST complains about an unsolvable dependency there. Not
> a biggie though), and I wonder if anyone else has noticed these
> regressions:
>
> 1. The taskbar flicker when OpenOffice is running has returned. It was
> gone (at least on my machine) during the 4.0.84 release (using the
> nvidia driver from their repo, and composite on)
> 2. The places sidebar in Dolphin does not honor the single-click
> setting.
> 3. The text beneath the icons in a folderview is, well, rather on and
> off. Sometimes it’s there, and sometimes it’s not. When it’s not, you
> can reveal the text by hovering the pointer above it.
>
>
the games issue is fixed in the latest update to factory

Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 3.5.9, Opera 9.x weekly

So it is, and the remaining issues (at least according to devs…) are already fixed (the Dolphin issue) or a driver issue. I’m not sure I’m buying the latter though…a part of the problem, sure. That I buy. But when the only change is otherwise an upgrade from 4.0.84 to 4.0.85 and nothing else has changed (and especially not the driver) it sounds like something changed in the kde-code to trigger the driver bug if it’s a driver bug at all.

anybody has the problem that the login and log out sounds no longer work and kmix doesn’t start on log in? :confused:

Sort of…kmix start just fine. I do get the logout sound (most of the time that is) but not the login sound.

I don’t get any login or logout and kmix doesn’t even start on login, have to start it manually but audio it self works though :frowning:

SauronXXX wrote:

> So it is, and the remaining issues (at least according to devs…) are
> already fixed (the Dolphin issue) or a driver issue. I’m not sure I’m
> buying the latter though…a part of the problem, sure.

If you’re referring to the nVidia driver, it’s an issue with nVidia and Qt4/X11, and not KDE per se. Qt4-only apps experience the quirks, the kdelibs have nothing to do with it, in fact the kde devs have tried to work around them (as with kwin and the nvidia-quirks mode). So it’s an issue for Trolltech and nVidia to resolve, and it’s a bugger because the problem isn’t consistently repeatable. Though you can bet that if Maya, for instance, relied on Qt, nVidia would have addressed the issue by now.

This is probably a good place to insert a comment about the benefit of nVidia opensourcing their drivers or at least releasing specifications, which could help KDE and Tt diagnose the issue themselves. I actually don’t have any issues with my nVidia chipset, but I empathize with others that do.

I’ve usually sided with nVidia in the closed vs OSS approach, simply because nVidia generally provides outstanding support for linux (compared to many other mainstream hardware vendors), but this situation is a bit frustrating. Regardless, the KDE devs aren’t at fault here.

Cheers,
KV

Yes, I refer to the nVidia driver. And like I said, I do think the driver is the main problem. However, since it worked in 4.0.84 but not in 4.0.85, and the qt-version hasn’t changed and the driver hasn’t changed, well to me that sounds like something was introduced between those two KDE versions that makes it more likely that the bug will be triggered.

That’s not a critique against the KDE devs though, since I know they’re doing their best to work around problems they know about but can’t do much (on their own) to solve.

However, much as I like the nvidia cards I own and has owned in the past I would be very hesitant to buy one today.

Is it just me, or does common sense no longer apply?

KDE4 doesn’t work properly with Nvidia cards, therefore the drivers are the problem, even though KDE3/Gnome/Enlightenment/E17/XFCE/Flux etc’ all work perfectly?

And with Compiz as well!

Sounds like warped logic to me :confused:

Well, of all of the things you listed only KDE4 uses Qt4 extensively (and exclusively if it’s a pure KDE4 desktop). So, if the problem is Qt4 and Nvidia related, it makes perfect sense that only KDE4 would be affected.

So, if the problem is Qt4 and Nvidia related, it makes perfect sense that only KDE4 would be affected

My point exactly, it’s a KDE4 error, not an Nvidia error.

But the KDE4 people seem to be blaming Nvidia for the problems o_O.

Strange :slight_smile:

a problem even occurs in gnome and compiz fusion for example hovering over the close and minimize buttons in openoffice writer while compiz is running.