Cannot Chown Limewire foler on Windows partition

I get The Selected Folder is invalid. you may not have permissions to write to the selected folder. when trying to set
the folder below as my save folder.

The full path to the folder is /windows/D/Users/Bill/Documents/LimeWire/Saved

I can see root as bperrotta in dolphin cause I successfully chowned it.

I su become root and chown -R bperrotta /windows or chown bperrotta Saved directory directly, before the folder. I check in Dolphin and I’m the owner.
I go back to limewire and get the same error again. Look back through dolphin and the permissions have reverted back. I can make the limeWire Save folder on the windows partition, the save folder only when I start limewire as root. I do not believe i should have to do this what the heck is wrong?:mad:

This has been erking me since last night.

Bill

If the command you’re entering is really chown -R bperrotta /windows then you’re not changing the ownership from root. You want to enter *chown -R <yourusename>:users bperrotta/windows *. If you do directory list (l or ls) you’ll see the name and group of the owner next to the folder name.

Sorry but i cannot understand you.
I added my self to the group root.

this does not work chown -R bperrotta:root bperrotta/windows
chown: cannot access `bperrotta/windows’: No such file or directory

chown -R bperrotta:users bperrotta/windows

nor does this work

This only works but it reverts back

chown -R bperrotta:root /windows/D/Users/Bill/Documents/LimeWire/Saved

or this

chown -R bperrotta:root bperrotta/windows

This only works but it reverts back

chown -R bperrotta:root /windows/D/Users/Bill/Documents/LimeWire/Saved

You’ve might have windows mounted in default mode which is read-only

ok but i never mounted it suse did it by default and if that is the case how can i change it to read write? and is it safe to do so?
Another thing is if it is mounted read only why is it that if i am root I can save mp3s to it? But not as a regular user
and as a regular user i can’t set it as a save directory but as root i can?

I don’t know why as root you can save to it. That sounds dodgy. Lets see what the propertites of the mount are first, whether it’s the read-only or the read-write form. Look in the file system table to discover that. That’s a text file “fstab” located at /etc/fstab. You can display the contents with this command in a console:

cat /etc/fstab

Here’s a line from fstab in my computer showing a read/write mount of an ntfs partition:

/dev/disk/by-id/blah_blah_-part1 /mnt/sdb1 ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

Note the bit ntfs-3g. That’s the read-write driver.
Note the bit part1. That means partition number 1. You will know which partition has windows on it in your computer. And you can identify the line corresponding to windows from partx, where x is your number (probably 1).

Post the similar line for your windows partition back here and we’ll see what access rights are contained in it’s options and its driver.

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600AAJS-_WD-WMAS20243462-part1 /windows/D ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

Here is my fstab looks similar to yours still don’t get it
root can read-write through limewire but regular user can’t maybe a limewire bug? My C and E drives have similar statements but not important because the one i want to write to is D.

So we know that the correct driver is being used. Please post the output you get in a terminal after you issue this command:

ls -l /windows/D/Users/Bill/Documents/

and also this one:

ls -l /windows/D/Users/Bill/Documents/LimeWire/

Sorry, don’t worry about that – I found the problem. Change your line in fstab to make the mount writeable for you. Change the tail end of it from this:

users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.U TF-8 0 0

to this:

defaults 0 0

It had a coding that didn’t suit your situation – too restrictive. After you do that and reboot, there should be no need to chown because you will have full rights in there.

And also just for my interest – how did the mount get to be the way it was – is that now the default that one gets when one simply installs openSUSE 11.0?

Yes open suse 11.0 is mounted like that by default.
I just vied the file changed it like you said.
here goes nothing rebooting.

Yes that fstab setting is default for open suse 11.0.

I vied fstab and made the correction.
Works perfectly.

I’m glad for you.

This thread has surprised me because the default install of windows partitions has changed from openSUSE 10.3, where the default was for a driver different from ntfs-3g to be used; now it’s ntfs-3g by default.

Another day – another fragment :slight_smile: